bills end favres streak

section122

You mean ESPN's classless coverage. What did Brett Favre do that was classless? How is Favre's fault that ESPN reported every time he hiccuped, coughed, or farted?

He waffled. Once he unretired the first time, he insisted to the Packers that he should be playing and be the starter...all of this after they committed to Aaron Rodgers. He then pulled a spoiled brat act and forced the trade to the Jets.

ESPN blew it out of proportion in the best way ever, but it's not like they're totally at fault.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He waffled. Once he unretired the first time, he insisted to the Packers that he should be playing and be the starter...all of this after they committed to Aaron Rodgers. He then pulled a spoiled brat act and forced the trade to the Jets.

ESPN blew it out of proportion in the best way ever, but it's not like they're totally at fault.

So it's classless that he wanted to continue to play football, when the leadership of the franchise decided his career was over?

What other player is asked "are you sure you don't want to retire? Why don't you retire now?" Usually it's just assumed you'll be back the next season if you're under contract. The Packers created the situation.

When the leadership wanted to get thier new shiny toy on the field and send the old man to the scrap heap, it was classless of him to ask to be traded to a team where he could still play?

You're welcome to your opinion but it sounds like your opinion comes straight from Sportscenter.

I don't think it's classless for a player to want to play.

So it's classless that he wanted to continue to play football, when the leadership of the franchise decided his career was over?

What other player is asked "are you sure you don't want to retire? Why don't you retire now?" Usually it's just assumed you'll be back the next season if you're under contract. The Packers created the situation.

When the leadership wanted to get thier new shiny toy on the field and send the old man to the scrap heap, it was classless of him to ask to be traded to a team where he could still play?

You're welcome to your opinion but it sounds like your opinion comes straight from Sportscenter.

I agree. Guy liked to play ball. Took a beating last year (one of his best) that few, if any, starters have ever taken and didn't miss a game.

Vikings kept going down to his shanty to drag him back. After coming so close to the SB last year, why wouldn't he be tempted to come back?

Why such venom for the guy? It's a loser's/sour grapes mentality.

I don't disagree with your statements, but you're missing my point.

The Packers didn't tell him to retire - Brett retired on his own accord in January (maybe February). The Packers moved on into their off-season with the seemingly legitimate assumption that he wasn't coming back. Once training camp started, he changed his mind. I have no problem with the guy wanting to play and I had all the respect in the world for his desire. But the problem was that he put the Packers into a bad spot by insisting he come back and be the starter, when they had already made their plans.

Imagine that you get hired for your dream job, but the guy who had been working that job for 20 years and had (apparently) left the company decides he doesn't like his new job and wants to come back.

Or this...imagine that you win 4 Superbowl tickets, but one of your buddies gives up his ticket in early January. You find a 4th guy and make all the travel plans. Then your original buddy calls you a week before the game to say he's in again and wants you to tell the other guy he's out.

Edited by BuffaloWings

I don't disagree with your statements, but you're missing my point.

The Packers didn't tell him to retire - Brett retired on his own accord in January (maybe February). The Packers moved on into their off-season with the seemingly legitimate assumption that he wasn't coming back. Once training camp started, he changed his mind. I have no problem with the guy wanting to play and I had all the respect in the world for his desire. But the problem was that he put the Packers into a bad spot by insisting he come back and be the starter, when they had already made their plans.

Imagine that you get hired for your dream job, but the guy who had been working that job for 20 years and had (apparently) left the company decides he doesn't like his new job and wants to come back.

Or this...imagine that you win 4 Superbowl tickets, but one of your buddies gives up his ticket in early January. You find a 4th guy and make all the travel plans. Then your original buddy calls you a week before the game to say he's in again and wants you to tell the other guy he's out.

How would you like it if your bosses came to you and said, "You know you're getting up there. You should really hang it up. Do you really want to wake up every morning and go to work, you can go play with the grand kids instead."

You agree with them at the time (March 4th to be exact) Then when you get time alone to think about, you still want to work but your company says "Sorry we hired your replacement."

Then you say "fine, I have a few job opportunities at other companies,"

Then your original employee tries to prevent you from working at a competitor.

What is classless about changing your mind and still wanting to work?

Is it not more classless, to try and send an employee to early retirement and then prevent them from trying to work when they decide they still want to work?

People act like deciding to retire is a decision on par with deciding what color socks you want to wear. Retiring is one of the biggest decisions anyone will make in your life, its not cut and dry. 4 weeks in between the NFC championship and game and Free Agency timetable for the Packers is probably not enough time for anyone to make that decision. Most people plan for retirement for decades not weeks. Most NFL QBs don't have the luxury to decide, most QBs have their career ended for them.

No one was asking Dan Marino or Joe Montana for one more season. An NFL team asking a 40 year old man to come back for 1 more season has never happened before and will probably never happen again.

I don't understand how this reflects poorly on Brett Favre.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Not bad.. Joe Montana & Favre...

Great, great memory, my friend. :thumbsup:

For some reason, this is a popularly held misconception. I too thought that Montana's last game was in that 1993 loss to the Bills at The Ralph in the AFC Championship Game. I was at that game and remember him sitting alone on the bench, concussed, looking forlorn and broken.

This was brought up a few weeks ago and someone else made the correction:

Montana's last game was actually the following year (1994) when the Chiefs lost to Miami in a Wild Card game.

Weird how our memory plays tricks.

I will always be glad that my team ended that media whore's career.

You mean ESPN's classless coverage. What did Brett Favre do that was classless? How is Favre's fault that ESPN reported every time he hiccuped, coughed, or farted?

um...how about "retiring" and holding franchises in limbo? He had a personal vendetta against McCarthy and TT, and wanted to win a Superbowl with the Vikes to prove them wrong. Plain and simple. To suggest he did it for his "love of the game" is ludicrous. He was a media whore who thought he was better than he was.

Oh...and this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/13/favre-tries-to-profit-from-end-of-streak/

Edited by Marauder24

I will always be glad that my team ended that media whore's career.

um...how about "retiring" and holding franchises in limbo? He had a personal vendetta against McCarthy and TT, and wanted to win a Superbowl with the Vikes to prove them wrong. Plain and simple. To suggest he did it for his "love of the game" is ludicrous. He was a media whore who thought he was better than he was.

Please explain how he was a media whore?

Did he call ESPN and create a show called the "Indecision?"

Did he call people in for interviews?

Did he make any attempt to have people come down to his land and follow him around while he decides?

The media came to him, he didn't come to media, and the few interviews he granted far outweigh the interviews he turned down. This is not really the actions of a "media whore."

If ESPN decides to take the slow sports season of the summer and report on every time Brett Favre picks his wedgie, how is Brett Favre a media whore?

Explain to me how one player holds a franchise in "Limbo" and which franchise are you saying was in "Limbo?"

This is more ESPN opinion, word for word, than reality.

The Pack wasn't in "Limbo" they has a QB ready to go.

The Jets weren't in "Limbo" they were done with Favre's injuries and drafted a QB.

The Vikes weren't in "Limbo" in 2009. Where Favre proved everybody wrong and had one of the best seasons of his long career.

The Vikes maybe were in "Limbo" in 2010. They knew TJAX sucked, and needed Favre to come back. So I'll give ESPN the 2010 Vikes. Clearly the Vikes shouldn't have sent the team down to convince him to come back, and clearly the management screwed up by not getting a viable option behind Favre.

Please explain how he was a media whore?

Did he call ESPN and create a show called the "Indecision?"

Did he call people in for interviews?

Did he make any attempt to have people come down to his land and follow him around while he decides?

The media came to him, he didn't come to media, and the few interviews he granted far outweigh the interviews he turned down. This is not really the actions of a "media whore."

If ESPN decides to take the slow sports season of the summer and report on every time Brett Favre picks his wedgie, how is Brett Favre a media whore?

Explain to me how one player holds a franchise in "Limbo" and which franchise are you saying was in "Limbo?"

This is more ESPN opinion, word for word, than reality.

The Pack wasn't in "Limbo" they has a QB ready to go.

The Jets weren't in "Limbo" they were done with Favre's injuries and drafted a QB.

The Vikes weren't in "Limbo" in 2009. Where Favre proved everybody wrong and had one of the best seasons of his long career.

The Vikes maybe were in "Limbo" in 2010. They knew TJAX sucked, and needed Favre to come back. So I'll give ESPN the 2010 Vikes. Clearly the Vikes shouldn't have sent the team down to convince him to come back, and clearly the management screwed up by not getting a viable option behind Favre.

The beauty of his media whorism is that people like you don't think it was. It's never Brett's fault. He got what he deserved and you will never change my mind about that. Had he retired a Packer, I would have admired him. He didn't, and his subsequent actions have been making me wish for the career ender.

The beauty of his media whorism is that people like you don't think it was. It's never Brett's fault. He got what he deserved and you will never change my mind about that. Had he retired a Packer, I would have admired him. He didn't, and his subsequent actions have been making me wish for the career ender.

Makes sense.

His "Media Whoreism" really helps a guy that chooses to live on a ranch in the middle of Mississippi, right where all the media has easy access to him.

I'm sure Brett Favre's "media whorism" will last all offseason when ESPN tries to turn it into a story again.

The Beauty of being brainwashed is you don't even realize it.

Makes sense.

His "Media Whoreism" really helps a guy that chooses to live on a ranch in the middle of Mississippi, right where all the media has easy access to him.

I'm sure Brett Favre's "media whorism" will last all offseason when ESPN tries to turn it into a story again.

The Beauty of being brainwashed is you don't even realize it.

Interesting analysis, though it has a major flaw. I live in Canada and we don't get ESPN. Therefore my being "brainwashed" by an entity that does not exist here is impossible.

And you have obviously bought into the "aw shucks" image of Brett Favre. You probably have a poster of the dick picture he sent to Sterger next to your bed too. Oh wait, Brett lives in Mississippi and doesn't have a cell phone and that incident was ESPN's fault as well.

Edited by Marauder24

Interesting analysis, though it has a major flaw. I live in Canada and we don't get ESPN. Therefore my being "brainwashed" by an entity that does not exist here is impossible.

And you have obviously bought into the "aw shucks" image of Brett Favre. You probably have a poster of the dick picture he sent to Sterger next to your bed too. Oh wait, Brett lives in Mississippi and doesn't have a cell phone and that incident was ESPN's fault as well.

Interesting that when the facts around your opinion are challenged you revert to dick jokes, instead of a logical discussion.

I guess they don't have the internet in Canada as well.

See your above post. You asked what he did that was classless, therefore my "dick" reference. I guess they don't have a sense of humour where you are from. And are you suggesting that every time I refer to a sports story, I read ESPN? Your argument is based purely on ESPN saturating the market with Favre stories. Enough facts for you?

Edited by Marauder24

See your above post. You asked what he did that was classless, therefore my "dick" reference. I guess they don't have a sense of humour where you are from. And are you suggesting that every time I refer to a sports story, I read ESPN? Your argument is based purely on ESPN saturating the market with Favre stories. Enough facts for you?

Still didn't answer the question.

How exactly is Brett Favre a media whore?

Because he cried over a dozen times, never backed away from an interview, and couldn't just go out on a high note like John Elway.

Yeah, retiring after having your pass intercepted in the NFC Championship game that costs your team a trip to the super bowl is just like retiring after winning back to back super bowls. :wallbash: