Bills Linebackers

AllDayADay

When you look at the Bills defense, I think this season has proven that one position in particular is in desperate need of help, Linebackers.

I think it pretty amazing that we look "ok" some of the time.

Think about the Bills LBs compared to any other team and who would start on another team. I would say Poz and Moats, and maybe Coleman and Maybin would be the only ones to make another good defensive team's roster.

Its a desperate need for this team and I know Buddy Nix thinks the same. We better hope the LB draft class is a good one and some good FA are out there. Torbor, Ayodele, Ellson are not going to cut it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone can help? I'd like to imbed the old, silent black and white movie clip of the defenders of a castle pouring cauldrons of hot lead onto the teeming crowds below. It may have been "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" before Charles Laughton from 1939 but I can't find the video possibly Lon Chaney Sr? It just seems to fit in this thread for humor, with no disrespect intended to any poster.

Edited by ConradDobler

When you look at the Bills defense, I think this season has proven that one position in particular is in desperate need of help, Linebackers.

Think about the Bills LBs compared to any other team and who would start on another team. I would say Poz and Moats, and maybe Coleman and Maybin would be the only ones to make another good defensive team's roster.

Its a desperate need for this team and I know Buddy Nix thinks the same. We better hope the LB draft class is a good one and some good FA are out there. Torbor, Ayodele, Ellson are not going to cut it.

Maybin?! are you nuts?! He can barely get on the get on the field with the worst linebackers in the League. Moats has potential and poz would be a backup on most teams. I have been hoping that poz will be elite but he is way too inconsistant, doesn't hit hard and makes his tackles way down the field.

Batten and Davis going down did not help. Agreed that Ellison is not a 3 - 4 backer. Moats looks like a player. If Batten had gotten on the field, he would have been good too. Andra Davis is a stud, on the wrong side of his career, but a stud. LB is not a good position to have a lot of injuries if you run a 3 - 4 . OLB will be addressed in the draft I am sure. Doesn't really matter, as there probably won't be a season next year anyway.

Maybin?! are you nuts?! He can barely get on the get on the field with the worst linebackers in the League. Moats has potential and poz would be a backup on most teams. I have been hoping that poz will be elite but he is way too inconsistant, doesn't hit hard and makes his tackles way down the field.

Why does everybody keep crapping on Maybin?

Just because we wasted a first pick on him, he makes too much money and he does not belong in the NFL does not mean his mother does not love him

Why does everybody keep crapping on Maybin?

Just because we wasted a first pick on him, he makes too much money and he does not belong in the NFL does not mean his mother does not love him

I have to admit I enjoyed this post. Good one! :thumbsup:

Moats would start on another team? Which one? At best he is ST and back up. He shows some potential though.

Poz is legit. Davis can pay the run. Torbor is a good backup. Coleman is a ST/ backup like Moats.

Maybin will be lucky to even make the Bills next season. Ellison, Ayodele and Kelsey need to all go.

OK... Linebackers are a glaring weakness. However, they are not the biggest single need on defense. If you are running a 3-4 and want one that can't be moved on easily, you MUST have a big fat nasty NT. The Bills don't have one. It's not a knock on Kyle williams... OK he's nasty, but at NT 1 out of three is bad (not big & fat enough). Get a big fat nasty NT and slide Williams over to DE... then he'll be be big and nasty... and you don't want the fat at DE.

OK... Linebackers are a glaring weakness. However, they are not the biggest single need on defense. If you are running a 3-4 and want one that can't be moved on easily, you MUST have a big fat nasty NT. The Bills don't have one. It's not a knock on Kyle williams... OK he's nasty, but at NT 1 out of three is bad (not big & fat enough). Get a big fat nasty NT and slide Williams over to DE... then he'll be be big and nasty... and you don't want the fat at DE.

Isn't that what Troup was drafted for? Maybe next year he will grow into the position.

Draft stud passrushing DE (Bowers,Quinn)and MLB, start Troup, switch to 4-3 problem solved. 3-4 is over rated as players make the difference not schemes and this team is more suited for 4-3. Our best defensive player is better suited as an under DT. Troup could be the space eater in a 4-3 with Stroud and Edwards spelling them.

Starting lineup DL: Bowers or Quinn, Williams, Troup,(Kelsay/Carrington/Johnson)

LB: Poz/MLB/Torbor or FA upgrade

I think the most over-looked LB need on this team is ILB. I like Poz, but they need another player to put next to him on the inside. Basically Andre Davis' replacement. I do think they need a player at OLB who can play the run and rush the passer - a blue chip player - but I think after getting one of those, we'd be OK.

Moats looks like he's worthy of more playing time. Battan looked good before he got hurt and is very athletic. Kelsey is Kelsey. Maybin deserves another offseason and training camp at least. Coleman has potential and should get another offseason.

On the inside however, we have Poz and Davis. We could use 2 or 3 new players at ILB depending on Davis' availability for next year. At the very least, if Davis goes down again next year, there should be a player who can actually fill his role come in for him instead of another Keith Ellison sighting or Ayodele.

Draft stud passrushing DE (Bowers,Quinn)and MLB, start Troup, switch to 4-3 problem solved. 3-4 is over rated as players make the difference not schemes and this team is more suited for 4-3. Our best defensive player is better suited as an under DT. Troup could be the space eater in a 4-3 with Stroud and Edwards spelling them.

Starting lineup DL: Bowers or Quinn, Williams, Troup,(Kelsay/Carrington/Johnson)

LB: Poz/MLB/Torbor or FA upgrade

I don't have a problem with the schemes they run. 3-4 or 4-3 is fine. I think the real issue is they should be playing a two-gap defense instead of the one-gap we played under Jauran. I actually think it'll help the team out in the future to be able to play both 3-4 and 4-3. I like being able to give teams the 3-4 under look (one-gap) at times while also being able to go with a 4-3 and 3-4 two-gap look.

Going to a 4-3 doesn't hide the fact that our LBs are still crap for the most part and need to be upgraded.