Obviously Bills Are Going Defense With First Pick

BuffaloBaumer

why waste a QB at any pick? If you draft a QB in rounds 2 and 3, odds are he isn't going to be a franchise guy. Might as well draft more defense and o-line in rounds 2 and 3.

Damn straight.

Think about it....why waste 2nd or 3rd rounder on a player you know will not play in 2011, and may not for the foreseeable future.

Who's sitting there in those rounds that'll suddenly leapfrog both Brohm and Brown, not to mention Fitzpatrick? Remember, there's only 1 QB on the field at a time. How about a linebacker in the 2nd? Maybe a TE? A defensive end? Backup OT?

To be honest, I don't see the Bills taking a quarterback at all, unless Gailey and staff have had enough time to size up Brohm and Brown and don't think they have any potential. If that's the case, bring in a FA veteran who can substitute for a 1 or 2 week if injury dictates. This team has too many needs to waste high draft picks on couple years into the future. The future is now.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and there are people who had hoped to throw an NFL coaching job to a B12 guy with a gimmick offense (yet successful) who like Pirates who happens to still be unemployed, despite public pleas to be considered for various jobs. It takes all types.

Oh, touché!!!

Now that you're pleased with yourself about zinging me for being a Leach fan, can we get back to the thread?

(I think Leach's history of unparalleled success in every single coaching position he's ever had will eventually result in a good gig once the legal crap is settles - otherwise, I guess you're saying unemployed coaches like John Gruden, Brian Billick, Chan Gailey, et al who have been out of the game for a few years had best give up hopes of ever coaching again? :unsure: )

You must not have heard what Chan Gailey said 16 weeks ago - " Trent Edwards is our starter - he's earned it. "

Now that the real starter has emerged (after Gailey's ridiculous charade of a 3-way competition determined that Edwards was our best QB :rolleyes:), it will be interesting to see if the Bills tender an offer to RFA Brohm after the season ends. I still think he's rife with potential.

I think both Brohm and Brown (hmmm Brohwn?) have potential. It's just funny how quickly things can change.

Oh, touché!!!

Now that you're pleased with yourself about zinging me for being a Leach fan, can we get back to the thread?

(I think Leach's history of unparalleled success in every single coaching position he's ever had will eventually result in a good gig once the legal crap is settles - otherwise, I guess you're saying unemployed coaches like John Gruden, Brian Billick, Chan Gailey, et al who have been out of the game for a few years had best give up hopes of ever coaching again? :unsure: )

Not pleased (and you mischaracterized my point in any event), but disappointed someone with your intellect resorts to insults of those who disagree with him.

As to your point on Gruden/Billick/Gailey, there are over 3x the number of college head coaching position than there are professional jobs, yet he isn't getting a sniff (unlike the others mentioned on your list).

Not pleased (and you mischaracterized my point in any event), but disappointed someone with your intellect resorts to insults of those who disagree with him.

As to your point on Gruden/Billick/Gailey, there are over 3x the number of college head coaching position than there are professional jobs, yet he isn't getting a sniff (unlike the others mentioned on your list).

Ouch. Got me again. NOW can we get back to the thread about the draft??? :rolleyes:

a nurse I work with told me that Andrew luck had

Talked to the manning family for advice. They are telling him

To stay another year. Her son is a coach for Stanford.

You mean he might actually stay at Stanford, finish his degree, and not declare for the 2011 draft???

Wow, I'm totally amazed! B-)

Edited by The Senator

A frequent point on this board is how Gailey has a history of making the most out of the QB talent he has available. The evidence for this is a short collection of players with niche skills that don't have the whole package of abilities to thrive in an average NFL offense.

The draft is our opportunity to stock our team with talent in the way that will make our team more successful. If our offense can be (at a minimum) competitive with moderate talent, and our defense has been struggling to be mediocre for most of the season, wouldn't it make more sense to stockpile the defense with talent?

We don't know that Chan's coaching style will lead to proportionally better results by adding top-level players. It could, but he may also simply specialize in making the most of less tools. If the defense needs high-end well-rounded talent to be successful, that's where we should put it.

Edited by Grimace

You must not have heard what Chan Gailey said 16 weeks ago - " Trent Edwards is our starter - he's earned it. "

Now that the real starter has emerged (after Gailey's ridiculous charade of a 3-way competition determined that Edwards was our best QB :rolleyes:), it will be interesting to see if the Bills tender an offer to RFA Brohm after the season ends. I still think he's rife with potential.

Not trying to start an argument, but do you really think this was Chan's choice? Based on what we're seeing now, do you think Chan misjudged Trent and Fitz's ability - and what he could do with that ability - that much?

I think this was a political "choice" that came down from above. We saw glimpses of what Trent could do in the past. He really lit it up for a bunch of games too. I don't think a new face could've come in here and rightaway declared Trent garbage and cut him. I don't think Ralph (who picked him if I remember correctly) or the fans (who saw glimpses of brilliance in the past) would've got behind that move. Instead, it looked like Chan had to show us (and the rest of OBD) that he was trash.

Not trying to start an argument, but do you really think this was Chan's choice? Based on what we're seeing now, do you think Chan misjudged Trent and Fitz's ability - and what he could do with that ability - that much?

I think this was a political "choice" that came down from above. We saw glimpses of what Trent could do in the past. He really lit it up for a bunch of games too. I don't think a new face could've come in here and rightaway declared Trent garbage and cut him. I don't think Ralph (who picked him if I remember correctly) or the fans (who saw glimpses of brilliance in the past) would've got behind that move. Instead, it looked like Chan had to show us (and the rest of OBD) that he was trash.

I understand your point, and am not looking to argue either - I'm sure politics played a role in the decision, but Gailey was so vocal about a wide-open competition (which everyone knew was a lie), almost to the point of being cocky about the announcement that Edwards had won said fake-competition.

I'm a Gailey-fan, but let's not pretend the guy walks on water - that whole Edwards decision, and Gailey's vile canard about an ' open competition ' that Fanning-Boy somehow won, cemented the first half of our season. Imagine how different the season might have gone had Fitz been the starter from week one.

BTW - you may have a point about Ralph wanting Edwards, but I doubt the fans would have had any problem at all seeing him relegated to a back-up role. If it really WAS Ralph's call to go with Edwards, hopefully Chan's small modicum of success in the 2nd half will allow him to ' grow a pair ' in future personnel decisions.

Wow, that seems to be the ultimate spin for this move.

Chan knew TE was terrible, but he had to make it look like he studied all the film from last season, all the offseason sessions, camp and preseason--and still chose TE. And after the crappy first game, he wanted to really rub it in Ralph's face by starting TE again. Finally, he dumped TE so that his secret choice all along, Fitz, could take over and show everyone how clever Chan is.

Yeah, that's plausible...

Chan clearly knows how to coach these Qbs and although Fitz is the starter next year, Chan will pick the future QB in 2 or 3. At this point, I don't even care which one he picks because Chan obviously knows the type of guy that works. This will be the first time in his career (I believe) where he can hand pick his student. I think this means nothing but good things as they load up the lines in FA and the draft this year.

Don't need a QB in this draft, he Got Levi and that didn't work out so well so the QB has have some talent.

Right now I see the Bills drafting around the # 8 spot, and - as I've oft stated - Luck's not coming out this year anyway.

I'm still sticking with Wisconsin LT Gabe Carimi...

Gabe Carimi wins Outland Trophy

Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi wins Outland Trophy

Did I read that wrong - it does not say that he has given up 12 sacks in 11 games right? I assume the team as a whole has only given up 12 sacks?

Did I read that wrong - it does not say that he has given up 12 sacks in 11 games right? I assume the team as a whole has only given up 12 sacks?

Your assumption is correct - Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (not a bad round 7 or UFA pickup in his own right) was sacked a total of 12 times this season.

I haven't seen every game but assume they're not all on Carimi, or he wouldn't have won the Outland for best lineman. B-)

Edited by The Senator

wilson said he wants a qb in this draft .... i think we're gonna find out who he likes in an early round, probably the 1st.

He said that just after the failed 2 week Trentative experiment. Things have definately changed. If Wilson steps in and over the advice of Nix and/or Gailey and forces a QB pick in the 1st round it would be another major 1st round snafu! We have too many holes to fill and bringing in a rookie QB who may or may not turn into a franchise QB but will almost certainly be a setback in QB play just doesn't make sense. DL, LB, RT and TE have to be our priorities. Until this team can consistently stop the run it will not matter who the QB is, we will continue losing and we can look forward to ANOTHER year without a playoff berth!