One Problem that needs Fixed

Here is a little quote from Profootballtalk.com:

Once again, Packers G.M. Ted Thompson has re-signed one of his developing young players for the long haul. This time, it came at a very team-friendly price.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop, 26, has agreed to a four-year, $19 million extension with the team. That’s nice coin for a former sixth-round pick, but it’s a steal considering Bishop’s versatile play this year.

Now, compare that to our Kelsay signing this year. How in ___'s name should we ever have paid Kelsay that kind of money, without having seen him perform high enough to merit it? That president set should be an anomaly. We have to be able to cut ties with guys that aren't good enough, and we need to give the money to guys that are. How did Kelsay merit sticking around over, say, Incognito? Where will he fit, alongside Moats, Merriman, and whoever we draft, not to mention Batten? I don't want to think about Kelsay being out there over Moats, or a high round rookie - and it's ridiculous to see 6 million a year as a reserve.

Here's to hoping the Bills start dealing with players a little more wisely. That Nix move was too much character and not enough talent driven.

Once again, Packers G.M. Ted Thompson has re-signed one of his developing young players for the long haul. This time, it came at a very team-friendly price.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop, 26, has agreed to a four-year, $19 million extension with the team. That’s nice coin for a former sixth-round pick, but it’s a steal considering Bishop’s versatile play this year.

Now, compare that to our Kelsay signing this year. How in ___'s name should we ever have paid Kelsay that kind of money, without having seen him perform high enough to merit it? That president set should be an anomaly. We have to be able to cut ties with guys that aren't good enough, and we need to give the money to guys that are. How did Kelsay merit sticking around over, say, Incognito? Where will he fit, alongside Moats, Merriman, and whoever we draft, not to mention Batten? I don't want to think about Kelsay being out there over Moats, or a high round rookie - and it's ridiculous to see 6 million a year as a reserve.

Here's to hoping the Bills start dealing with players a little more wisely. That Nix move was too much character and not enough talent driven.

Oh my God, will you people get over Incognito? If he's so good maybe we can just sign him in free agency since he signed a one year vet minimum deal with Miami, who last time I checked underachieved on offense all around this year.

You're right, Kelsay was overpaid, but at Incognito's expense? I'm sure that we can do better than that.

You had me up until the "***"s. Why pick on the Kelsay signing in this scenario? They are talking about re-signing rookie contracts. If anything, this should be compared to how we are handling the Poz scenario.

Are Poz and Bishop elite LBs? No.

Are they worth keeping around on the team so as not to create MORE holes? DEFINITELY

The problem on the Bills hasnt been signing too many players to overpriced contracts. It's letting your players walk as soon as they can. This keeps the franchise in a constant state of RE-building, instead of just building a team around your guys.

Yes, I didn't mean Incognito at the expense of another - I meant, considering the state of our O-line, they let a guy like Incognito walk - who is better than, say, Green - and on the flip side, they sign Kelsay to that ridiculous contract. Nix needs to learn to manage the players better - and the other poster is right, to keep the guys we draft who have promise, and to let go of the guys who aren't going to help us in the long run. We just need to see him manage the roster better - and let's hope it starts this offseason.

Yes, I didn't mean Incognito at the expense of another - I meant, considering the state of our O-line, they let a guy like Incognito walk - who is better than, say, Green - and on the flip side, they sign Kelsay to that ridiculous contract. Nix needs to learn to manage the players better - and the other poster is right, to keep the guys we draft who have promise, and to let go of the guys who aren't going to help us in the long run. We just need to see him manage the roster better - and let's hope it starts this offseason.

Perhaps Kelsay is an example of that however. At the time he and Torbor were the Bills starting OLBs with only Maybin or undrafted Coleman pressing either for time. Moats was still playing ILB and was not a consideration as a replacement for Kelsay and Merriman was still on SD. So they resigned Kelsay, a leader and good locker room guy, to an extension to fill the void until a better replacement could be found. The money seems high, but they didn't give him a raise from his previous deal, in fact a decrease.

It tells me the Bills don't think Poz is worth that much, so they want ot see where things fall out with new CBA as tha will estabish likely salary for mediocre type players.

That's interesting because they were drafted in the same year. Bishop gets a new deal and Posluszny is told he has to wait until the CBA is signed before the Bills will come to the table. That sort of tells you something.

That's interesting because they were drafted in the same year. Bishop gets a new deal and Posluszny is told he has to wait until the CBA is signed before the Bills will come to the table. That sort of tells you something.

Hmmmmmm.......

The problem on the Bills hasnt been signing too many players to overpriced contracts. It's letting your players walk as soon as they can. This keeps the franchise in a constant state of RE-building, instead of just building a team around your guys.

^^ CORRECT ANSWER ^^

Unless you manage Ralph's finances for a living, why do you care what he pays for player X or Y? All we as fans need to care about is the quality of the roster. Get over the salary envy thing. To those of you who complain about Kelsay's contract - would you really be satisfied if Kelsay's roster spot was taken up by a cheaper, vet minimum street free agent?

^^ CORRECT ANSWER ^^

Unless you manage Ralph's finances for a living, why do you care what he pays for player X or Y? All we as fans need to care about is the quality of the roster. Get over the salary envy thing. To those of you who complain about Kelsay's contract - would you really be satisfied if Kelsay's roster spot was taken up by a cheaper, vet minimum street free agent?

I don't care about the contract numbers, but if said player could actually seal an edge or make a tackle or ... well ... make football plays then hell yes.