Hockey Acquisition and effect on Bills Football

jumbalaya

I have not seen anything on this posted so forgive if it already here. A lot has been speculated about Pegula and the Sabres and whether he could also swallow the Bills. This is allowed under NFL rules as the two teams are in the same market. However Rogers Communications is looking to buy the Maple Leafs, Raptors and a soccer team for $1B. Does this mean they have less or more pressure to bring the NFL to Toronto? Do they have enough money to spend another $B on the Bills. They could bring them to Toronto and qualify under the same market, would leaving them in Buffalo also qualify?

Personally I think it is positive as Rogers attention & $$ will be elsewhere for a couple of years.

Everything you read about Pegula regarding the Bills goes like this (this one from Buffalo Rumblings):

A report from Bucky Gleason at The Buffalo News, citing sources close to prospective Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula, indicates that Pegula may have future interest in buying the Buffalo Bills.

So nothing from Pegula himself, just "sources" that a Buffalo writer has that he "may" be a Bills fan.

What we do know is that Pegula is a huge hockey fan. A self described "rink rat". For example he just donated 88 million to a college to start a division 1 hockey program. We also know that his net worth is about 3 billion.

Would he invest 1/3 of his net worth buying a team in a sport he is more or less a casual fan of when he just purchased a team in a sport that he is a huge fan of? Plus the team needing a new stadium in a few years? I don't know this man (wish I did, the view from the owners box at HSBC arena is very nice :) ) But my guess, which is based on just as much fact as everything else I have seen so far, is that its a long shot.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I had no idea we had this wealthy "sports ally". Maybe he wouldnt be willing to buy the Bills outright, but I feel a lot better that a group with local interests is indeed possible.

As far as Rogers goes, I dont think they can/will be stopped just because they are buying other teams in Toronto.

Maybe Rogers is turning its attention to the Loafs and Raptors because it finally realizes that without a new stadium (which they are unlikely to get) they don't have a chance in hell of bringing an NFL team to Toronto full time.

One can only hope.

Maybe Rogers is turning its attention to the Loafs and Raptors because it finally realizes that without a new stadium (which they are unlikely to get) they don't have a chance in hell of bringing an NFL team to Toronto full time.

One can only hope.

Exactly right, and they will not get a new stadium because the ratepayers (including this one), who ended up financing most of the Rogers Centre, won't be taken again.

I have not seen anything on this posted so forgive if it already here. A lot has been speculated about Pegula and the Sabres and whether he could also swallow the Bills. This is allowed under NFL rules as the two teams are in the same market. However Rogers Communications is looking to buy the Maple Leafs, Raptors and a soccer team for $1B. Does this mean they have less or more pressure to bring the NFL to Toronto? Do they have enough money to spend another $B on the Bills. They could bring them to Toronto and qualify under the same market, would leaving them in Buffalo also qualify?

Personally I think it is positive as Rogers attention & $$ will be elsewhere for a couple of years.

Huh?

Doesn't the NFL have a rule against corporate ownership?

Yes.