Beginning to believe the Steelers

Beerball

As I mentioned, I watched today's game in a sports bar. I saw two plays in the Pittsburgh game that make me wonder...

1. Ben R. took another shot to the facemask from a defender coming from behind, no flag.

2. On another play a Bengal (DB I think) blitzer took two full strides after Ben R. threw a pass and he blasted him in the back, no flag.

As I mentioned, I watched today's game in a sports bar. I saw two plays in the Pittsburgh game that make me wonder...

1. Ben R. took another shot to the facemask from a defender coming from behind, no flag.

2. On another play a Bengal (DB I think) blitzer took two full strides after Ben R. threw a pass and he blasted him in the back, no flag.

Vick got nailed stepping out of bounds in the 1st Quarter tonight and there should have been a 15 yard penalty called. Nope. No flag. Andy Reid and the Iggles have been complaining about a supposed double standard all year.

Vick got nailed stepping out of bounds in the 1st Quarter tonight and there should have been a 15 yard penalty called. Nope. No flag. Andy Reid and the Iggles have been complaining about a supposed double standard all year.

Yeah, saw that one too. Refs are calling those fouls (or are not calling them) based on the name on the back of the jersey.

So the refs are targeting Vick and ben? Is this because of there off field issues or???

Is it just harder to protect a mobile qb with the rules -maybe they are less apt to flag hitting bens head with a hand because with him running, ducking under tackles etc... It's much harder for a defensive player to predict locations his head might end up being. Vick gets more hits on the sideline because he is very likely to turn it up field where Brady is obviously headed out?

I don't see why the NFL would want to injure two probowl qbs

Edited by NoSaint

If it's the play I am thinking of then I have no problem with the hit on Vick. It certainly looked like he was running out of bounds, but the contact was made while he was still technically in bounds, or right on the line at worst. It didn't look egregiously late to me. Maybe the shove was harder than it needed to be but given Vick's running ability one could make the argument that he wanted to make sure he really went out of bounds and didn't cut back upfield.

Just my two cents.

So the refs are targeting Vick and ben? Is this because of there off field issues or???

Is it just harder to protect a mobile qb with the rules? Roughly they are less apt to flag hitting bens head with a hand because with him running, ducking under tackles etc... It's much harder for a defensive player to predict locations his head might end up being. Vick gets more hits on the sideline because he is very likely to turn it up field where Brady is obviously headed out?

I didn't say the NFL wants to injure anyone, I said that the refs make the calls based on the name on the back of the jersey.

Regarding Roethlisberger both hits came in the pocket.

I didn't see the play but no matter what - when attacking ben you have to anticipate he's going to fight like hell to get away. When he doesnt that in itself can be a surprise. I'm not saying it's right but a qb that moves a lot is probably harder to call some of the defenseless player stuff on... Whether going out of bounds or sitting in the pocket. Should be called fair but like any refs I'm sure there's some personal grey areas they use. Similar to a probowl wr being more likely to get a catch call or a revis not getting PI as often.

Not saying it's the right call but I could see it being a case of the refs not wanting to call a late hit on Vick because when the defender initiated the tackle motion the ref himself wasnt 100% sure if he was going out where Brady or manning you assume they are. Kind of the human element coming out.

Is it just harder to protect a mobile qb with the rules -maybe they are less apt to flag hitting bens head with a hand because with him running, ducking under tackles etc... It's much harder for a defensive player to predict locations his head might end up being. Vick gets more hits on the sideline because he is very likely to turn it up field where Brady is obviously headed out?

Nobody said that the refs were "targeting" Vick and Roethlisberger. Just that some believe (including Andy Reid and the Eagles) that the NFL has a double standard for some of their Madison Avenue 'Golden Boys' like Peyton Manning and, more specifically, Tom Brady.

Not saying it's the right call but I could see it being a case of the refs not wanting to call a late hit on Vick because when the defender initiated the tackle motion the ref himself wasnt 100% sure if he was going out where Brady or manning you assume they are. Kind of the human element coming out.

The issue is that Brady has a habit of turning around to the ref behind him to beg for calls and considering he has decent success at it, it's embarrassing for the NFL. There is a double-standard fueled largely by money. The marquis players (Manning, Brady, etc) have the most value to the league and losing them hurts the league too, not just the team. Granted, Ben and Vick are pretty big-time players, but they aren't at the level of Brady or Manning.

That "hit" on big ben was such a non-event...he wasn't punched or clubbed at all, he was dodging back there, and the guy reaching up to grab shoulder pad hit his head

The bottom line is you aren't allowed to hit the QB's head with your hand at all. I remember someone did that to Fitz (Steelers game maybe?) and it was just a grazing blow and it was called for a personal foul.

That "hit" on big ben was such a non-event...he wasn't punched or clubbed at all, he was dodging back there, and the guy reaching up to grab shoulder pad hit his head

You must have seen a differnt play than I, but as Spillertime said...like it or not a hit to the QBs head is a penalty.

Still better than the treatment he should be getting in a Gerogia jailhouse as a convicted rapist...

The issue is that Brady has a habit of turning around to the ref behind him to beg for calls and considering he has decent success at it, it's embarrassing for the NFL. There is a double-standard fueled largely by money. The marquis players (Manning, Brady, etc) have the most value to the league and losing them hurts the league too, not just the team. Granted, Ben and Vick are pretty big-time players, but they aren't at the level of Brady or Manning.

Maybe so, but the Steelers going to the Super Bowl is better for the NFL, than the Colts making it, at this point.

I respect the Steelers, and I think Harrison has some legit gripes about the fines he has received over the season, but the Steelers may get the benefit of the doubt from the refs, more than any team in the league. It has been that way for some time, IMO.

Officials have also given them more games over the years too, even a Super Bowl (along with one with this year that they shouldn't have had). They have the dirtiest team in the league, and with Harrison and Ward the two dirtiest players on offense and defense as voted on by their peers.

Part of the issue is that Ben R is huge and a beast to bring down. The refs seem to let defenders pummel him, rightly or wrongly.