pick 2-4 or 4-8

superbills315

I wasn't trying to claim that a Peyton Manning or a Bruce Smith could win a game by himself. That would obviously be absurd: Bruce Smith usually averaged less than one sack per game, and the greatest quarterback ever can't win games by himself if his receivers constantly drop passes or the OL fails to pass protect.

My point was that Bill Polian can do more with a top-5 pick (Bruce Smith, Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Kerry Collins) than with a pick lower in the first round. Which is true.

As for the Patriots: it's a myth that they always pick in the 20s every year. They find ways to get earlier picks without losing games. For example, one year the Patriots traded away their first round pick, straight-up, for San Francisco's first round pick in the next draft. The theory was that the 49ers' future first rounder would likely be early in the draft. Another year they had two picks later in the first round; both of which they traded away to get a top-10 pick. Another year they traded Bledsoe away for a first round pick from the Bills. (It turned out to be a pretty good first rounder at that.) They also traded away a defensive lineman to the Raiders for a first rounder, a WR to the Seahawks for a first rounder, and Matt Cassell to the Chiefs for a first or second rounder (I don't remember which). That is why they keep beating us. (Plus Belichick and Brady, of course.) Not to mention the fact that the Bills typically squander their first rounders on RBs and DBs who go first-contract-and-out; whereas the Patriots use their first rounders on bona fide good players.

WRONG!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

They do pick in the 20s and they tend to trade down not up. I wonder why that is?

Maybe because there is very little difference in quality from the #3 pick to the #20 pick.

The Patriots have actually traded the early picks they received from trades for more picks.

Allowing them to take 7 players in the second round in the last two years instead of a top 10 pick.

The difference between picking #3 or picking #8 picks has very little effect on the quality of the draft class.

Edited by Why So Serious?

WRONG!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

They do pick in the 20s and they tend to trade down not up. I wonder why that is?

Maybe because there is very little difference in quality from the #3 pick to the #20 pick.

The Patriots have actually traded the early picks they received from trades for more picks.

Allowing them to take 7 players in the second round in the last two years instead of a top 10 pick.

The difference between picking #3 or picking #8 picks has very little effect on the quality of the draft class.

Yep.

It's about who you pick, not where you pick.

We try our best to win this Sunday. The winning attitude starts now, this year. And we start Fitz to give us the best chance to win. The culture of winning starts now. Not mamby pambying around worrying about draft position in the first round.

Attitude is only as good as the impact players we have. Coach should get their attitudes adjusted, i want the best player available to me in the drfat if possible and deal with attitude next year to start the season.

I agree, but for the second reason. We need to find out about Brohm. If he can play...then, other than Luck, we should not draft a QB!

We need to know about Brohm? You mean the guy every was crucifying the FO over fro not bringing in someone better? Really?

Fitz has won this job. One Game he has looked awful, the rest we look like a decent NFL offense.

I simply dont understand why we want change when something has actually worked

Attitude is only as good as the impact players we have. Coach should get their attitudes adjusted, i want the best player available to me in the drfat if possible and deal with attitude next year to start the season.

Selecting real high in the draft does not necessarily equate to big impact on the field nor great attitude. Ryan Leaf was considered to be both going into his draft. On the other hand, Darryl Talley was selected now where near the position Leaf was in the draft year Talley was selected.

The point of my post was not going into our final game this Sunday trying to lose so we could secure a little higher position in the draft. That's a loser attitude. Work hard to win the ball game and don't worry about draft position. There will be good players avialable for us whether we select at #4, or #14. There's plenty of holes for us to fill. That's for sure.

HOW MANY STUPID THREADS ON THIS TOPIC DO WE NEED??!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

(this is a recording...)it doesn't matter where you pick if you have competent people conducting the draft. it also doesn't matter where you pick if you have incompetents making your picks.

Unless there's a Michael Vick or a Suh type available. Buffalo should do well if they're in the top three. I don't trust them to nail it after that.

HOW MANY STUPID THREADS ON THIS TOPIC DO WE NEED??!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

(this is a recording...)it doesn't matter where you pick if you have competent people conducting the draft. it also doesn't matter where you pick if you have incompetents making your picks.

nix took spiller at 9 when we did not need arunning back. what else do you need to know. and you guys are worried aboiut drafting 3rd instead of 6th??

THIS IS A LEAD PIPE CINCH: WHEREVER the bills raft next year, there will be a player drafted 3-6 slots later, at a POSITION OF GREAT NEED FOR THE BILLS, who is going to be a flat-out monster. he will make the guy we draft look like a wasted pick. how many years in a row does this have to happen before we all accept it as a foregone conclusion.

the current axis of incomnpetence (wilson, nix, modrak) could have the 1st 7 picks over all and still !@#$ it up.

Exactly! If you think a better draft position will somehow help the Bills draft better players, then you're mistaken. This team has had plenty of opportunities in the past and they've always come through with some hair brained pick that someone at OBD will explain "we really like this player", and are not concerned about position of need or other people's draft grades.

Anyone up for another WR or CB?

It doesn't matter; a lot of it is luck anyway.

The pick number, need, the player, etc. all have to line up perfectly.

I think that luck always comes into play, but our coaches' job is to reduce the luck factor as best they are able.

That being said, You nailed it with the second sentence.

By the way this last game will probably leave the strongest impression on coaches about their players.

It is very important that the players and coaches give it their all against the nasty ole jets.

Draft be damned!

There. I said it.

ps. start brohm. and give the ball to Jackson for the 1k.

if we lose we pick between 2-4 if we win we pick 4-8 i would love to beat the jets but it only hurts us, also i think we should start brian brohm to take another good look at him and some of the other young talent on the team this game is going to be like a preseason game the jets will pull there starters by halftime, this is just my opinion what dose everyone else think we should do?

Based on the number of recent injuries, I'm starting to think it's going to be loss #12 for the Bills this week.