Draft To beat NE

bisonbrigade

If The Bills are to ever make the playoffs it will have to be threw NE. Drafting a QB like Luck or Mallet in the first round is not the Answer. The answer is to have a Denfense that is able to presure Brady without blitzing. The front 7 has to be able to get to Brady wittout blitzing. Brady can read a blitz and burn it with a short pass. The Bills need to load up on pass rushers, as many as possible. Draft DE and OLB, not QB. Fitzpatrick is our QB. Besides Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Rothslickbugguer name a QB in the AFC better than Fitzpatrick.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If The Bills are to ever make the playoffs it will have to be threw NE. Drafting a QB like Luck or Mallet in the first round is not the Answer. The answer is to have a Denfense that is able to presure Brady without blitzing. The front 7 has to be able to get to Brady wittout blitzing. Brady can read a blitz and burn it with a short pass. The Bills need to load up on pass rushers, as many as possible. Draft DE and OLB, not QB. Fitzpatrick is our QB. Besides Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Rothslickbugguer name a QB in the AFC better than Fitzpatrick.

If we are ever going to beat NE we need a QB who can make quick, correct defensive reads. Good luck with a rookie QB. Bellicheat would have him for lunch. On the other side we need the best pass rushers we can find. People hung up on drafting a QB should go back to playing Madden.

PTR

Why is it the Pats always beat the Bills?

Tom Brady

If we ever want to have the type of success the Pats ahve had this decade we need a QB like theirs, so yea, I'd say the need for a QB trumps all other things.

Edited by Thoner7

Tom Brady

If we ever want to have the type of success the Pats ahve had this decade we need a QB like theirs, so yea, I'd say the need for a QB trumps all other things.

An excellent point. If the Patriots are lining up Tom Brady at quarterback, and the Bills are lining up Losman or Bledsoe or Trent Edwards, the Patriots are already well on their way to victory. I'll grant Fitzpatrick is a better QB than any of those other QBs (except for Bledsoe's first eight games here), but he isn't Tom Brady.

one way to beat the Pats would be to not let brady on the field. We would have to do what the steelers did to us in the first half of the game to the patriots. We would also need to create turnovers and a stud defensive pass rusher would do the trick. He only needs to have one good play to do this and make tom Brady force the ball. Also with is smaller receivers maybe we can get a fumble.

We could also get a QB who can out gun brady.

Tom Brady

So we draft a QB and loose 38 to 30 instead of 38 to 17. We have a QB that can put points on the board. Have you watched any Bills games this year? The Giants beat NE in the Superbowl by pressuring Tom Brady, not by matching him point for point.

Edited by bisonbrigade

Tom Brady

If you have a sharp sword it might be true I can defeat you with a sharp sword of my own. Another way might be to get a better shield and use the trusty sword that seems like it can get the job done given the chance.

I posted an opinion the other day and most people tore into me for it. Basically, I think if you have a chance to draft what seems to be a one-in-a-generation QB, like a Manning or Brady, then you do whatever you can to get him, because that kind of QB can raise the level of your team and make you a contender year in and out.

However, if you can't get someone like that, then why bother with questionable guys when we already have a suitable Qb in Fitz? I say, in that case, draft front seven all the way. I mean, if our offense is doing this as is, why not spend all of next offseason and every draft pick, even trading up a couple of times if need be, and walk away from the draft with a superstar DE and OLB, another good ILB, and a few more potential LB's and D-linemen. Then, look at the roster, and whatever we are lacking, try to pick it up with a F.A. Look, we have K.Williams who is a beast. We have Carrington who looks to be pretty good, and Moats who is showing signs of having "it", we have Poz, and D. Edwards and Troupe are decent. Maybe Batten and Coleman will look decent next year, too. You add a beast DE who the opposition has to double team, and then suddenly K.Williams is eating people up. Throw in a couple nice rushing LB's and you have a headache. Then our secondary will shine again.

I don't see why we don't be aggressive and do things like that. Trade up, if need be, and walk away from the draft with four play making defensive guys. You add that many to our young roster, and you've got a squad that will go places. Then, fix the offense the next year. Throw everything at it, and in two years you have a monster team.

Oh well, leave it up the the pros, and have faith they'll get it done. At least I like how many people they've been bringing in to look at. They might find an overlooked gem or two.

So we draft a QB and loose 38 to 30 instead of 38 to 17. We have a QB that can put points on the board. Have you watched any Bills games this year? The Giants beat NE in the Superbowl by pressuring Tom Brady, not by matching him point for point.

Agree 100%!!! I stated this in another post! That's exactly what the steelers did! They got to him, hit and rattled him! He ripped into his oline and everything changed!

But prior to that, the steelers were in his a**! And that's exactly how you beat the pats!

Tom Brady

I'd be happy if they go looking for a QB around Round 6!

Best way to stop the Pats on offense is to throw off the timing of Brady and his receivers. You start by employing excellent cover corners who can stay with the quick receivers the Pats have in m2m. Zone won't work as Brady is too smart and will pick it apart. Next, you also have to be able to get pressure on Brady with just the DL. If you have to consistently bring in an extra defender from the backside then Brady is too smart and he'll make you pay. Always a step ahead of others, to counter these two actions, BB went out and drafted two, excellent TE's, Gronkowski and Hernandez, to allow matchup advantages for the Pats should opposing defenses actually find a way to implement the above two gameplans. These guys make matching up with the Pats damn near inpossible because having these guys allow a QB as smart as Brady to do the dictating on the field. With these TE's the Pats truly have the queen on the chessboard that causes the ultimate havoc. I think it'll be easier to try and outscore the Pats honestly. But, even that may become an exercise in futility as the Pats have injected a ton of high caliber talent to that defense, and are poised to possibly add a ton more thanks to having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, including 3 of the first 33 picks. Give a fertile defensive mind like Belichick all of this talent and watch out!

Edited by Pneumonic

An excellent point. If the Patriots are lining up Tom Brady at quarterback, and the Bills are lining up Losman or Bledsoe or Trent Edwards, the Patriots are already well on their way to victory. I'll grant Fitzpatrick is a better QB than any of those other QBs (except for Bledsoe's first eight games here), but he isn't Tom Brady.

Then who is Tom Brady? Is Andrew Luck the next Tom Brady? Or is Mallett the one? Brady has been beaten by teams this year who were led by Mark Sanchez and Colt McCoy and those guys are hardly Tom Brady (quite frankly, despite the Jets' success this season, I believe Fitzpatrick is better than both right now.) The way they beat the Pats was through sound defense. That is where we need to build if we want to beat anyone next season and beyond.

Edited by Talley56

Tom Brady owns a 16-1 record against Buffalo. What does that mean? The Bills do not have a clue to how to beat NE. Simple as that. Every three years there is a new Bills staff who can't figure it out either.

Then who is Tom Brady? Is Andrew Luck the next Tom Brady? Or is Mallett the one? Brady has been beaten by teams this year who were led by Mark Sanchez and Colt McCoy and those guys are hardly Tom Brady (quite frankly, despite the Jets' success this season, I believe Fitzpatrick is better than both right now.) The way they beat the Pats was through sound defense. That is where we need to build if we want to beat anyone next season and beyond.

I love what I've seen of Luck's play myself, and the experts seem to agree with me. I've heard him described as being somewhere between Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning.

I realize Luck won't be there when the Bills pick. Unless, of course, we trade up. Currently, the Bills have a good, young QB in the form of Fitz. A QB like that is worth a lot in the trade. If we were to knock on the Panthers' door, and were to offer them the 5th overall pick, + Fitz, + something else of major value in return for the first overall pick, they might well agree. Hopefully, they would conclude that it would be better to get two or three of their needs taken care of than just one need.

Obviously, a rookie Luck or a non-rookie Brohm will play less well than Fitz has been playing. That trade would mean a few less wins in 2011 than we otherwise would have had. But if Luck lives up to his billing, the long-term value of adding him would be almost impossible to overstate. Getting a true franchise QB is both the most difficult, and single most useful, thing you can do to improve your football team. Opportunities to get an Andrew Luck are very rare. It's not just that he's good, he's known to be good. He's a low risk/high reward pick for essentially the same reasons Peyton Manning was low risk/high reward.

The problem with waiting a year to find the franchise QB is that the Bills' position in the 2012 draft will be significantly worse than their position in 2011. If there won't be any Andrew Lucks falling to the Bills at 5th overall (or wherever we end up), there certainly won't be any falling to picks 15 - 25 (which is where I envision the Bills picking in 2012). Granted, there will still be the occasional QB chosen outside the top-10 of the draft who turns into a franchise QB. But guys like that are rare; and they need to significantly exceed the expectations associated with their draft positions. This is the organization that awarded the starting position to Edwards rather than Fitzpatrick. How likely are we, really, to find the next Drew Brees story or Tom Brady story?

If you don't have a franchise QB, and if there's a chance of getting one, you pay the price you have to pay to get him. Then you build around that franchise QB, and turn the Bills into a serious threat to do something dangerous in the playoffs! :thumbsup:

We absolutely should get Luck if is there when we pick. Trading up is not a good answer, Trading our 1st and Fitz is really not what we should do!

If Luck isn't great in the pros it sets you way back especially if you trade Fitz. NEXT year will be 18 games if we have football. We do need a good back up whoever the starter is and it is better to develop someone on the bench as much as you can afford to. I say this realizing that Luck is the "most NFL ready". but you can not bet on a draft choice, just look around the league at who is successful. It is much better to have someone sit learn listen and then play. Developing a team takes time.

The problem is and is not beating Brady. Brady is the problem because he is damn good but he is stoppable. The Giants offence won the Superbowl by having a BETTER D than the Pats* that day. Eli is not better than Tom and I doubt he is actually better than Fitz. His receivers were absolutely not better than Moss. The front 7 was better than the pats* Oline, they were able to put pressure on him and that year the Pats didn't have a good run game. Tommy can't throw from on his butt better than anyone else can.

The answer is building a Defense that can stop a Belicheat offence. It is not all TB. This year it is the 2 TE set that they are using in combo with the run game. The Cheater is a great football mind, his FO is only slightly suspect but history shows they too are good. I hope Chan is as crafty and Buddy is better. We were close in the first game this year. We could win this game (at home) our D has shown some improvement. I want some D in the draft early and in FA, with the explosiveness we have already shown on offense a few players and some depth and that side of the ball is ok to go.

I like what the guys running the team are doing right now, the season long preseason is a decent plan, added to a strong draft and hopefully some activity in FA to find a few good people, we can be competitive in our division. Hell we can be competitive right now. 5 out of the last 6 week have proven that. These next few games will show us what the rest of our needs are from here. I think if Nix is successful at his job, we will be in the playoffs and have a deep team to play the 18 games if there is a season next year.

Without blitzing? A 34 is meant for blitzing, the only reason our D has been doing better is because we have been blitzing which is why Moats is tearing it up. You would have to use a Tampa 2 to not Blitz and we had enough of that with Dickie J. Plus that kind of of D requires elite players at every position which is hard to build, maintain and pay for . the Best D is a 34 Zone Blitz 2gap D like the steelers and Pats run. That way you only need a few elite players and the rest can be blue collar guys and still have a great D.

But you still need an elite QB to win in the League.

Through*

besides that annoying misspell, I'm just glad you aren't on the Luck wagon.