blackout sunday?

Hail Flutie

I love that map! Is there anywhere else that tells you who the announcers are of other games (not NFL)......In this information age, I need to know everything, and it annoys me when I turn a game on and have no idea who is announcing.

The announcers are listed on that very page (below the map). The Bills get (drumroll........):

Kevin Harlan and Solomon Wilcots

This is unfortunately not true. Syracuse stations do get blacked out as well. You have to be almost as far east as Albany, as far north as Watertown, or as far south as Binghampton to avoid the stupid black out.

Really? I really have forgotten so much stuff I used to know. I thought Syracuse was well outside of the blackout area. Well,at least Watertown stations will get the game. They are, without question, "Upstate".

As has been mentioned, this week it looks like Albany and Binghamton are getting the Bears/Jests game.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The announcers are listed on that very page (below the map). The Bills get (drumroll........):

Really? I really have forgotten so much stuff I used to know. I thought Syracuse was well outside of the blackout area. Well,at least Watertown stations will get the game. They are, without question, "Upstate".

I think, but am not sure, that somehow the NFL got the ability to say that any station which had a signal that could possibly, under teh right meterological conditions, touch a house that was 88.9 miles away from the furthest reach of the home town station, was then considered a secondary market and thus has to black out the games as well. And as Bill Wirtz so successfully showed in Chicago for all those years, blacking out home games really does build in house attendence and loyalty of the fan base. :doh:

As has been mentioned, this week it looks like Albany and Binghamton are getting the Bears/Jests game.

Syracuse used to be outside the blackout area and should be based on it's distance from the stadium, but a few years back the NFL discovered that people in Rochester could get a faint signal with a huge antenna on a clear day, so they extended the blackout zone to Syracuse to stop those renegade Rochesterians.

I always thought CNY was well out of the black out area too, but then I moved out here about 6 years ago and learned the hard way that they are also blacked out.

From what I understand sometime in the mid 90s the FCC determined that the Syracuse CBS affiliate can reach a tiny sliver of East Rochester that is within the blacked out zone. So by rule they can't broadcast it either. Then because so many other places around Syracuse use their CBS they end up getting boned too so places like Rome and Utica also are blacked out.

Seems kind of silly that 200 miles away can still be blacked out but I'm not holding my breath waiting for anyone to reexamine these archaic NFL rules.

If you go look at the 10/10 game, Jacksonville, on that map link people referred to above you get a good look at where the lines are for who sees it and who can't.

Edited by Metal Man

Thanks for that Syracuse "update". It all sounds vaguely familiar now.

Anyone else think the OP might be a troll? Second post. Throws in "Upstate New York". Doesn't return to the thread.

I'm not saying he IS a troll. Perhaps he will return this evening. But it is a bit suspicious.

It's a bus trip to the Ralph leaving at 5:15 AM for me.

The final game of the season is guaranteed to be on in Albany. I'm having a group that will include some Jets fans come over for that one.

My daughter and her husband are using our tickets Sunday. Thanks for the offer. Not sure what we are doing. Thought of going to Clifton park to Raven woods? Our friends that we have in Scotia Most time get together.

I will let you Know later next week.

Really? I really have forgotten so much stuff I used to know. I thought Syracuse was well outside of the blackout area.

Yeah, I saw that and that is part of why I love the map........I was wondering if there is somewhere that shows who is announcing other sports, as well - I'll use this page for the NFL.

I also now vaguely remember this Syracuse change. I was still thinking it was the way it was back in 93, when they got the Oilers comeback game and Buffalo did not.

Which totally blows, too. I'm actually very OK with the blackout rule. To the people in Buffalo who complain I say - tickets are still available - join us at the game and you can see it!........But, asking people to travel from Syracuse and further east is ridiculous!

I apologize. I'll be in wayne county between rochester and syracuse. I understand, I'm from "the jersey shore." you can imagine how frustrating that is.

Well, I guess it depends where in "Upstate New York" you will be. The term "Upstate New York" doesn't have much utility for things like this as that term is used for about 90% or more of the total area of the state. I'm not trying to be a wise ass here, it's just a very vague term.

As you can see from this map, the game will be seen in much of the state.

Even if the game is blacked out in Buffalo and the rest of Western New York (that will be decided tomorrow, I believe), you might be able to see it, depending where in "Upstate New York" you will be.

EDIT: It looks like you will see the game if you are in an area that gets Syracuse stations, even if it is blacked out in Buffalo.

I apologize. I'll be in wayne county between rochester and syracuse. I understand, I'm from "the jersey shore." you can imagine how frustrating that is.

Unless the game is a sellout, you may be SOL.

To the Internet!

Which totally blows, too. I'm actually very OK with the blackout rule. To the people in Buffalo who complain I say - tickets are still available - join us at the game and you can see it!........But, asking people to travel from Syracuse and further east is ridiculous!

If tickets were reasonably priced I would agree with you. But to bring my family of 5 to a game is going to cost me over $300 when it is said and done (have to get that many together from ticketmaster). I know the Bills are one of the lowest in the NFL, but there are a lot of families that can't afford a big price tag to watch a sporting event for one afternoon. It's a shame the NFL insists on !@#$ing them further.

If tickets were reasonably priced I would agree with you. But to bring my family of 5 to a game is going to cost me over $300 when it is said and done (have to get that many together from ticketmaster). I know the Bills are one of the lowest in the NFL, but there are a lot of families that can't afford a big price tag to watch a sporting event for one afternoon. It's a shame the NFL insists on !@#$ing them further.

Being single, I guess I don't think enough about that......What made me take this stance was during the years we were good, and sometimes just missed selling out. Prices were a lot lower then, but you would drive to the game and you knew what bars were illegally getting the game off satellite, because the parking lots would be full. Then, you would hear about all the people who would drive to Canada to watch the games in bars there, etc.

I was like WTF - you are probably spending more money doing all this stuff when you can just buy a ticket and go to the game!! And, being there is so much better, IMO.

Being single, I guess I don't think enough about that......What made me take this stance was during the years we were good, and sometimes just missed selling out. Prices were a lot lower then, but you would drive to the game and you knew what bars were illegally getting the game off satellite, because the parking lots would be full. Then, you would hear about all the people who would drive to Canada to watch the games in bars there, etc.

I was like WTF - you are probably spending more money doing all this stuff when you can just buy a ticket and go to the game!! And, being there is so much better, IMO.

The Bills just posted on Facebook that the game is sold out thanks to a last minute ticket purchase by Russell Salvatore.

Even Sunday when you can get a ticket for say $25 and park "off campus" for $10 and drink 2 beers for say $15. That's $50. That same $50 buys you considerably more than 2 beers and some wings to go with them at a bar showing the game. The stadium experience is always fun. But there are some (yeah, me :) ) that prefer to sit in a warm bar or on my couch drinking my beer than freezing my ass off on aluminum benches for December games.

The NFL has the right to make money of course. And if they feel the blackout rule sells more tickets (not sure I agree but it is their call) then so be it. But while some don't go because they would rather watch on TV, there are some that simply cannot afford it. Seems a shame to dick them over in the name of putting more money in the pockets of millionaires.

Just my opinion though.

Game sold out via purchase from Russell J. Salvatore of Russell’s Steaks, Chops & More in Williamsville, NY!

God bless you Russell J. Salvatore! I don't eat in the Buffalo area much, but I will be keeping your place in mind when I do!

Edited by CodeMonkey

Even Sunday when you can get a ticket for say $25 and park "off campus" for $10 and drink 2 beers for say $15. That's $50. That same $50 buys you considerably more than 2 beers and some wings to go with them at a bar showing the game. The stadium experience is always fun. But there are some (yeah, me :) ) that prefer to sit in a warm bar or on my couch drinking my beer than freezing my ass off on aluminum benches for December games.

The NFL has the right to make money of course. And if they feel the blackout rule sells more tickets (not sure I agree but it is their call) then so be it. But while some don't go because they would rather watch on TV, there are some that simply cannot afford it. Seems a shame to dick them over in the name of putting more money in the pockets of millionaires.

Just my opinion though.

So, the truth is coming out! I have sympathy for any money issues, but not really for the warm bar argument! :devil: I am quite sure many of these people spent more money going to Canada, and all this other crap than if they just bought a ticket.

It used to be that all home games were blacked out, which was wrong. If you couldn't buy a ticket because it's sold out, they shouldn't also not let you watch on TV. So, Congress stepped in and made it fair. If there are tickets available, buy them and you can see the game. If not, then we'll show it on TV. (Of course, this was before the Internet and stubhub, etc. - so back then if you didn't have a ticket to a sold out game, there really was no way of seeing it).

Seems to me that it's not some inalienable right to be able to watch a football game. If there is a movie or a fight on HBO, and I don't want to or can't pay for HBO, do I have an an argument that I have the right to watch it on Channel 4? Why should NFL owners be forced to give their product out for free?