The non-challange by Gailey?

WOW. You guys really blaming the refs for this loss now?

Lots of Minnesota holding early in the game that was let go.

The nonfumble by Minnesota was almost identical to the fumble by the Bills FB. They get the call and we get a TD called back.

I think they made the correct call on the TD pass that was a simultaneous catch.

The phantom holding call on Kyle Williams? He was being tackled on the play!

How about a roughing penalty for blocking the punter? Isn't he fair game if he is covering a kick?

How about Jared Allen hitting Fitz in the head twice? Whitner got called for a much softer infraction.

Do I blame the ref for the loss? No way.

Do I think they called and uneven game? Yes.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of Minnesota holding early in the game that was let go.

The nonfumble by Minnesota was almost identical to the fumble by the Bills FB. They get the call and we get a TD called back.

I think they made the correct call on the TD pass that was a simultaneous catch.

The phantom holding call on Kyle Williams? He was being tackled on the play!

How about a roughing penalty for blocking the punter? Isn't he fair game if he is covering a kick?

How about Jared Allen hitting Fitz in the head twice? Whitner got called for a much softer infraction.

Do I blame the ref for the loss? No way.

Do I think they called and uneven game? Yes.

this plus the pass interference non call where Evans got hit before the ball got to him which forced a punt. The one where they called McKelvin, Berrian ran into him with his shoulder and then McKelvin grabbed back. That should have been a double foul or no foul. Sidney Rice clearly interfered with McKelvin on the double catch touchdown.

I do have to ask, in a double-catch situation, if either player is down isn't the play dead at that spot? I only ask because McKelvin was down with double possession at the 1.

this plus the pass interference non call where Evans got hit before the ball got to him which forced a punt. The one where they called McKelvin, Berrian ran into him with his shoulder and then McKelvin grabbed back. That should have been a double foul or no foul. Sidney Rice clearly interfered with McKelvin on the double catch touchdown.

I do have to ask, in a double-catch situation, if either player is down isn't the play dead at that spot? I only ask because McKelvin was down with double possession at the 1.

On the simulataneous catch they could not call offensive pass interference because penalties are not part of the review process. Recall the interception by Corner in the end zone versus Pittsburgh. There was offensive pass interference on that play too.

On today's play I thought they made the right call. Both of them had it and the offensive player came down inside the pylon. Since the ball is awarded to the offense it was ruled a TD. I wish Whitner would have blown everybody up and knock the ball loose, he tried for the ball too.

Have you read a copy of the rule book?

I watch a lot of baseball and there were several games last year where it was brought up that everyone will say "tie goes to the runner" and it was proven that it does not exist. So, yes, having trusted the evidence presented to me on those telecasts where they referenced the specific areas of the rule book proving this, I feel confident making that statement. If you read my post I note that I don't know if the same is true in the NFL but I suspect it is.

Have you heard the term "old wives tale"? Or "urban legend"?

Tie goes to runner a myth

Edited by FightClub

I watch a lot of baseball and there were several games last year where it was brought up that everyone will say "tie goes to the runner" and it was proven that it does not exist. So, yes, having trusted the evidence presented to me on those telecasts where they referenced the specific areas of the rule book proving this, I feel confident making that statement. If you read my post I note that I don't know if the same is true in the NFL but I suspect it is.

Have you heard the term "old wives tale"? Or "urban legend"?

Tie goes to runner a myth

You know what they say about people who make assumptions.

Jerry, in yesterday's Cardinals-Seahawks game, a controversial play occurred when receiver Larry Fitzgerald and linebacker Julian Peterson each grabbed a pass at the same time. When Fitzgerald's knee hit the ground, both players appeared to have possession of the ball. Peterson wrestled the ball away from Fitzgerald about a second later and possession was awarded to the Seahawks. Does the rulebook say that in this situation, a tie goes to the receiver, or is this strictly an official's judgment as to who gets possession? --Dan Agnell, Sumerduck, Va.

I'd like to quote the rule for you regarding "Simultaneous Catch." "If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opposing players who both retain possession, the ball belongs to the passing team. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and retains control, regardless of subsequent joined control of an opponent. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-061212askjerrymarkbreit,0,67115.story

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I don't hate referees, I just feel better when they're not around.

They've impacted several games for us this year. Yesterday was no exception. Would we still have lost? Sure, but they turned it into a one-sided clown show. McKelvin's fumble recovery....for a Touchdown, just didn't happen, apparently.

The Bills suck, so nothing makes a difference. They call these games like those guys in Remember the Titans. The Bills lost two more starter on defense last week....who cares? They're the Bills, nobody cares. We're a freaking novelty to this league. When we play close games, it's interesting....but if we won any of those close games it would be an embarrassment to any of those teams.

We had 60% of our OL leave the field yesterday, and the announcers were busy showing black and white shots of Butty Ryan. I thought we were gonna end up with McCargo playing center. The reason Fitz dropped that snap at the one is it's the first or second time he's taken a snap from whomever was snapping at the moment.

I didn't like the touchdown call because I don't think the receiver's second foot actually came down on the ground. I think it landed on McKelvin. On our fullback's fumble, I thought the ball was touching him while his legs were out of bounds, which should've been ruled a dead ball.

Jared Allen had free reign out there. I don't know why we didn't keep in an extra guy to block him. But he did jack Fitzpatrick a number of times. no call.

My favorite though was the call on our guy for unnecessary roughness by blocking the punter. As if there is a rule that you're not allowed to block the punter 20 yards downfield. That was absurd.

We're a bunch of clowns, and we are a novelty. Nobody takes us seriously. Especially the officials, including that prissy dope who called the game yesterday.

The Vikings ran a screen play to the sideline yesterday wherein the screener CLEARLY bumped the pass defender after the ball was in mid-air, and bumped him significantly so (it was McKelvin and right smack dab in the middle of his first half implosion). Am I crazy, or is that also OPI??

WOW. You guys really blaming the refs for this loss now?

Well...Yes...The calls were very bad, in favor of the Vikings...and here is the real kicker:

The main referee for the game was actually Leslie Frazier's twin brother- Laverne.

SO it all stands to reason. Laverne is trying to help his brother keep the head coaching job for 2011!

Edited by BuffaloWest

The Bills deserved to lose today, they played horribly.

Having said that, the officials should be fined & suspended or fired for the absolutely sh!!tty non-calls against the Vikings.

Whitner gets penalized for a late hit on Jackson, on what was a borderline call.

Jared Allen delivers an elbow to the back of Fitzpatrick's head after Fitz is down on the ground, and no flag whatsoever!!!Stevie Johnson makes a big catch over the middle runs down the sidelines for a first down, steps out of bounds and gets clocked by the Vikings safety, AFTER HE WAS OUT OF BOUNDS, and NO FLAG!!!

No these non-calls did not decide the game, but there is no excuse for missing them either.

I saw that, what a dirty player that Allen is. Funny that niether one of the announcers even commented on that late hit.

Although the were all over every other one. I hope that Allen gets his, he may have been a beast yesterday, but I think his ship has sailed. And another thing, were there not two separate horse collar tackles by Minnesota that went uncalled, or were my eyes decieving me?

Edited by Cookiemonster

I saw that, what a dirty player that Allen is. Funny that niether one of the announcers even commented on that late hit.

Although the were all over every other one. I hope that Allen gets his, he may have been a beast yesterday, but I think his ship has sailed. And another thing, were there not two separate horse collar tackles by Minnesota that went uncalled, or were my eyes decieving me?

I remember seeing one on Freddy if my memory serves, but he only grabbed it for a second so I'm not sure on the rule.

Yep. On one of them the announcers started jawing about how great of a tackle it was, then when they showed the replay and you see the guy's hand inside the neckline of the shoulder pads, they say it was "almost" a horsecollar.

In regards to the fumble challenge the OP is referring to, in those spots you can still challenge the play even though the whistle blew. They won't award you the TD McKelvin would have had, but since there was clear recovery Buffalo could be awarded the ball at the spot where McKelvin picked it up. It didn't seem like the whistle blew until after McKelvin scooped it.

In regards to the refs screwing the Bills, you guys sound like a bunch of jilted lovers playing the same broken record.

The TD call was correct, but should have been offensive pass interference. Looked like Rice grabbed McKelvin's shoulder pad in order to position himself for the catch...

That was so apparent. And the network continued to show the catch, but didn't show how Rice got into position. Oh well, . . .

I would like to point out that there as a similar play when Byrd took the ball away from Mendenhall (sp) and was going to go the endzone untouched.... they blow the whistle, replay, we get the ball, but lose out on the TD we should have had.

That play yesterday....I always joke about the "football move." After that play, I believe I know what a football move is...then they call it an incomplete pass...we don't get the TD.

The officiating is atrocious. I hate to sound like a Steelers fan, but I do not remember it ever being as bad as it has this year.

The bad part is that the officials are becoming too much a part of the game.

I blame the refs for helping the Vikes early. Then the injuries hit and it was all over. You want a blatant non-call? Try Steve Johnson's late catch where he got blasted 5 yards out of bounds. No flippin' call. The refs din't cost us the game but they put us in a hole.

PTR

+1

One of the oddest NFL games ever -- it was like backyard football. The strangest calls and non-calls by the refs and the ball was flying around like it was greased. hard to get crazy about it -- it was like watching a friggin blooper reel.

Agree 100% but the idiot refs blew the whistle! The guy caught it, turned around which is a foot ball move and then fumbled. That makes the game 28-14 and is a 10 point swing actually as the Vikings went and scored a FG on that drive. The Vikes 1st TD was also a blatant offensive interference which they did not call but then called McKelvin for an incidental contact as defensive pass interference. There were a lot of points "given" to the Vikings today as at least 17-20. I do agree the way the Bills looked today they would lose but certainly a more competitive game that gave one team an enormous advantage early

It really pissed me off that Chan didn't challenge that call. At least it would have been Buffalo's ball. WTF was he saving his timeouts for? If I recall correctly, he still had 3 to use at that point. And whatever happened to letting the play happen before blowing the whistle? Clearly a football move and the ball was jacked loose by a great hit. WTF?

I blame the refs for helping the Vikes early. Then the injuries hit and it was all over. You want a blatant non-call? Try Steve Johnson's late catch where he got blasted 5 yards out of bounds. No flippin' call. The refs din't cost us the game but they put us in a hole.

PTR

I was livid about that one, Promo. He was hit, HARD, when he was almost past the white sideline stripe. WTF!!!

The call was not correct. You have to complete the catch in the field of play. Just like that interception weeks ago that did not count because our guy stepped on a foot or Calvin Johnson's play in the end zone that was called back. Even if I agree that Rice gets the "catch" because tie goes to offense (not sure that's actually a written rule - sort of like tie goes to the runner in baseball, there's actually no such thing in the rule book), it doesn't matter. When Rice "completes" his catch he's rolling around out of bounds. No catch.

I disagree.

This is still bugging me. Was Gailey asked this question after the game? Has it been confirmed that he could not challenge this play or just decided not to challenge it?

No confirmation that I know of. I was pissed about it, too.

Edited by BuffalOhio

The Bills deserved to lose today, they played horribly.

Having said that, the officials should be fined & suspended or fired for the absolutely sh!!tty non-calls against the Vikings.

Whitner gets penalized for a late hit on Jackson, on what was a borderline call.

Jared Allen delivers an elbow to the back of Fitzpatrick's head after Fitz is down on the ground, and no flag whatsoever!!!

Stevie Johnson makes a big catch over the middle runs down the sidelines for a first down, steps out of bounds and gets clocked by the Vikings safety, AFTER HE WAS OUT OF BOUNDS, and NO FLAG!!!

No these non-calls did not decide the game, but there is no excuse for missing them either.

+1