Bills Linebackers

AllDayADay

You guys are all missing the point. Hey I wanted to take Brandon Graham becuase i thought we needed de/lb help so bad. Graham has a pro-ready body. Ive seen him this year get thrown around as well. Maybin came into this league as 2-3 project, Im not trying to defend this guy, but we all knew what we were getting ourselves into when the Bills made this pick. Maybin has a different body type than both those guys. I dont think Jason Taylor made a hug impact as a rookie with that same body type.

Maybin would get picked up by a team with strong leaders and good blitz schemes (Ravens,Jets) and he would make some plays.

And on the AP play its Mckelvin who doesn't contain.

Apparently you've never seen the Ravens or jests LBs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did ? Really ? If so, the (previous) FO was even more idiotic than I thought. If he was a project, he should have been drafted in a latter round. And we are not a team that can afford luxury first round picks. We needed and continue to need players that can contribute either right away or latest by year 2. Maybin has done neither. If his body type is not prototypical, he should have worked at it in the past off-season. Why does he need two off-seasons to do that ?

To your final point, as a high draft pick, he should develop into one of the leaders on the team. If you are so confident that another team will see his value and use him better, I am sure Nix will get a decent draft pick in exchange. Right ? Seeing what little he has accomplished so far, I doubt any GM does that.

Maybin can't "change" is body type, he can only make the most of what he was born with. There are three basic body types, and you can be a combination of the three

1. Endomorph- Wide hips, low center of gravity, slow metabolism easy to gain fat and muscle. Offesive linemen and interior defensive linemen lean toward this body type

2. Mesomorph- Broad shoulders, athletic, easily gain muscle and fat. These guys are the LB's, speed DE's, RB's and just about all skill positions.

3. Ectomorphs- Thin, weak and fragile with high metabolisms who struggle to put on fat and muscle. There are very few ectomorphs in the NFL and those who are are wide receivers or kickers. Ectomorphs tend to be vollyball players, distance runners, hairdressers and interior designers.

Maybin is an ectomorph and there nothing he can do to change that no matter how much he pumps up his lats

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

Edited by Bills99999

This guy was a semi-ectomorph, but this guys could take on blockers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMXKow5ZO0

While I would agree that it isn't the player's fault in which round he gets drafted, and that he shouldn't be blamed for "not playing like a first round pick (Whitner, for example, who is a perfectly good player but not on the level of a first rounder), the thing about Maybin is that even if he had been a free agent signing, he's just not good enough to play in the NFL. And had he been just a free agent signing, he'd have been cut looooong ago.

No argument from me

Maybin is an ectomorph and there nothing he can do to change that no matter how much he pumps up his lats

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

Thanx. That was quite educational. I followed up on the 'body type' term very loosely. I should have said that if he had to put on weight, he should have done what he could this past offseason.

Thanx. That was quite educational. I followed up on the 'body type' term very loosely. I should have said that if he had to put on weight, he should have done what he could this past offseason.

I knew what you meant by "body type" and I understand that players must work with what they have, but Maybin needs to just give up. You can't take on a blocker when you have a 32" waist. He will NEVER have the "core strength" and whoever scouted and drafted this guy in the first round should be fired (wait, they already were...)

I am a classic endomorph. My shoulders are wider than most men, but my ass is wider than two third-generation welfare mommas standing side by side. No matter how much weight I lose or hard I work at it, I will never be a distance runner or a cornerback. I will also never get a job as a Chippendale Dancer. God also cheated me "down below"

It;s a good thing I am so frigging charming or I would still be a virgin

Maybin can't "change" is body type, he can only make the most of what he was born with. There are three basic body types, and you can be a combination of the three

1. Endomorph- Wide hips, low center of gravity, slow metabolism easy to gain fat and muscle. Offesive linemen and interior defensive linemen lean toward this body type

2. Mesomorph- Broad shoulders, athletic, easily gain muscle and fat. These guys are the LB's, speed DE's, RB's and just about all skill positions.

3. Ectomorphs- Thin, weak and fragile with high metabolisms who struggle to put on fat and muscle. There are very few ectomorphs in the NFL and those who are are wide receivers or kickers. Ectomorphs tend to be vollyball players, distance runners, hairdressers and interior designers.

Are you for real?? LOL!! Isn't ectomorph that slimy green ghost from the Ghostbusters movies? :blink:

I knew what you meant by "body type" and I understand that players must work with what they have, but Maybin needs to just give up. You can't take on a blocker when you have a 32" waist. He will NEVER have the "core strength" and whoever scouted and drafted this guy in the first round should be fired (wait, they already were...)

I am a classic endomorph. My shoulders are wider than most men, but my ass is wider than two third-generation welfare mommas standing side by side. No matter how much weight I lose or hard I work at it, I will never be a distance runner or a cornerback. I will also never get a job as a Chippendale Dancer. God also cheated me "down below"

It;s a good thing I am so frigging charming or I would still be a virgin

BRAVO!!!

It's very heartening to see some new posters here like yourself and Steampunk who are really bright, have perspective, and a good sense of humor.

I hope both of you guys post a lot more. We can really use it here.

BRAVO!!!

It's very heartening to see some new posters here like yourself and Steampunk who are really bright, have perspective, and a good sense of humor.

Agree with the good sense of humor part, but how can someone (Bills9999) say for certain the Aaron Maybin is an "Ectomorph" or whatever it's called? Furthermore, what evidence exists to suggest that "ectomorphs" can't be successful rush OLB's in the NFL? Interesting link to the information about human anatomy, but how is this noteworthy information?

Agree with the good sense of humor part, but how can someone (Bills9999) say for certain the Aaron Maybin is an "Ectomorph" or whatever it's called? Furthermore, what evidence exists to suggest that "ectomorphs" can't be successful rush OLB's in the NFL? Interesting link to the information about human anatomy, but how is this noteworthy information?

I didn't use the same body type terminology that 99999 used but I've previously posted many times about Maybin's body type.

Not only is it the narrowness of the hips, it's also the diameter of the bones. There are people about the same height as yourself but may have wrists, elbows or knees joints that are much thicker. That's part of it too. Maybin has the body of the NFL's new breed wide receivers…long, tall, and lanky. The bone structure, more than muscle mass determines body type.

Remember seeing that picture of Maybin standing next to Niners tight end Vernon Davis? Only one of them looks like a football player.

People who've gone to games/training camp remarked how Maybin looked noticeably smaller than Terrell Owens. It's obvious to many that his body type doesn't match the position.

As I posted when he was drafted, the only pass rushers I remember who were slender were Simeon Rice, Jason Taylor, and Jevon Kearse. They were all bigger than Maybin.

It was popular here for some unexplainable reason for people to bring up Dwight Freeney as an example of an "undersized" pass rusher when defending Maybin's size. That basically shows the person doesn't know what they're talking about. Freeney is about 270 packed onto a 6'1" frame. He's not undersized, he's short.

I remember talking to the Bills trainer, Bud Carpenter who used to be an assistant trainer for the Boston Bruins. I remarked to him that Ray Bourque and Phil Housley were "smallish" defensemen because both of them were right around 6 feet tall.

He looked at me, realized that I was a young fool, and replied, "Housley's small. Bourque is big." And he was right. Bourque was a rock.

Sports fans that don't know their stuff (and I'm not directing this at you) get hung up on listed heights and weights. Informed sports fans pay attention to body types.

Not so fast. The guy that supposedly pulled the trigger was fired, or so we've been told. The owner is the same person he's always been. The GM at the time was promoted. The VP of college scouting is the same guy. The scouting department is the same with a few deck chairs slid around, except the National Scout got promoted and a new National Scout was hired. So, the "people that scouted and drafted" a guy that looks like a long-distance runner on 'roids to play DE are almost all still here.

BRAVO!!!

I am not here to entertain you people, I am here to educate you people

Ectomorph plus steroids/HGH = Mesomorph with Ectomorph speed.

Ectomorph plus steroids/HGH = Mesomorph with Ectomorph speed.

It's not that simple. An ectomorphic bone structure cannot support the excess muscle, especially when that person is lacking the CORE and hip struction to take on blockers. I do not care how his Jersey Shore ab-six-pack looks-a chain is only as strong as its weakeast link

Here is a picture od Maybin in drag

http://cheeju.wordpress.com/2007/08/29/cathie-jung-worlds-smallest-waist-woman/

Interesting video.

5 man front, we were looking pass and they executed a run perfectly.

1. Kelsey the OLB was the 5th pass rusher. He blew containment, took a soft wide outside rush and got blown out. Peterson read that block and went wide instead of between the tackles, probably thoight he could easily run over the CB.

2. McKelvin did not read the play at all (his football sense is lacking) and he followed the WR, taking himself out of the play.

3. Poz was playing pass, made the read from ILB, then took a very bad angle to Peterson who is just too fast for that mistake.

4. Whitner and Byrd were way too deep as usual so there was no safety help.

Minnesota executed perfectly and had the talent in Peterson to turn a 6 yard play into a TD.

I thought Kelsey could have helped more if he span back around to the outside of his blocker instead of going inside of him. He took himself out of the play by going back inside, although I'm guessing taking the shortest route to the ball carrier is probably what he did as a DE. Doesn't work so well in space when you're not that fast.

I thought Poz did fine on that play. I guess he could have reacted to run a little quicker, but he maintained his outside leverage and still could have helped if AP just went straight into the line instead of cutting it back. I don't think there's many ilb's that are going to solo tackle AP in that scenario.

I agree with you on McKelvin, something's lacking. Don't know if he's afraid of making a mistake or what.

I thought Whitner took a pretty bad angle considering where Poz was. And Byrd has had some problems taking bad angles sinces he's been here, I guess from playing mainly cb in school?

Some credit has to go to AP, but between McKelvin and Kelsey there was a big enough cutback lane there for him to exploit.

It's not that simple. An ectomorphic bone structure cannot support the excess muscle, especially when that person is lacking the CORE and hip struction to take on blockers. I do not care how his Jersey Shore ab-six-pack looks-a chain is only as strong as its weakeast link

Here is a picture od Maybin in drag

http://cheeju.wordpress.com/2007/08/29/cathie-jung-worlds-smallest-waist-woman/

So...should Maybin maybe try out for kicker? Lindell has had a down season. Is Martin Gramatica an ectomorph?