Maybe we should trade up

Thoner7

Here is a pretty good piece on Bradford from NFL.com. Considering Luck looks every bit as good as Bradford did, it might be worth the sacrifice to move up.

St. Louis is playing for a playoff berth because of Bradford. Don't kid yourself into thinking the Rams would be here without him. He's more than validated himself as the top overall draft pick, and has re-confirmed the trend that quarterbacks drafted high can play right away -- and win.

Bradford has also shown that if a team has a good quarterback, the odds of success greatly increase. The NFC West, whose champion will post a record no better than 8-8, provides the glaring example.

Arizona: Quarterback issues, out of the playoff picture. San Francisco: Quarterback issues, out of the playoff picture. Seattle: Quarterback issues, but not so disruptive that it's out of playoff contention. Still, because of injuries, backup Charlie Whitehurst is expected to start the Seahawks' most important game of the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d41692/article/bradfords-accelerated-success-has-raised-the-stakes-in-st-louis?module=HP_cp2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that playing in the NFC West probably has more to do with Bradford playing for a playoff shot. His stats are no better, if not worse than Fitz. I wonder how "wonder boy" would do if his Rams played the Pats, Jets and Fins instead of the Cards, Niners and Seahawks?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You do realize that playing in the NFC West probably has more to do with Bradford playing for a playoff shot. His stats are no better, if not worse than Fitz. I wonder how "wonder boy" would do if his Rams played the Pats, Jets and Fins instead of the Cards, Niners and Seahawks?

PTR

Wow. You'd make a great "whack a mole" player.

If Bradford played in the AFC East. his stats would be worse…but his performance would be just as impressive.

Wow. You'd make a great "whack a mole" player.

If Bradford played in the AFC East. his stats would be worse…but his performance would be just as impressive.

Exactly. Because his performance...or at least the perception of his performance....is colored by his draft position. He could take a dump at the 50 yard line and people would give him a standing O.

PTR

Trade what?

Next years #1 and #2? That's what it might take to get Carolina to give up that pick.

Ain't happening unless you give up A TON. It's probably not even an option if he declares. Carolina is giddy about Luck.

I don't think that gets it done with Luck being the number 1 pick.

PTR

Exactly. Because his performance...or at least the perception of his performance....is colored by his draft position. He could take a dump at the 50 yard line and people would give him a standing O.

PTR

If you put down the stat sheet you might be able to watch the games.

Beside, the article isnt as much about Bradford as it is about top tier QBs and that it takes one to consistantly compete in this league. Seeing as we dont have a top teir QB, it would benifit us to get one.

And I surmise your vision is colored by rose lenses.

PTR

I think differently than some people - unless more people share my view than I know. I believe if we traded our entire draft for the chance to land a player who would be one of the better QB's of the league for the next decade, then it would be a great deal for us - like the Ditka draft for Ricky Williams.

My reasoning is, you normally, in a good draft, land three starters and maybe two or three role players. But, we've had drafts where only three or four years later we see no one starting from them. So, if you had the chance to land what would be a star QB at the expense of one year's draft, then with F.A. and undrafted F.A.'s, you could still fill necessary upgrades while also getting the coveted QB.

So, with a team like Buffalo, which has been in dire need of a true Franchise QB - who, if capable, would immediately elevate us to respectability (although, we would still need to fix the defense) - had the chance to land a real good QB, then we should be willing to sacrifice anything to get him.

That presupposes our staff believes the QB is really destined for greatness. A great QB is worth going after no matter what. But, really, a great DE is, I'd say, even rarer. We have to weigh the real talent available. I wouldn't mind letting other teams go nuts over a few QB's while we grab the elite DE and OLB talent.

There are different forms of contenders - the Baltimore team of 2000? and the Saints of last year, for example. It is most important that our coaching staff knows what they are looking to assemble, what type of team they want. Once they know that, then getting the right pieces is much easier to justify.

If Luck declares we should do whatever it takes to get him. I would give First and second and next years first, he is that good. Considering how poorly we have drafted early we wouldn't miss a beat. Maybe we should trade our top 3 picks every year to stock up on 7th rnd draft picks and entice UDFA to come since we don't have any high picks. :D