Spiller's Future in Buffalo

That's not how I remember it. Granted, he really blossomed in his 2nd & 3rd year, but he rushed for 880 yrds, was a starter Game 1 vs. Vikings and relied on and delivered huge as the season wore on and into the playoffs vs. Houston & Cinci his first year.

We knew we had 'the guy' for the long haul after his rookie season.

Well i wouldnt call 58 yards a game and only 2 TDs in your rookie season that outstanding. Those are his numbers. You might remember it differently but he didn't have the numbers to say he had a good year.

He sure did blossom after that though.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Spiller and think he will learn how to be a very good NFL RB. You can't help but wonder though. You see a guy like James Starks yesterday. The UB kid was a 6th round pick by Green Bay (a horrible running football team),,,and he goes for 18 carries 73 yards after not having touched a football in a real game for 23 months. I mean are RB's really a dime a dozen in the NFL? Maybe.. i dunno.

Look at every single running back drafted AFTER Spiller in the first and second rounds. All of them are performing better.

The juice had a bad offensive line his first year. The Electric Company and even the receivers were selected for their ability to run block by Saban (look at JD Hill's comments on being recruited.) Rauch didn't know what to do with him.

Please explain what a first rounder should play like? Instant pro bowler? How many first rounders make the pro bowl in their rookie years?

PTR

A first round running back should be able to step in and play a hell of a lot more than Spiller does.

I don't think it is Spillers fault. He is a square peg being fit into a round hole.

The Bills have no use for a quick little runningback that needs to get to the outside (or have a gaping hole opened up) to be effective. This offense can provide neither.

My only hope for him as a Bill is that Nix gets the offensive line and TE in a few years that can do at least one of these things, if not both. If that happens, and Spiller isn't damaged goods by then, he could be worth the draft pick they used for him.

Shawn Alexander, Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson was drafted first round and there was NO WAY he was gonna supplant Priest Holmes and take over the starting RB position. Plus he was taken in the late first round, rather than a lottery pick. Completely different scenerio. Fred Jackson is a nice RB but he's nowhere near the RB that Holmes was.

This is an excuse for OJ but not for Spiller?

I hope spiller pans out, god our 1st round drafting sucks.

uh...oj averaged about 25 yards on punt returns and was the primary running back with 185 or so carries. This with an appalling front line. cj ia definitely not oj..even in his rookie year.

uh...oj averaged about 25 yards on punt returns and was the primary running back with 185 or so carries. This with an appalling front line. cj ia definitely not oj..even in his rookie year.

hopefully he won't be OJ after he retires. :oops:

Edited by DreReed83

Twobillsdrive: running 1st round picks out of town since 2001.

1st Round Picks: running themselves out of the NFL since 2001.

Man up and blame C.J. for being a wasted pick, not Bills fans or the offensive line or the coaches. Future superstars FORCE their way onto the field with eye-popping performances.

So far in this thread we've heard how he'd be great if he could learn to run between the tackles or learn how to have better ball-carrier vision or learn how to pass block. Quit the excuses and show me on the field.

Please explain what a first rounder should play like? Instant pro bowler? How many first rounders make the pro bowl in their rookie years?

PTR

You certainly like to make posts that don't actually say anything.

Are you trying to say that Spiller's production is on par historically with other running backs drafted in the first round?

Is it your opinion that Spiller is a good NFL running back? Do you think it was a good pick? Everyone already knows the offensive line is not good.

We will appreciate CJ more in 2 years when we are in the playoff picture and have a gamebreaker people fear and plan to contain...a guy that moves all over the field and electrifies our fans....

It will be great when we have that guy..but what does that have to do with CJ Spiller?

Reggie Bush has more than 30 touchdowns in this league. I don't think it's a given Spiller will have as successful a career as Reggie Bush.

Well, they are having similar rookie seasons.

You certainly like to make posts that don't actually say anything.

Are you trying to say that Spiller's production is on par historically with other running backs drafted in the first round?

Is it your opinion that Spiller is a good NFL running back? Do you think it was a good pick? Everyone already knows the offensive line is not good.

Well, if this season has proved anything, the offensive line is pretty close to good. It is the depth that is just terrible, and maybe right tackle. But the starting line as a whole has gradually improved each week.

Spiller obviously has to get used to the nfl speed. He hasn't gotten a lot of chances because we started out the year with two pretty good vets, and now just one vet. Then he got injured.... so I don't his rookie season is looking pretty average as far as first round RBs are concerned considering he had to play behind two starters and nurse an injury. Ryan Mathews and Javid Best aren't looking any better. They seem more injury prone and not as effective. Spiller would have a lot better numbers than Best had spiller not had to compete with Lynch and Jackson.

So if you are saying it is a wasted pick, that is too early to tell. But he isn't having the best or worst rookie season as far as rookie RBs go. Ironically, the best rookie RB is Foster who was on no one's radar until preseason. So can't really fault the bills for that unless you wanted to fault every other team except the texans.

Spiller can obviously bring production (he has in games already) which is not at all like former picks like maybin, mcgargo, etc. This guy can actually contribute. I say if he turns into a Reggie bush type player, he is more than worth keeping around. But that is still yet to be seen. But since he is not going to be an every down back, I think that will make his career last longer and he will last longer than the average back. So if he turns out to be good, we will have a good weapon for awhile.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa