Player to watch today

Trader

Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Probably the most complete TE in draft Blocks and catches well. A player like him could really crank up the Bills Offense. Also any Wisconsin Offensive lineman would be a great addition to the Bills. Carini gets a lot of press and he is good but Moffitt a guard is just as good as he is. He really moves really well. All Wisconsin offensive linemen are huge they average 321 accross the front. There running backs are five yards down the field before there is contact.

No thanks. TE is the least of my worries and probably should be dead last in position of need right now.

I disagree...this team has greater needs than TE right now, but to say that TE should be last on the priority list is just silly. We are VERY poor at this position right now, and adding a guy like Kendricks would give Chan another weapon to work with. IMO...Buffalo hasn't had a good tight end since Pete Metzelaars.

To understand the potential value of the Tight End position, you should watch the replay of last week's game against the Pat's.

I disagree...this team has greater needs than TE right now, but to say that TE should be last on the priority list is just silly. We are VERY poor at this position right now, and adding a guy like Kendricks would give Chan another weapon to work with. IMO...Buffalo hasn't had a good tight end since Pete Metzelaars.

To understand the potential value of the Tight End position, you should watch the replay of last week's game against the Pat's.

I understand the full potential of having a TE but not if you have A LOT of needs right now. I still see LT, DE, NT, OLB, ILB, CB, S, as needs for this team and until we fill these needs, I wouldn't even worry about drafting a TE.

The Patriots know how to utilize their players to the fullest. Benjarvus Green Ellis, Kevin Faulk, and now Danny Woodhead. They throw the ball to Deion Branch, Wes Welker, Brandon Tate, Gronkowski, and Hernandez. Tom Brady spreads the ball around and since they got rid of Moss, they've become even more dangerous. They utilize ALL of their players on offense and they could afford to spend 2 draft picks on 2 TE's because they're deep in a lot of positions. Comparing this to the Patriots is a BAD example. We have way more needs than the Patriots do.

Can we use a TE? Sure. But not until we figure out our defense and solidify our offensive line FIRST.

Have you been watching the Bills this season?

What does this have to do with anything? The Bills passing offense looks pretty decent to me without a TE. Have YOU been watching the BIlls this season? So if we added a TE, we'll be playoff contenders? Get real

Sorry Dre :thumbdown:

I disagree that LT, NT, CB, and Safety are all greater needs than TE.

Demeterius Bell is, and will continue to be our starting LT. We just drafted our NT of the future...he's a guy by the name of Torell Troup. Cornerback is perhaps our deepest position, and even if Whitner leaves we still have George Wilson to start at safety (I don't see much of a drop-off in talent there).

As I stated in an earlier post...I agree that there are greater needs than TE right now. I will say, however, that to completely ignore the tight end position would be a great mistake. We don't even have to draft a TE...we could add one via free agency.

There are other means of adding a TE, I think Free Agency is the best route for this team.

I don't believe we need to draft a TE. We have drafted way too many TEs.

These are the TEs they have picked since 2004:

Year Rnd Pick Pos

2009 4 121 Shawn Nelson TE

2008 4 132 Derek Fine TE

2007 7 222 Derek Schouman TE

2005 3 86 Kevin Everett TE

2004 4 109 Tim Euhus TE

Most have been a waste of a pick.

The Problem is you have to take Lance Kendricks with the second round pick he most likely won't be there in the 3rd round.

If Kendricks somehow falls to the 66-69 then would probably be a better idea, however you might lose out on Dontay Moch or Mason Foster.

I think the second round pick is better used on one of these players than Kendricks:

DeMarcus Love

Justin Houston

Jason Pinkston

Ryan Kerrigan

Travis Lewis

Cameron Heyward

Martez Wilson

Allen Bailey

Drake Nevis

Corey Liuget

Bruce Carter

Its a trade off.

The team has so many needs on defense and TE is a position than usually takes years to blossom, There are very few rookie TEs that come in day 1 and perform.

They have to pass block, run block, chip block, understand when they are the hot read, run effective routes, catch the ball, practice ball security, run with the ball after the catch, and usually block and tackle on special teams at NFL speed. Its so hard to find good-great TEs because they have to do everything.

I agree with skipping a TE in the 2011 draft.

Here is a list of Big Name Free Agent TEs in 2011:

Vernon Davis, SF

Zach Miller, OAK

Owen Daniels, HOU

Kevin Boss, NYG

Second tier Free Agent TEs:

Dante Rosario, CAR

Desmond Clark, CHI

Tony Scheffler, DET

Marcedes Lewis, JAC

Brad Cottam, KC

Anthony Fasano, MIA

Matt Spaeth, PIT

Daniel Fells, STL

Jerramy Stevens, TB

Bo Scaife, TEN

Chan's offensive reputation will likely make Buffalo a more attractive location for one of these guys, They pretty much will step in and start with very little competition.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Probably the most complete TE in draft Blocks and catches well. A player like him could really crank up the Bills Offense. Also any Wisconsin Offensive lineman would be a great addition to the Bills. Carini gets a lot of press and he is good but Moffitt a guard is just as good as he is. He really moves really well. All Wisconsin offensive linemen are huge they average 321 accross the front. There running backs are five yards down the field before there is contact.

Hey Trader - Thanks for the tip. And I agree with you, we DO need a tight end, but I don't want to use one of our first 3 picks on a TE this year . . .

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

No thanks. TE is the least of my worries and probably should be dead last in position of need right now.

How can you say TE is not a need on this team? For christ sake it IS NOT JUST ABOUT RECEPTIONS.....

You see all those running plays we cant bust? Well a good portion of that is because we dont have a TE who can get that last friggen seal block down the field to make the damn play work.

Notice how when Nelson went down in the last game our red zone offense went to crap? That is because Nelson was playing our TE position......

Notice how the patriots were laying wood to our tall but thin wideouts? A linebacker does that on a a big monster TE and HE is the one scraping himself off the turf after getting layed out.

Take a look at the importance the Patriots put on Tight Ends....and realize we dont have ONE worth anything.

Kevin Boss or Zach Miller would be great on this team

WOW...You guys want a tight end that can block? Let's think about that for a sec. If our offensive line was dominant enough, why would we need a TE to help out? Face it. Our offensive line is decent. Bell is an average LT and IMO, we can do A LOT better at the RT spot. Moving him to RT and getting a stud LT would make this o-line that much more dominant.

QB, CB, S, LT, D-line, OLB, ILB should be considered before we even think about drafting a TE. I'm all for taking one via free agency, but I wouldnt waste a draft pick on one.

Edited by DreReed83

I want what you're having.

Do we have greater needs than TE?

Yep.

Is TE dead last in position of need?

Only if it's been so long that we've all forgotten - what is this thing called "TE" and how can it be used to help us?

I disagree that TE is not a position of need - and besides his receiving ability, Kendricks is a big part of why Wisconsin has 3 RBs with over 800 yeards each. I think he'll go in the 3rd round, and would definitely be worth one of our round 4 picks if he's still there...

2010 AFCA COACHES’ ALL-AMERICA TEAM: TE Lance Kendricks, Sr., Wisconsin, leads Wisconsin with 39 catches for 627 yards and five touchdowns. In addition, Kendricks has proven invaluable as a blocker for the Badgers’ high-powered rushing attack, which currently boasts three players with over 800 rushing yards and at least 13 rushing touchdowns.

Kendricks - Draft Scout Profile

(For some strange reason I also like Badgers QB Scott Tolzien in round 7 - but don't think the Bills will take a QB in the late rounds this time.)

Edited by The Senator

This is an easy solution. You guys want a TE because of his ability to block? Improve the o-line. The reason Wisconsin runs well is because of their offensive line. It's one of the biggest and most physical o-line in the nation. That's what they're known for. Not because of their TE. Wisconsin's been a running team BEFORE Kendricks played there. Shocker? I know. So don't credit the success of their running game to Kendricks.

Can we use a TE? Sure. Is it as important as an OLB, QB, ILB, CB, S? Our secondary needs A LOT of work.

And trust me. We DON'T have the league's 5th best pass defense like the stats show. 30 passing attempts per game is the 3rd fewest passes per game. In addition to 26 passing TDs which ranks 7th most in the league and 10 INTs which ranks 27th in the league. You still want to say that secondary isn't a need? That's BS.

Edited by DreReed83

This is an easy solution. You guys want a TE because of his ability to block? Improve the o-line.

I hear ya - and would certainly agree to put OL above TE on the "needs" list.

Why I want a good all-around TE though is because of the ability to make tough, physical catches.

I'm tired of watching our WR get hit by road-graders and come up woozy.

I want a big, tough, MOFU TE where when the DB tries to pancake him in the endzone, HE comes up woozy.

And he has to block like an SOB too so it doesn't telegraph "pass play" when he's in there.

Can we use a TE? Sure. Is it as important as an OLB, QB, ILB, CB, S? Our secondary needs A LOT of work.

To this I would say backatcha: You want a better secondary? There is an easy solution. Improve the D-line.

It's amazing how much better one's secondary looks when the opposing QB doesn't have time to dial up Jimmy Johns in the backfield and have it delivered to the WR before he needs to throw.

We may need better DB but we need better DL much much more urgently.

Agree this team needs to try and get some tight ends. However there are more pressing needs to deal with. Best thing to do would be to try and pick up one or two in the mid rounds 4th-6th rounds and try to get someone that way.

Picks in the 1st 3 rounds should help address the O-line and the Front 7. But a mid rounder should be spent on a tightend.

Edited by billsfan89