More than 1,000 blackbirds fall dead from sky in AR

Beerball

and now Alabama

and California:

Over 100 birds were found dead on the side of a California highway this past weekend, and a collision with a big rig is also believed to be responsible for that incident. One witness allegedly saw the incident and said "it looked like they were committing suicide."

back to Alabama:

An estimated 300 dead birds have been found on the side of the I-65 highway in Alabama, WAFF News reports. According to wildlife biologist Bill Gates, the birds are grackles, a common black bird, one of the same species reported in the past weeks to have been found dead in mass quantities in other nearby states like Arkansas, Louisiana and Kentucky.

Gates told WAFF that the feathers scattered across the location suggest trauma, and he believes a semi-truck or other vehicle may be responsible for their death.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200 Cows dead, likely because of BVD

BVD is bad news for farmers and very easily spread. Many farmers vaccinate their cattle, it costs about $.37 per shot (2 shots needed). People are saying this is linked to the birds, I think it's hilarious and just more proof to me that the media has no f'n clue what they're talking about in sensationalizing this stuff.

Think of BVD like chicken pox, but much faster acting. It is on one cow today, could show up at any time with a past exposure, and spreads like wild fire.

200 Cows dead, likely because of BVD

BVD is bad news for farmers and very easily spread. Many farmers vaccinate their cattle, it costs about $.37 per shot (2 shots needed). People are saying this is linked to the birds, I think it's hilarious and just more proof to me that the media has no f'n clue what they're talking about in sensationalizing this stuff.

Think of BVD like chicken pox, but much faster acting. It is on one cow today, could show up at any time with a past exposure, and spreads like wild fire.

Please tell us that it's not Bovine VD.

Please tell us that it's not Bovine VD.

There are no serious types of sexual diseases for cattle, if you are serious. BVD is bovine viral diherrea.

If you were joking, well, talk to my bull, he likes to play, a 1,800 lbs puppy dog. He will chase you just for fun then get inches away and stop on a dime, or try to rub his head against you and headbutt you, or just follow you annoying the crap out of you. If my dad goes around him he get angry, though, and he chases my mom constantly and charges her.

There are no serious types of sexual diseases for cattle, if you are serious. BVD is bovine viral diherrea.

If you were joking, well, talk to my bull, he likes to play, a 1,800 lbs puppy dog. He will chase you just for fun then get inches away and stop on a dime, or try to rub his head against you and headbutt you, or just follow you annoying the crap out of you. If my dad goes around him he get angry, though, and he chases my mom constantly and charges her.

That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

Didn't know what BVD is, but now that I do I hope never to get it.:ph34r:

Time for a new bull...

Time for a new bull...

My mom sings to him, so I don't blame him for chasing her.

My dad doesn't pay attention, and walks around casually, which can irritate the bull. It is best to stay away from the guy unless you have reason. On the other hand, I can get a sack of feed and lead him around like a horse. When he gets out I just lead him where I want him to go, but if you chase him or show signs of aggression - that's when you're in trouble.

BTW, for those of you who think cow-tipping is real, it's not. It is a joke that cowfolk play on everyone else. Anyone who says they've done it is lying.

Good education?

Speculation has said syphilis was first found in cattle, according to studies. This isn't like the AIDS/monkey myth. A lot has to do with the fact that generally most cow/calf operations are kept closed herd. My bull has 180 working days a year where all he has to do is service 30 mama cows, the other 185 he only has to eat as much as he possibly can while dreaming of getting through that fence. He's torn it down a few times to get to the cows.

I'd volunteer but I'd have to see pictures of his mom first.

She's 63 (I think?), isn't that a little too young for you?

Speculation has said syphilis was first found in cattle, according to studies. This isn't like the AIDS/monkey myth. A lot has to do with the fact that generally most cow/calf operations are kept closed herd. My bull has 180 working days a year where all he has to do is service 30 mama cows, the other 185 he only has to eat as much as he possibly can while dreaming of getting through that fence. He's torn it down a few times to get to the cows.

She's 63 (I think?), isn't that a little too young for you?

I'd have to dump my young chick wife (56) for her.

I've never got this. So the male of the species is the bull and I don't even know if I've ever seen one of those in real life. And, the female of the species is the cow, of which I've seen a million.............How did that all work out, where there seems to be like 1000:1 female/male ratio...........And, where do I sign up?

I've never got this. So the male of the species is the bull and I don't even know if I've ever seen one of those in real life. And, the female of the species is the cow, of which I've seen a million.............How did that all work out, where there seems to be like 1000:1 female/male ratio...........And, where do I sign up?

Every bull calf I get has an expiration date the day he is born. This is true to most farms, especially dairy. The females make babies or milk, the bulls burgers, steaks and roasts. The dairy breed is the most important, you only need roughly 1 bull (aged 3 yrs) for every 30-40 cows. All bull calves are steered usually the day they are born or shortly after to prevent the hormones from bulking up the bad meats (neck, shoulders, etc). Most of your ground beef and cheap beef is Holstein or Jersey. You'll never ever know the difference because there is none. The Angus breed has done a tremendous job marketing themselves to believe it is the best; but quite simply, it's not. It's the cheapest. An Angus steer is fully grown around 1,000 lbs. Most other popular breeds in the country, continental, finish out around 1,300+. At around 2-3 lbs/day in growth that's an extra 100 days to finish that animal out and a much higher cost in feed. It is cheaper to take an Angus to full size and lop its head off.

You've seen males before, but they're steers and do not look like big giant bulls. Steers live about 2 years, females will live 15 and drop calves every year until they can't. When a cow doesn't have a calf inside of her she's inside of a freezer.

Every bull calf I get has an expiration date the day he is born. This is true to most farms, especially dairy. The females make babies or milk, the bulls burgers, steaks and roasts. The dairy breed is the most important, you only need roughly 1 bull (aged 3 yrs) for every 30-40 cows. All bull calves are steered usually the day they are born or shortly after to prevent the hormones from bulking up the bad meats (neck, shoulders, etc). Most of your ground beef and cheap beef is Holstein or Jersey. You'll never ever know the difference because there is none. The Angus breed has done a tremendous job marketing themselves to believe it is the best; but quite simply, it's not. It's the cheapest. An Angus steer is fully grown around 1,000 lbs. Most other popular breeds in the country, continental, finish out around 1,300+. At around 2-3 lbs/day in growth that's an extra 100 days to finish that animal out and a much higher cost in feed. It is cheaper to take an Angus to full size and lop its head off.

You've seen males before, but they're steers and do not look like big giant bulls. Steers live about 2 years, females will live 15 and drop calves every year until they can't. When a cow doesn't have a calf inside of her she's inside of a freezer.

I just had to google to find out what steers are. So, how do they make the decision on which ones are lucky enough not to be steered??