Draft To beat NE

bisonbrigade

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If The Bills are to ever make the playoffs it will have to be threw NE. Drafting a QB like Luck or Mallet in the first round is not the Answer. The answer is to have a Denfense that is able to presure Brady without blitzing. The front 7 has to be able to get to Brady wittout blitzing. Brady can read a blitz and burn it with a short pass. The Bills need to load up on pass rushers, as many as possible. Draft DE and OLB, not QB. Fitzpatrick is our QB. Besides Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Rothslickbugguer name a QB in the AFC better than Fitzpatrick.

I'm with you. We need a host of Bruce Smith's and Phil Hansen's to press the attack against Brady and his offense. We have hardly any pass rush, nor can we stop the run. A defense should be the first priority, then a QB. Stop the SOB's, then add an offense. Hopefully, we get a new DC as well. Edwards sucks.

Why is it the Pats always beat the Bills?

Tom Brady

If we ever want to have the type of success the Pats ahve had this decade we need a QB like theirs, so yea, I'd say the need for a QB trumps all other things.

[/quote

NOT !!!!!! If i remember correctly wasn't it last season in the opening game on MNF that we were ONE play away from beating the Pats ?? If Leodis would have taken a knee game over !!! And wasn't that with Edwards at QB ???

Because of a player trying to be superman not because we had a QB in the same category as Brady , not because we had a great front 7 on defense , but simply because of a bad decision by a player and a coach with out the balls to say he was wrong for bringing it out that's why we lost that game -- pure & simple !!!!

So with out reservation sir i totally disagree with your out look of beating the Pats or any other team for that matter . Look at the game against Pittsburgh ONE PLAY . Fitz is a play maker & a leader !! I don't know what it's going to take short of a super bowl to show that the guy is a winning QB !!

He's i believe is in the top ten QB's in the league & will show all of us he's worth keeping around !!!!

GO FITZ !!! GO BILLS !!!!!!! :nana:

Edited by T master

Hit Brady hard and often, and he will pack it in. He is afraid of hard pass rushers, and as soon as he sees the rush, he hurries his throws. The Pats were wise enough to buy him the best protection they could find, and then went to a short passing game to limit the rush,(got rid of Moss, bought Dion Branch and added 2 TE's). Hard pass rush versus a short passing game evens the odds. One big hit on Brady would be all it takes.

Tom Brady

If we ever want to have the type of success the Pats ahve had this decade we need a QB like theirs, so yea, I'd say the need for a QB trumps all other things.

Sort of true 0:)

Buffalo (11/9): Started at quarterback in the Patriots' 20-10 victory over the Bills ... Scored his second career rushing touchdown with a 13-yard run in the first quarter to give the Patriots an early 7-0 lead ... Completed 23 of 34 pass attempts for 234 yards while making nine carries for 22 yards and one touchdown ... In third-down situations in the second half, completed 5 of 5 passes attempted for 74 yards with each completion resulting in a Patriots' first down.

Does the above sound like a typical efficient Brady game against us? It wasn't.

It was Matt Cassel's victory over the Bills - yeah, that seventh rounder that they plugged into the Patriots system who then tore up the league - from his BIO:

Became the fifth player in NFL history to have back-to-back 400-yard passing games with a 415-yard performance against the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 23 after a 400-yard performance against the New York Jets on Nov. 13 ... Made his first career start at the New York Jets on Sept. 14 ... Posted a career-high passer rating of 136.3 while throwing for a career-best three touchdown passes in the Patriots' 41-7 victory over the Broncos on Oct. 20 ... His 136.3 passer rating against the Broncos ranks as the 10th best mark by a Patriots quarterback since the 1970

Now I ask you does he even look close to being the same QB in KC?

Not saying that Brady is not a good even great QB, but when a team like the Patriots can prove that they can continue to plug in new player personnel, jettison coordinators, change GMs and not mis a beat even the most stubborn amonst us must admit that they have a system enforced by a head coach grown from a test tube in some secret military lab. Just kidding there, but I get sick of my team getting consistently kicked in the Jimmy by that team each year. And it is almost humorous the way teams that don't play them often (Chicago)think that the AFC East must just be a cake-walk for NE to have the success it has. Then they go into soldier's field and administer a real spanking on them.

Does Brady have the same success if he played for Denver, or Chicago, or anywhere else?

Food for thought.

Sort of true 0:)

Now I ask you does he even look close to being the same QB in KC?

Not saying that Brady is not a good even great QB, but when a team like the Patriots can prove that they can continue to plug in new player personnel, jettison coordinators, change GMs and not mis a beat even the most stubborn amonst us must admit that they have a system enforced by a head coach grown from a test tube in some secret military lab. Just kidding there, but I get sick of my team getting consistently kicked in the Jimmy by that team each year. And it is almost humorous the way teams that don't play them often (Chicago)think that the AFC East must just be a cake-walk for NE to have the success it has. Then they go into soldier's field and administer a real spanking on them.

Does Brady have the same success if he played for Denver, or Chicago, or anywhere else?

Food for thought.

Ah, yes he does--better, actually. Why don't you look it up first?

Anyway, the constant has been Brady and Bellichick. Brady is tearing apart the best defenses week after week using two rookie TEs, a mediocre RB and two tiny white WRs. If you see them play and conclude that this is simply the result of some offensive "scheme" that defensive madtermind Bellichick has devised, got to it. Exactly what is the scheme and why can't others simply reproduce it?

I'm with you. We need a host of Bruce Smith's and Phil Hansen's to press the attack against Brady and his offense. We have hardly any pass rush, nor can we stop the run. A defense should be the first priority, then a QB. Stop the SOB's, then add an offense. Hopefully, we get a new DC as well. Edwards sucks.

If this is true, then why is it that the Patriots averaged almost 40 points against the Steelers, Jets and Bears defenses? 3 of the top defenses in the league this year. Steelers pressure the QB more and better than any team out there. Doesnt really work does it?

If this is true, then why is it that the Patriots averaged almost 40 points against the Steelers, Jets and Bears defenses? 3 of the top defenses in the league this year. Steelers pressure the QB more and better than any team out there. Doesnt really work does it?

All the more reason for a stultifying clock killing running game. Brady can't complete any passes while on the bench. Yeah, its boring...but it is the only way to beat Brady.

When Brady is on the field the only way to even slow him down is a killer pass rush. We need todraft to get a killer pass rush.

Anyway, the constant has been Brady and Bellichick. Brady is tearing apart the best defenses week after week using two rookie TEs, a mediocre RB and two tiny white WRs. If you see them play and conclude that this is simply the result of some offensive "scheme" that defensive madtermind Bellichick has devised, got to it. Exactly what is the scheme and why can't others simply reproduce it?

Wrong.

Brady would not have nearly the same success elsewhere, but you are welcome to your opinion.

Last time I looked, Tom Brady only played on the offense. So why anyone would think getting a "stud" QB is the way to defeat him escapes me. The most obvious way of defeating him is to have a "stud" defense combined with a steady offense that can score 20-30 points, which the Bills with Fitz appear to be heading towards. And the way to do that is to have good to very good players at all positions on defense with at least two game-changer "beasts" (Polamalu/Harrison; Lewis/Reed).

Last time I looked, Tom Brady only played on the offense. So why anyone would think getting a "stud" QB is the way to defeat him escapes me. The most obvious way of defeating him is to have a "stud" defense combined with a steady offense that can score 20-30 points, which the Bills with Fitz appear to be heading towards. And the way to do that is to have good to very good players at all positions on defense with at least two game-changer "beasts" (Polamalu/Harrison; Lewis/Reed).

Read my last post. Patriots are putting up an average of 40 points against 3 of the elite defenses in the league. And the Patriots defense has allowed an average of ONLY 17 pts the last 2 or 3 games i think.

All the more reason for a stultifying clock killing running game. Brady can't complete any passes while on the bench. Yeah, its boring...but it is the only way to beat Brady.

When Brady is on the field the only way to even slow him down is a killer pass rush. We need todraft to get a killer pass rush.

I would consider James Harrison and Julius Peppers some of the elite pass rushers in the game. What good did that do?

Yes, you need pass rushers, and yes you need defense, but you need to put up points against the Pats as well. You can't just sit there and hope that your defense stops them and just run the ball. You gotta ATTACK that team.

Clock killing running game? You don't think teams have tried doing that? You need a great offense AND defense to take on this team.

If you want to have a lot of running plays over the course of the game, you need a good passing attack.

Sure, you'd love it if every time you handed the ball to your RB, it was 5 yards here, 6 yards there. There will be times when it's just like that. But there will be other times when your RB is stuffed for no gain, or maybe gets a yard or two. If you're trying to score with just your running game, you're going to need long, many-play drives. Even if a drive gets off to a good start with a few good runs and a few first downs, you have to think about how you're going to sustain that drive once the defense makes a few tackles closer to the line of scrimmage. Once you start seeing 3rd-and-6 or 3rd-and-7 situations--which you will see sooner or later--the question becomes, can your passing attack bail out your running game? Can your QB and his receivers keep your offense on the field for another set of downs so that you can keep running the ball?

A good example of the above is the NY Giants offense that the Bills faced in their first Super Bowl. The Giants had a good running game, which they relied on fairly heavily. But the reason that running game was on the field as much as it was had a lot to do with Jeff Hostetler throwing passes to guys like Mark Bavaro. That passing attack did an excellent job of turning third downs into first downs. :angry:

Tom Brady

They beat us twice with Matt Cassel, remember? However, I do agree with you that Tom Brady is the biggest factor in their complete domination over the bills the past 10 years or so. Wouldn't you like to see the bills draft a standout defensive end or OLB to invoke a little fear in Brady? I personally would love to see Tom Brady get creamed by someone in a bills uniform

I took your advice and I was suprised to see how well Cassel is doing - QB Rating-wise this year, that being said I was never a big fan of the QB rating system it made Trentative look like the second coming of Kelly...

Although Cassel has had some monster games against San Fran and Seattle in wins, and he put up good numbers in losses that were scoring races with Houston and Denver he also had these games:

Win against SD with 68 yds and 1 TD

Win against the Browns with 2 ints and 0 TDs

Loss against Indy 156 yds and 0 TDs

Win against Buffalo 1 TD and 152 yds OT at home compared to Fitz 1 TD and 223 yards.

Win against Denver 0 TDs.

One could make the argument that his performance is at times erratic, and if your argument is that Cassel is an elite QB then Fitz can't be too far off. How many people believe that KC is SB bound with him behind center?

KC is better with Scott Pioli at GM, and they will get better. Pioli came out of NE and is a good talent evaluator.

Belichik is a better coach than most in the NFL and nearly always has his team better prepared than their opponent. Stats: NE is near the bottom in defensive categories, and is 8th overall in offensive categories, but they make about every team look unprepared when they play them and they win - period.

What I think the key is to stopping\slowing NE, don't give Brady good lanes to throw in, jam their receivers every play to disrupt their timing, double-team Welker a lot and definately on 3rd downs. Lastly, be ready to have a different plan for the second half of the game when they start hitting their TE.

and yes, I hate them.

I took your advice and I was suprised to see how well Cassel is doing - QB Rating-wise this year, that being said I was never a big fan of the QB rating system it made Trentative look like the second coming of Kelly...

Although Cassel has had some monster games against San Fran and Seattle in wins, and he put up good numbers in losses that were scoring races with Houston and Denver he also had these games:

Win against SD with 68 yds and 1 TD

Win against the Browns with 2 ints and 0 TDs

Loss against Indy 156 yds and 0 TDs

Win against Buffalo 1 TD and 152 yds OT at home compared to Fitz 1 TD and 223 yards.

Win against Denver 0 TDs.

One could make the argument that his performance is at times erratic, and if your argument is that Cassel is an elite QB then Fitz can't be too far off. How many people believe that KC is SB bound with him behind center?

KC is better with Scott Pioli at GM, and they will get better. Pioli came out of NE and is a good talent evaluator.

Belichik is a better coach than most in the NFL and nearly always has his team better prepared than their opponent. Stats: NE is near the bottom in defensive categories, and is 8th overall in offensive categories, but they make about every team look unprepared when they play them and they win - period.

What I think the key is to stopping\slowing NE, don't give Brady good lanes to throw in, jam their receivers every play to disrupt their timing, double-team Welker a lot and definately on 3rd downs. Lastly, be ready to have a different plan for the second half of the game when they start hitting their TE.

and yes, I hate them.

No, my argument is not that Cassel is an elite QB. Also, no one thinks he is leading KC to the SB (any other straw men you wish to create)?

It is that he is doing as well as, or better than he did in NE--on an inferior team. In 4 fewer games, he has thrown for more TDs than his entire season in NE, should throw for over 3000 yards for the first time and only has 4 ints.

Yeah, the guy has started 3 seasons as a QB...since high school. He may be a little erratic at times, I guess.

Anyway, as with others, you are suggesting we simply jam their receivers and double Welker. That's a recipe for disaster--Brady has 6 recievers over 325 yards so far this year.

THE PATRIOTS BEAT THE JETS AND STEELERS BECAUSE THEY PRESSURE QB'S BY BLITZING. THE PAT'S SPREAD TEAMS OUT SO BRADY CAN READ WHERE THE BLITZ IS COMING. IF YOUR DEFENSIVE LINE CAN PRESSURE WITH THE FRONT FOUR THAT GAMEPLAN WILL NOT WORK. YOU HAVE TWO HAVE AT LEAST ONE OR TWO DOMINANT DEFENSIVE LINEMAN.

No, my argument is not that Cassel is an elite QB. Also, no one thinks he is leading KC to the SB (any other straw men you wish to create)?

It is that he is doing as well as, or better than he did in NE--on an inferior team. In 4 fewer games, he has thrown for more TDs than his entire season in NE, should throw for over 3000 yards for the first time and only has 4 ints.

Yeah, the guy has started 3 seasons as a QB...since high school. He may be a little erratic at times, I guess.

Anyway, as with others, you are suggesting we simply jam their receivers and double Welker. That's a recipe for disaster--Brady has 6 recievers over 325 yards so far this year.

I have to say I do enjoy this discussion, but I think we have almost come full circle to where we can almost agree on something.

I was actually trying for sarcastic on the plan for stopping the Pats O. The "plan" I mentioned is what most teams try and fail using, with a blitz thrown in here and there, and I did mention that if you executed the plan you would leave their TE open or singled up on a LB. It is a good plan, but most teams do not possess the secondary that can match up against the variety of 300+ yd receivers Brady spreads the ball to.

My comment on Welker is that all QBs have a comfort zone - Brady's is Welker. Welker leads their team in receptions with 80, has close to 800 yds on the season, and averages close to 10 yds a catch. You want to make Brady uncomfortable, or want to take him out of his current rhythm, you could start by taking Welker out of the game (easier said than done). No guaranty for success against NE as a whole, but at least it is a start. They are certainly more beatable without him and looked like a different team when he was injured.

Chicago tried to use their bread and butter zone coverage. Zone? That had to be like going back to kindergarden for Brady. Too easy for him to carve that up.

You are absolutely correct, NE runs a spread offense to perfection. It involves a lot of short timing routes and run after the catch. With our current D, I expect they will spread things out and find more success running the ball than they have shown against other teams. Maybe Jauron knew that to have a chance at stopping NE in this division you to have a very talented secondary so you could match up man to man on them. Perhaps that is why he always went after DBs in the draft.

The way they beat the Pats was through sound defense. That is where we need to build if we want to beat anyone next season and beyond.

Agreed. The Giants offense didn't beat the Pats in the Superbowl, the Giants defense did.

If The Bills are to ever make the playoffs it will have to be threw NE. Drafting a QB like Luck or Mallet in the first round is not the Answer. The answer is to have a Denfense that is able to presure Brady without blitzing. The front 7 has to be able to get to Brady wittout blitzing. Brady can read a blitz and burn it with a short pass. The Bills need to load up on pass rushers, as many as possible. Draft DE and OLB, not QB. Fitzpatrick is our QB. Besides Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Rothslickbugguer name a QB in the AFC better than Fitzpatrick.

I've thought along these lines for years. Living in NorCal, I witnessed the Niners/Cowboys rivalry of the 80's and early 90's. Each offseason, they would make moves to counter the other team's strengths. Alvin Harper torching the Niners CBs, they draft one, Eric Davis, in the next draft. Cowboys O-line struggling to stop Charley Haley, they sign him away as free agent.

Even though the switch to 4 team divisions lessened the importance of divisional games slightly, you still want to beat the team(s) that you're competing with for the division title.