Fixing the DL

FightClub

I considered adding this to the Dareus thread but decided I wanted it to have its own. Here are my thoughts to how we could really transform the 3-4 DL in a few short steps.

1. Sign Paul Soliai - Gailey was really effusive in his praise of this guy after the last Dolphins game a few weeks ago. This would be our one and only big free agent signing of the off season, making it not so unrealistic

2. Draft Marcellus Daruus in Round 1 - I saw him play today and am convinced he is the guy for us, even over Fairley or Bowers

3. Extend Merriman (already done)

4. With Soliai in the fold, move K. Wiliams over to DE in the 3-4

5. Continue to develop Moats and Antonio Coleman for the other OLB spot

These steps would make the "DL" (lineman and OLB):

Merrimam - K. Williams - Soliai - Dareus - Moats / Coleman

Quite a transformation at almost every position from what we have put on the field this year.

Players like Troup, Carrington, D. Edwards, S. Johnson and (I guess) Kelsay become decent depth rather than questionable starters. Players like Stroud and McCargo who have been questionable or are aging can be let go.

I would then use the 4 draft picks the Bills have in rounds 2 - 4 on two ILBs, a RT and a SS. Partly because I assume Poz and Whitner are gone. We need better ILB play - youth and speed. I don't have the names but perhaps Bruce Carter or Quan Sturdivant, both from UNC, would work in round 2, with a RT in round 3 and so on. Rounds 5 - 7 can be used for TE, backup QB, and whatever. I know folks want a TE but I have a feeling they'd like to develop Scott Chandler into a good running down TE and then I don't think Gailey wants to use a TE on passing downs (3rd and long), preferring the 4 and 5 WR sets.

Thoughts?

Edited by FightClub

Quan Sturdivant was one of the better players I saw over the last few days. Love to see him in the fold. I agree about Chan going 4 wide rather than using a TE.

I considered adding this to the Dareus thread but decided I wanted it to have its own. Here are my thoughts to how we could really transform the 3-4 DL in a few short steps.

1. Sign Paul Soliai - Gailey was really effusive in his praise of this guy after the last Dolphins game a few weeks ago. This would be our one and only big free agent signing of the off season, making it not so unrealistic

2. Draft Marcellus Daruus in Round 1 - I saw him play today and am convinced he is the guy for us, even over Fairley or Bowers

Quite a transformation at almost every position from what we have put on the field this year.

Players like Troup, Carrington, D. Edwards, S. Johnson and (I guess) Kelsay become decent depth rather than questionable starters. Players like Stroud and McCargo who have been questionable or are aging can be let go.

I would then use the 4 draft picks the Bills have in rounds 2 - 4 on two ILBs, a RT and a SS. Partly because I assume Poz and Whitner are gone. We need better ILB play - youth and speed. I don't have the names but perhaps Bruce Carter or Quan Sturdivant, both from UNC, would work in round 2, with a RT in round 3 and so on. Rounds 5 - 7 can be used for TE, backup QB, and whatever. I know folks want a TE but I have a feeling they'd like to develop Scott Chandler into a good running down TE and then I don't think Gailey wants to use a TE on passing downs (3rd and long), preferring the 4 and 5 WR sets.

Thoughts?

I am trying to figure out why people think guys like Troupe and Carrington are going to be "depth players"

They are not.....they were rookies this year and they may have been brought along slowly.

I am pretty sure Troupe is a starter next year......depending on what defense we roll with and if Stroud is released I think Carrington starts next year as well

Thoughts?

Good Post! I agree with all of you points. I have been pushing for signing Soliai the past couple days so we can have more beef in the middle making Williams flexable and we can use his motor on the edge (hopefully Nix is reading this so he can please Bills fans). Williams is a stud and the heart and sole of the D and moving him the DE would give him an opportunity to make more plays and would help our run D right away. D. Edwards wouldn't be for depth he would have to play the other end spot but I see where you are going. Daruus looked like a man amoung boys today, that guy is a beast and would be a great addition, although I think we resign Poz he is a blue collar type player and is good at stopping the run but slow in coverage. Moats is going to be a stud in a couple of years. I don't know about drafting a SS we have a few even if Whitner goes (Wilson, and Byrd) would do just fine and will be ok if we can get a pass rush. With the draft I would go all front 7 with a couple OL in there.

I am trying to figure out why people think guys like Troupe and Carrington are going to be "depth players"

They are not.....they were rookies this year and they may have been brought along slowly.

I am pretty sure Troupe is a starter next year......depending on what defense we roll with and if Stroud is released I think Carrington starts next year as well

I agree that Troupe and Carrington are going to develop nicely for us. Physical maturity takes time for many players on the D-line. However, I cannot arge with the importance of getting someone of Soliai's calibre while moving Kyle to DE. I don't care how stacked you think you are at any position, injuries happen at the worst time and quality rotations for the D-line would be huge for us. Carrington backing up someone like Dareus brings the image of what good defenses seem to always have come playoff time, QUALITY depth in times of adversity. If we are going to ever dominate the Patriots, our defense needs to be AMAZING. It's a tough reality, but if we don't build one then we'll just have to wait for Brady to retire. But hey, I am glad that you are one of the few who views our 2 rookie linemen as having upside. A true offseason will do wonders for them physically.

interesting twist Fightclub and i agree on a couple points. But John has a very solid point with Troupe and Carrington. Those boys are going to continue to improve and we picked them with starting in mind i think. at least Troupe

We have to get the NT of our 3-4 dreams some way or another. And of course move Kyle off center.

I have a happy place thought. Healthy and happy Merriman and our boy Moats and Kyle all pass rushing on the same play. Give me an ilb who can cover too. awe shucks. we would be turnover leaders and cause fear. Even Mckelvin might start looking decent enough

we would do well to strengthen RT also.

TE needs to start, so FA?

I think we will run more next year if we are able to solidify the OL. Just have not had been consistent enough. good efforts though

Thanks. All good points. I have no problem with Troupe and Carrington (not a hater on them or anything).

But if you look at the top of the draft where we will be, it seems our choices are to draft QB, DL or CB based on Best Player Available (at this time anyway).

I am a huge Fitz supporter and so I don't want to draft QB and I doubt they will draft CB. So even though we already picked those two players and even though I agree they have potential, if we are going to draft DL then I favor Dareus and, based on that, put forward the above plan.

I suppose if Nix prefers Fairley then we wouldn't sign Soliai given that we'd have Fairley and Troupe but honestly I'd rather have Soliai and Troupe with Williams and Dareus on either side. Of course signing Soliai might be a total dream but it helps when your head coach is a huge fan of a player AND he fills an obvious need. We need to shore up this run defense or we're not going anywhere.

As to the other point, yes, maybe D. Edwards starts over Dareus at the beginning of the season but I don't imagine that lasts too long.

Fightclub for GM.

I personally like Bowers and Fairley better because they are both great vrs the run and Dareus just doesnt seem to be as good of a run defender to me. If we loose and pick 4th, lets just hope they all come out bc then we will have a shot at one. That DL with Sioli, KW, and a stud draft pick would be able to dominate most every OL we would face. Carrington and Troupe would both play a heck of a lot and so would Edwards - they would not be wasted picks. I personally would like to rely on them as backups than starts at this point in their careers. I like. :thumbsup:

Edited by Thoner7

my thoughts to how we could really transform the 3-4 DL in a few short steps

I'm with ya in general. They need the true NT. Soliai is a primo candidate. Something clicked for him this year and he's come on strong for the Fish. Getting Nolan as DC probably helped his development.

Kyle to 34 DE. Yes. On running downs at least. On obvious passing downs I think he'd slide back inward when they pull the fat in favor of a pressure front.

I missed the Cap One bowl. I'll have to look for Dareus highlights. DE wouldn't be a bad pick, but I don't believe it's as big a need as many. We're talking about a three man front. We've just covered two of the spots. That leaves one spot and a bunch of guys already on the roster to compete for it or fill it by committee. For example, Kelsay might rotate in for pass downs and the nickel (except for bench depth and special teams, he has no other business on field in a 34). Spencer Johnson has been better than Carrington or Stroud vs. the run. Dwan Edwards is probably the most balanced.

About the biggest need, that would be LBs. And this scenario already used free agency to cover the other big need, a zero tech. The remaining defensive need I'd add is coaching.

I'm not a believer in Merriman, and I think his extension might be a case of ... aw heck, the term slips my mind. When stocks continually fall, but the investor rides them to the bottom in desperate hope of a turnaround? Anyway. I am a big believer in Nix's talent evaluation, but in this case he's purely gambling, because we know how long it's been since SM produced anything that could be evaluated. I hope the gamble works and I end up being wrong. All I want is a smothering D.

Edited by steampunk.

Thoughts?

I have not watched any of those rookies you mention above as starters in next year's 3-4. Neither do I know much about Soliai as our "big FA signing." I trust your own research is good on those guys, so of course the Bills 3-4 would be much improved....especially with moving Kelsay out as a starter.

However, I still believe Buddy needs to use rounds 2-3 for his next QB. Locker, Mallet...whomever he thinks is best on his board.