Draft To beat NE

bisonbrigade

The Pats have mulitple picks in the first, second and third rounds in the next draft. As it now stands the Pats have the youngest defense in the NFL. Factoring in the abundance of high draft picks the distance between the two teams is going to increase, not decrease. Whatever one's feelings toward the Pats are you have to acknowledge that they are a very well run organization.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth is The Bills are going to have to build a strong Team on both sides of the ball to overtake the Pats...The Pats have done that for Years...Built a TEAM...But it's WAY easier to build a Team with a guy like Brady standing back there...Lets not forget they also had Cassel...Who won a bunch of Games for them when Brady went down and got the Pats some nice Draft Picks when they dealt him...That's why it's NEVER a bad idea to Draft and stockpile QB's...ever...

There's a million different ways to build a Championship Team, but obviously it's MUCH easier if you get the Franchise QB, and the Pats are proof positive of that...They lucked out and got their guy in the 6th Round...The chances of that happening for The Bills are slim at best...But that does not mean you don't try...I remember Mel Kiper saying he would take a QB somewhere in the Draft every year...Continue to look for that diamond in the rough because if you hit on a guy late the returns are incredible and if you already have a Franchise QB you deal the back-up for high Draft Picks...It's a viable strategy considering the success rate of later Round Picks...Where is the risk? And when you see guys like Brady, Cassel, Warner, etc...It's obvious a great QB can come from later in the Draft...You just have to be dedicated to that philosophy as an Organization...

So The Bills have Fitz in House and Andrew Luck is out of the question...The only QB's left that may, and I said MAY, Grade out where The Bills Pick in the 1st Round look to be Mallett and Newton...If Nix and Gailey feel either of those guys give The Bills a chance at a true Franchise QB they're going to take him...I swear it's that simple...But if not they'll go elsewhere and continue to build around Fitz...To be honest I think the Bills are in a no-lose situation...Unless The Bills win out, which I think we all agree is a long shot, Fitz will have anywhere from a 3-11 to a 5-9 Record as a Starter...So if they take a QB high who is going to question it? It's absolutely nothing against Fitz who has played REAL well at times this year, but the truth is the guy is 11-22-1 as a Starter in the NFL up to this point...Who would blame The Bills for taking a chance on Mallett or Newton? And if Nix and Gailey decide no QB is worth that 1st Round Pick Fitz has definitely show enough to consider building around him...Like I said it seems like a no-lose situation no matter how you go...They can Draft a bust Defensive Player as easily as they can a QB...It all depends on how Nix and Gailey want to proceed from this point on... B-)

If The Bills are to ever make the playoffs it will have to be threw NE. Drafting a QB like Luck or Mallet in the first round is not the Answer. The answer is to have a Denfense that is able to presure Brady without blitzing. The front 7 has to be able to get to Brady wittout blitzing. Brady can read a blitz and burn it with a short pass. The Bills need to load up on pass rushers, as many as possible. Draft DE and OLB, not QB. Fitzpatrick is our QB. Besides Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Rothslickbugguer name a QB in the AFC better than Fitzpatrick.

No matter who the Bills draft their brain trust will have to be twice as good as the Pats. NE has twice the picks of the Bills in the first four rounds next year. Nix has already admitted he is not the smartest guy in the room. I agree with him.

The pats are first in the league with nearly 32 points pwer game. Hence the key to beating them is probably to keep them off the field (much like Parcells did with the Bills in our first superbowl. That means a time killing stultifying running game.

The second part is to keep Brady in check with a front seven that gives him no time to do anything.

Sounds like a draft and personnel plan to give strength to run blocking and pass rushing.

I don't think New England is invincible.

The pats are first in the league with nearly 32 points pwer game. Hence the key to beating them is probably to keep them off the field (much like Parcells did with the Bills in our first superbowl. That means a time killing stultifying running game.

The second part is to keep Brady in check with a front seven that gives him no time to do anything.

Sounds like a draft and personnel plan to give strength to run blocking and pass rushing.

I don't think New England is invincible.

True...And I think The Giants gave the NFL the blueprint on how to beat the Pats a few years back...Building a Front 7 like the one the Giants had is a heck of a hill to climb though...MUCH easier said than done... B-)

True...And I think The Giants gave the NFL the blueprint on how to beat the Pats a few years back...Building a Front 7 like the one the Giants had is a heck of a hill to climb though...MUCH easier said than done... B-)

But said blueprint is only good if Brady is hurt and not 100% as was the case in that game.

In my mind, the team to pattern, if you can, is the Baltimore Ravens. They seem to be the outfit best able to reduce the Patriots to their worst and having beat them, at home, in the AFC Playoffs, that is enough for me to believe this is the way to go. I also think that the Pats have been spotty, of late, with the draft, so maybe that isn't quite the factor we all think its going to be! The truth is they won't be drafting the quality at the top end of the first round, as the Bills are going to do in April. I am also in the camp where the Bills retool this defense into one nasty bunch of playmakers. I'd go so far as taking the best pass rusher in Da'Quan Bowers and following that up with a player like Von Miller late in the first round after a trade up! By the way, the way to kill the beast is to cut its head off, and for years the Bills have treated Tom Brady as a honored guest! I say beat the hell out of him to the point that he hates his yearly visits to Western New York!! Long live a dominant defense and stout running game!!!

If we are ever going to beat NE we need a QB who can make quick, correct defensive reads. Good luck with a rookie QB. Bellicheat would have him for lunch. On the other side we need the best pass rushers we can find. People hung up on drafting a QB should go back to playing Madden.

PTR

The point of drafting a QB NOW is so we won't have to start a ROOKIE QB in the future. :wallbash:

We have a legit QB to give a young QB time to develop into a better QB. I wouldn't even mind taking a raw QB like Locker in the 2nd and develop him under Chan and Fitz. Now that we're officially out of the Luck lottery.

If The Bills are to ever make the playoffs it will have to be threw NE. Drafting a QB like Luck or Mallet in the first round is not the Answer. The answer is to have a Denfense that is able to presure Brady without blitzing. The front 7 has to be able to get to Brady wittout blitzing. Brady can read a blitz and burn it with a short pass. The Bills need to load up on pass rushers, as many as possible. Draft DE and OLB, not QB. Fitzpatrick is our QB. Besides Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Rothslickbugguer name a QB in the AFC better than Fitzpatrick.

I agree. Stop Brady and you stop the Pats.

Tricky Dick must have had nightmares about Brady to Moss over and over to keep drafting DB's like he did....even with the reach for Maybin as an elite pass rusher to help get to Brady, he was grasping for straws all over.

Anyway, just drafting to beat the Patriots isn't going to change anything in Buffalo.

1) The Bills need an owner dedicated to winning like the Patriots have in Robert Kraft., not just an owner dedicated to scheming to filling the stadium seats.

2) They will need to hire a coach who can actually compete with Bill Belichick in all phases-drafting-gameplanning-talent evualation- coaching

3) they will need a "smartest guy in the room" type GM to help the team bring in proper free agents and draftees, not a guy who states he isn't the smartest guy in the room and brings in Cornell Green

The last few years other teams have shown the Bills how to beat the Patriots, like the utter beat down the Ravens gave NE... AT New England in that AFC wildcard game 33-14. You know the one where the Ravens ran the ball down the throats of the Pats for over 200+ yards 3 TD's and Flacco had 4 passes for 10 yards. That game showed that you DON"T need an elite QB to to beat them, Fitz is fine at QB. But!, don't expect Chan Gailey to beat Belichick anytine soon, it took the guy 8 weeks into the season to figure out he had a great RB in Fred Jackson. If he knew what he had in Jackson before last seasons draft I'll bet he doesn't draft Spiller

This is a blue collar city, I would think that this city would dearly love to embrace a team built like the Ravens, smash mouth defense and running game...or perhaps that is just what I would love to see in Buffalo. So many just don't get the fact that the entire time the Bills had the k-gun offense and "machine gun" Kelly, that they also ran the ball more then they threw with Thrurman Thomas in those glory years. The old Redskin "countertrey" offense and Thurman Thomas was almost unstoppable all those years. The Dolphins had Dan Marino back then, but they never did find a back like Thomas. The Broncos had John Elway, but they didn't win a SB until Terrell Davis.

I agree. Stop Brady and you stop the Pats.

Complete and utter horse hockey...

What about the year the Pats lost Brady for the season, and then they let a guy play who hadn't started a game since high school in QB Matt Cassell...they still beat the Bills 2x. Not only that, the second game was in Buffalo and high winds so it made condidtions favorable for the Buffalo Bills with Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch, since the 3 starting NE RB's were all injured!! Forget that... the Pats still beat Buffalo with a 4th string unknown RB who managed 100 yards on the ground...where is that RB now, is he even with the team anymore?

The Patriots could switch their entire set of players / teams with Buffalo and give the Bills Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Bill Belichick would still figure out a way to shut him down and beat Buffalo

Well, Cassell, Flacco, and Schaub come to mind.

If we are ever going to beat NE we need a QB who can make quick, correct defensive reads. Good luck with a rookie QB. Bellicheat would have him for lunch. On the other side we need the best pass rushers we can find. People hung up on drafting a QB should go back to playing Madden.

PTR

Agree 100%!!! I stated this in another post! That's exactly what the steelers did! They got to him, hit and rattled him! He ripped into his oline and everything changed!

But prior to that, the steelers were in his a**! And that's exactly how you beat the pats!

To beat NE, we just need to draft a few more guys on defense and let Edwards teach them?

Look, Brady has faced the toughest defenses in the league this year--they all tried something different. All gave it their best shot. Who are the best defenses? He beat SD and Baltimore. He destroyed the Jets, Bears, Steelers and Miami. These are teams that have defensive personnel and coaching that are light years ahead of ours.

I think Fitz is doing great, but to beat NE, you are going to have to outgun them.

One way to beat NE is to have your most physical LB/DB line up right off Welker and flatten that little pip squeaks ass to turf on every down. Plus ya need to get pressure on him since he has shown trouble with pressure plus having Wleker picking himself up off turf gives ya time before that dump off.

Brady has 6 different receivers with at least 325 yards so far this year.

Be careful when cherry picking that Pats/Ravens playoff game as the blueprint on how to beat Brady and the Pats. Not only was that a far different Patriots team back then but in that game Brady played with broken ribs.

Key is to stop Brady from putting up mega points obviously. But that's easier said than done as witnesses by the upper echelon defenses Brady has dismantled this season. The problem is the Pats offense is built to morph in and out of different offenses week in and week out making it near impossible for defenses to gameplan for. This was the impetus for them trading away Moss; so that they'd be far less predictable and thus much tougher to gameplan for.

Exploiting them on defense is much easier and likely will be until such time as all of that young talent Belichick has drafted gets acclimated on defense. It seems that is already starting to happen the last 4 or so weeks and almost certainly will continue to happen going forward.

Add in what should be another significant draft haul next April and it's gonna be a serious upward battle to dethrone the Pats for some time to come. Well, for at least as long as Brady is under center and Belichick roams the Pats sideline in his hoodie.

Be careful when cherry picking that Pats/Ravens playoff game as the blueprint on how to beat Brady and the Pats. Not only was that a far different Patriots team back then but in that game Brady played with broken ribs.

Key is to stop Brady from putting up mega points obviously. But that's easier said than done as witnesses by the upper echelon defenses Brady has dismantled this season. The problem is the Pats offense is built to morph in and out of different offenses week in and week out making it near impossible for defenses to gameplan for. This was the impetus for them trading away Moss; so that they'd be far less predictable and thus much tougher to gameplan for.

Exploiting them on defense is much easier and likely will be until such time as all of that young talent Belichick has drafted gets acclimated on defense. It seems that is already starting to happen the last 4 or so weeks and almost certainly will continue to happen going forward.

Add in what should be another significant draft haul next April and it's gonna be a serious upward battle to dethrone the Pats for some time to come. Well, for at least as long as Brady is under center and Belichick roams the Pats sideline in his hoodie.

Yea well, one of the points of my posts was to show that the Patriots have shown they DON"T need Tom Brady to win games, most of you guys have Brady on the brain....

Should Brady have never returned to the NFL from his knee injury I'd imagine that Matt Cassell would be leading the Pats to an 11-2 mark this year as he is playing very well in KC. The blueprint given by the Ravens is to build a power running game and keep the ball away from the opposing QB by running the ball and eating up the clock, they also had a very formidable defense that could bring pressure with just the front four and a secondary that could stop them on third down.

The Bills have the secondary, but they lack the linebackers that can cover AND stop the run, they also only have one, perhaps 2 good D linemen ATM with poor players at DE.. The Bills also lack a a few players on the O line. For this years draft and free agency, 2 quality linemen for each side would go a long way to helping the Bills becoming a better team.

In another 4 years, Bob Brady will be too old to play and they will need a new QB

And more than likely, when that happens, The Bills will beat the Pats again semi-regularly...Until then it's gonna be REAL tough...Unless Brady gets hurt again...

The Bills are 10-11 vs. Miami and 9-12 vs. The Jets since 2000...Not great records, but considering they're 2-19 in the same span vs. The Patsies...I'd say Brady has made a HUGE difference...I realize they beat us with Cassel too, and the Pats with the Master Belichick will always be tough...But let's face it Brady has seriously got our number...Plus I think Belichick retires when Brady does and they ride off into the sunset together holding hands or something like that...B-)

QB is the biggest gamble you can take in the draft. we aren't good enough to make any overly risky draft moves. draft a qb, and no matter what he looks like there is a s*** ton of money wrapped up in him, and he will probably get three seasons minimum to prove himself. i understand that a dynasty qb gives us a chance to be in the playoffs for a decade, but how rare is that. stick to the course. go bills!

Patriots just put up 39 points against the Steelers, 45 points against the Jets and 36 against the Bears. The numbers 3, 4 and 8 ranked TOTAL defenses in the league. Soooo....yeaaa.

We need a balanced team to beat the Patriots on offense and defense. The Patriots are going to put up points REGARDLESS of who they're playing so we better be ready to score some points ourselves.

So if you guys are saying that the only way to beat the Patriots is defense. YOU'RE wrong. Patriots are gonna score their points. We need a balanced team.

Edited by DreReed83