Bills looking to add more depth to the O-line

Jerry Jabber

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/12/14/1875470/report-bills-to-sign-ol-colin-brown-former-chief-and-raven

With Cordero Howard most likely going to IR, looks like the Bills are trying to add to their O-line with Colin Brown. Brown is 6'8" 325 lbs. While Brown has played Guard, he sounds like he would be a good fit at Tackle. Also, Chad Rinehart (who was just activated from the practice squad) impressed Gailey with his play on Sunday and will be the starting RG this Sunday. I have to give credit to Nix, Whaley & Gailey for picking up players that can be effective while they are losing their starters to injury.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/12/13/rinehart-to-start-at-rg/

Edited by Jerry Jabber

http://www.buffaloru...chief-and-raven

With Cordero Howard most likely going to IR, looks like the Bills are trying to add to their O-line with Colin Brown. Brown is 6'8" 325 lbs. While Brown has played Guard, he sounds like he would be a good fit at Tackle. Also, Chad Rinehart (who was just activated from the practice squad) impressed Gailey with his play on Sunday and will be the starting RG this Sunday. I have to give credit to Nix, Whaley & Gailey for picking up players that can be effective while they are losing their starters to injury.

http://blogs.buffalo...to-start-at-rg/

They're certainly trying, to say the least. Is it me or are they bringing in a lot of guys for tryouts? Do all teams do this? I really don't recall the previous FO making this many in-season moves. I fully expect Evans to go in IR just so they can get another guy in for a few weeks.

They're certainly trying, to say the least. Is it me or are they bringing in a lot of guys for tryouts? Do all teams do this? I really don't recall the previous FO making this many in-season moves. I fully expect Evans to go in IR just so they can get another guy in for a few weeks.

I think all teams do this. I know Cleveland does, but I've heard of players working out for Cowboys, etc this year.

It definitely looks like the Bills are bringing in a lot of guys in for tryouts. I'm glad to see it. Gailey did say they're always looking to to improve and upgrade the team and he's living up to his word. What I like about Nix & Gailey, is that they are quick to get rid of the players that aren't working out (Like Trent Edwards & Cornell Green).

I'm glad you started this topic. I was gonna post on the Bills player acquisitions from this year and the way that Nix and Doug Whaley have been very proactive about bringing in players to audition and evaluate for long-term roles.

Just in the last month or so, these are the Bills player additions. Some but not all of the additions were due to injury.

12/11/2010 signed DT Kellen Heard

12/07/2010 added C Sean Allen to practice squad

12/07/2010 promoted G Chad Rinehart to the active 53-man roster

12/06/2010 claimed and awarded LB Pierre Woods off waivers

12/03/2010 claimed and awarded TE Scott Chandler off waivers

12/02/2010 signed TE Mike Caussin

11/30/2010 added OL Marc Dile to practice squad

11/30/2010 added DB Trae Williams to practice squad

11/27/2010 promoted LB Thomas Williams to the 53-man active roster

11/27/2010 promoted WR Naaman Roosevelt to the 53-man active roster

11/23/2010 added WR Paul Hubbard to practice squad

11/23/2010 added DL Ko Quaye to practice squad

11/23/2010 added LB Jammie Kirlew to practice squad

11/19/2010 promoted FB Jehuu Caulcrick to the active 53-man roster

11/10/2010 added WR Montez Billings to practice squad

11/10/2010 added FB Jehuu Caulcrick to practice squad

11/10/2010 signed LB Mike Balogun

11/10/2010 promoted WR Paul Hubbard to the active 53-man roster

11/08/2010 signed RB Quinton Ganther

Keep in mind, also that the Bills added Kraig Urbik, Mansfield Wrotto, Akin Ayodele, and Namaan Roosevelt as free agents. We also took a shot on Shawne Merriman and there have been at least a dozen more players who the Bills have brought in for various lengths of time. I'd say the football department has been very busy. Much busier than most NFL teams and certainly much busier than they were under Dick Jauron. I think this is a very good sign.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/transactions.html

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I'm glad you started this topic. I was gonna post on the Bills player acquisitions from this year and the way that Nix and Doug Whaley have been very proactive about bringing in players to audition and evaluate for long-term roles.

Just in the last month or so, these are the Bills player additions. Some but not all of the additions were due to injury.

12/11/2010 signed DT Kellen Heard

12/07/2010 added C Sean Allen to practice squad

12/07/2010 promoted G Chad Rinehart to the active 53-man roster

12/06/2010 claimed and awarded LB Pierre Woods off waivers

12/03/2010 claimed and awarded TE Scott Chandler off waivers

12/02/2010 signed TE Mike Caussin

11/30/2010 added OL Marc Dile to practice squad

11/30/2010 added DB Trae Williams to practice squad

11/27/2010 promoted LB Thomas Williams to the 53-man active roster

11/27/2010 promoted WR Naaman Roosevelt to the 53-man active roster

11/23/2010 added WR Paul Hubbard to practice squad

11/23/2010 added DL Ko Quaye to practice squad

11/23/2010 added LB Jammie Kirlew to practice squad

11/19/2010 promoted FB Jehuu Caulcrick to the active 53-man roster

11/10/2010 added WR Montez Billings to practice squad

11/10/2010 added FB Jehuu Caulcrick to practice squad

11/10/2010 signed LB Mike Balogun

11/10/2010 promoted WR Paul Hubbard to the active 53-man roster

11/08/2010 signed RB Quinton Ganther

Keep in mind, also that the Bills added Kraig Urbik, Mansfield Wrotto, Akin Ayodele, and Namaan Roosevelt as free agents. We also took a shot on Shawne Merriman and there have been at least a dozen more players who the Bills have brought in for various lengths of time. I'd say the football department has been very busy. Much busier than most NFL teams and certainly much busier than they were under Dick Jauron. I think this is a very good sign.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/transactions.html

Great post!! Thanks for the list of players the Bills picked up. After looking at all the players the Bills picked up, it shows they are really trying to improve this team. Like others have said, it does look like Nix & Whaley are bringing in a lot of players for tryouts. Most people knew going into the season, that this year would be one long pre-season for the Bills as Nix, Whaley & Gailey would use this year as a long evaluation period for the players on the team. I expect the Bills to have a good amount of turnover as players the FO/coaches feel won't work out will be cut loose.

Great post. The knuckleheads who hate Gailey and think Nix should be sent out to pasture for having the nerve to age past 40 should note how active and how good the FO has been throughout the season with these pick-ups. Aside from the Green signing in the off season, their additions have been consistently successful with the possible exception of Merriman (though if he'd stayed healthy enough to play, I've got to think he too would have contributed). Not one of these guys when added to the game day roster has been a bum. In fact, they've all done well. That's a tremendous compliment to the FO.

This success also indicates to me that the pro scout department has been vastly improved which is another solid addition to the changes under Nix. Buddy also said last winter that the Bills were going to significantly shore up their college scouting department. If he's done that since then -- and I have to believe he has -- that bodes very well for the draft.

The trend I see is they bring in guys that have worked under Gailey before. Colin Brown was a Chiefs pick in '09 when I believe Chan was still with the team. That may be one reason these pick-ups seem to get up to speed quickly.

Gailey has also stated that many of these signings are auditions for next year. The Bills have the chance to test these free agents in game situations and get a sense if they have future potential.

PTR

The trend I see is they bring in guys that have worked under Gailey before. Colin Brown was a Chiefs pick in '09 when I believe Chan was still with the team. That may be one reason these pick-ups seem to get up to speed quickly.

Gailey has also stated that many of these signings are auditions for next year. The Bills have the chance to test these free agents in game situations and get a sense if they have future potential.

PTR

might as well try them out for next year.all we can do now is close out the season with a bang.it just occured to me.i bet it is tough to game plan for us with all the player shuffling, just a thought

PTR

Another way to look at it is that they're trying to make up for years of bad drafting, by picking up guys they would have drafted if they were here back then.

Great post!! Thanks for the list of players the Bills picked up. After looking at all the players the Bills picked up, it shows they are really trying to improve this team. Like others have said, it does look like Nix & Whaley are bringing in a lot of players for tryouts. Most people knew going into the season, that this year would be one long pre-season for the Bills as Nix, Whaley & Gailey would use this year as a long evaluation period for the players on the team. I expect the Bills to have a good amount of turnover as players the FO/coaches feel won't work out will be cut loose.

Are they being brought in for injury replacement?

How many can you keep on the PS?

Edited by Mr. WEO