Fitz is The Man

What does a guy have to do to win over these ungrateful fans ??

Well, how about we start with providing elite-level quarterback play. Not 20th best quarterback play. Not 'merely-better-than-our-last-stiff-qb' play.

Nobody hates Fitz or even dislikes him. We love him. We want him on the team. We appreciate his fire and passion and leadership.

We just want a Pro Bowl quality top 5 quarterback in the NFL, because we see that year after year after year the top 5 quarterbacks almost ALWAYS make the playoffs and compete for championships. The 20th best quarterback usually watches from home.

We want a championship, right? Or is getting back to 7-9 good enough now?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, how about we start with providing elite-level quarterback play. Not 20th best quarterback play. Not 'merely-better-than-our-last-stiff-qb' play.

Nobody hates Fitz or even dislikes him. We love him. We want him on the team. We appreciate his fire and passion and leadership.

We just want a Pro Bowl quality top 5 quarterback in the NFL, because we see that year after year after year the top 5 quarterbacks almost ALWAYS make the playoffs and compete for championships. The 20th best quarterback usually watches from home.

We want a championship, right? Or is getting back to 7-9 good enough now?

I think many fans do ask the question you pose. However, they see the BEST answer at getting to a top 5 QB as not being a draft pick of Harrington, Leaf, Smith, etc,

The actual fact is that the Bills and 31 other teams made the complete error of passing on Brady 6 or so times rather than not trading up to pick Harrington over Mike Williams.

I think many fans do ask the question you pose. However, they see the BEST answer at getting to a top 5 QB as not being a draft pick of Harrington, Leaf, Smith, etc,

The actual fact is that the Bills and 31 other teams made the complete error of passing on Brady 6 or so times rather than not trading up to pick Harrington over Mike Williams.

Sorry man, but for every Brady, there are at least ten great quarterbacks selected at the top of round 1 of the NFL draft. Just because you CAN get an elite quarterback in round 6 doesn't make it the best or most predictable way.

I don't want the Bills to select the next Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith either, trust me. But I'd rather they tried and failed to procure elite top-5 quarterback talent than throw up their hands and say it's too hard to hit on a QB and keep rolling out everyone else's leftovers.

Pleasantly surprised by a thread showing a little Fitz-loving...usually it is all hate, and how we have to replace him with a kid, with an huge contract, and accompanying ego...that will more likely than not be more of a problem than a solution.

Fitzy is our guy...let's run with it.

LOL. thanks SJ. I would as well. I'm a sucker for cute blondes who like beer. Cheers. :beer:

Not to get too personal, but so am I! I swear my GF could be your avatars twin...from the neck up any way. She's moving in next week too :thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalokie

Ok, I'll bite - name 10 great quarterbacks picked at the top since Brady.

Of the NFL quarterbacks with higher QB Ratings than Ryan Fitzpatrick, and their draft position:

Michael Vick - Round 1, #1 (2001)

Philip Rivers - Round 1, #4 (2004)

Aaron Rodgers - Round 1, #24 (2005)

Matt Cassel - Round 7, #230 (2005)

Ben Roethlisberger - Round 1, #11 (2004)

Tony Romo - UDFA

Drew Brees - Round 2, #32 (2001)

Matt Schaub - Round 3, #90

Kyle Orton - Round 4, #106 (2005)

Jay Cutler - Round 1, #11 (2006)

Joe Flacco - Round 1, #18

David Gerrard - Round 4, #108 (2001)

Matt Ryan - Round 1, #3 (2008)

Matthew Stafford - Round 1, #1 (2009)

John Kitna - UDFA

Payton Manning - Round 1, #1 (1998)

Eli Manning - Round 1, #1 (2004)

Josh Freeman - Round 1, #17 (2009)

--- Ryan Fitzpatrick ---

Sam Bradford - Round 1, #1 (2010)

Carson Palmer - Round 1, #1 (2003)

So yeah, it looks like pretty much all quarterbacks better than Ryan Fitzpatrick were selected extremely high in the NFL draft. Of the 21 highest rated QBs in the NFL this season, 13 were first round picks.

Enjoy!

Edited by akm0404

Of the NFL quarterbacks with higher QB Ratings than Ryan Fitzpatrick, and their draft position:

Michael Vick - Round 1, #1 (2001)

Philip Rivers - Round 1, #4 (2004)

Aaron Rodgers - Round 1, #24 (2005)

Matt Cassel - Round 7, #230 (2005)

Ben Roethlisberger - Round 1, #11 (2004)

Tony Romo - UDFA

Drew Brees - Round 2, #32 (2001)

Matt Schaub - Round 3, #90

Kyle Orton - Round 4, #106 (2005)

Jay Cutler - Round 1, #11 (2006)

Joe Flacco - Round 1, #18

David Gerrard - Round 4, #108 (2001)

Matt Ryan - Round 1, #3 (2008)

Matthew Stafford - Round 1, #1 (2009)

John Kitna - UDFA

Payton Manning - Round 1, #1 (1998)

Eli Manning - Round 1, #1 (2004)

Josh Freeman - Round 1, #17 (2009)

--- Ryan Fitzpatrick ---

Sam Bradford - Round 1, #1 (2010)

Carson Palmer - Round 1, #1 (2003)

So yeah, it looks like pretty much all quarterbacks better than Ryan Fitzpatrick were selected extremely high in the NFL draft. Of the 21 highest rated QBs in the NFL this season, 13 were first round picks.

Enjoy!

Matt Stafford has not provided an ample statistical set to be compared, sorry. I STRIKE HIM!

So, with him out of the equation, that leaves 5 drafted in the top 5, 4 from this decade, 1 from the past five years.

You interested in waiting another 5 years to get a quarterback with a RATING better than Fitz's?

QBS who have thrown 20 or more TD passes this year:

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

Phillip Rivers

Matt Cassel

Eli Manning

Aaron Rogers

Matt Ryan

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Kyle Orton

Carson Palmer

Looks like Fitz is in pretty good company.

6 out of these 11 were first round draft picks. 5 weren't.

Who cares where a guy was drafted. If he can produce, does it really matter?

I think I have to agree with what a previous poster brought up...That most of the teams that selected a #1 QB, shored up their problems on the offensive line prior to making the pick, either though a previous draft or free agency. I think that the OL should be priority. I do like the looks of Tyrod Taylor, I haven't seen him mentioned much on the boards, any chance he falls to the 2nd round?

The answer is easy.

Win games.

yeah, I'm hip on the winning thing. however, even a good QB needs help to win. Considering that Fitz did put the ball right in SJ's hands in the EZ and he dropped it, cannot be laid on Fitz as not being able to win. Neither does getting the team into makable FG range only to have the kicker miss it fall on Fitz as not being able to win. Nor does driving in OT only to have the TE fumble fall on Fitz as not being able to win.

If Santonio Holmes had not come down with that miracle catch in the SB, would we say Big Ben can't win the big games?

Not to mention that Fitz is on a bad team. simply saying he needs to win games is over simplifying a little bit.

It's funny, but I am looking at this QB situation from a completely different angle. I seriously doubt that Chan/Gailey would expect any rookie QB (even Luck) to step on the field and make a significant impact in 2011. Fitz is almost certainly going to be the starter next year. That means that the team will have to make a decision on whether they want to invest a high pick on a developmental QB. To me, that decision has more to do with what they think of Brohm than Fitz.