Pro Football Focus: Kyle Williams deserves Defensive Player of the Yea

Big Turk

That aint what I posted. He's had the best season of any Bills defensive player. So what? The Bills are the worst team (by a long shot) against the run in the NFL. They give up over 165 yds. per game... and Williams is right there in the middle... Nose Tackle, the single most important position for a 3-4 defense. Everything feeds off that position.

Geaorge Wilson and Fred Jackson were the Bills defensive and offensive mvps for the Bills last year. Ya know what, neither was starting on opening day. That doesn't mean Williams, Wilson and Jackson aren't good NFL players... but, let's keep it real. They'd only be role players on the top seven or eight teams in the league.

So the fact that Williams is receiving all pro buzz around the league means nothing? Kyle Williams is a top 5 tackle in the NFL.

News: Williams (ankle) had 10 total tackles and two sacks in Sunday's overtime loss to Pittsburgh.

Spin: The nose tackle absolutely abused Steelers LG Chris Kemoeatu all day. Williams now has 60 total tackles and five sacks on the season, very fine numbers for an interior lineman. Anyone who's watched his excellent play on a poor Buffalo defense this season knows he's playing at a Pro Bowl level, and at this stage it'd be a shame if he didn't make the league's All-Star contest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9720

5. As I said this past week when asked to rank the defensive tackles in the NFL, the Buffalo Bills' Kyle Williams is simply a great player. He was utterly dominant against the Pittsburgh Steelers and completely owned their weak offensive line, namely LG Chris Kemoeatu. Williams has great power and a very good first step. But his best assets might be his leverage and hustle, which are both just outstanding. He can excel at nose or end in a 3-4 or at either spot on the inside of an even front. If you don't yet know about Williams, it is time you learn.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5863622

Who are the best "space-eaters" in the NFL? Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson names his top five.

4. Kyle Williams, Bills: A terror versus the run, Kyle Williams is also a very good player against the pass. He's having an amazing season on a terrible football team. Get to know this player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&page=hotread11/Haloti%20Ngata

Edited by Fingon

That aint what I posted. He's had the best season of any Bills defensive player. So what? The Bills are the worst team (by a long shot) against the run in the NFL. They give up over 165 yds. per game... and Williams is right there in the middle... Nose Tackle, the single most important position for a 3-4 defense. Everything feeds off that position.

Geaorge Wilson and Fred Jackson were the Bills defensive and offensive mvps for the Bills last year. Ya know what, neither was starting on opening day. That doesn't mean Williams, Wilson and Jackson aren't good NFL players... but, let's keep it real. They'd only be role players on the top seven or eight teams in the league.

The award is for Defensive player of the year, not Defense of the year. He's having a great season by any DT standard. All he does is make plays in the backfield all game long. Sure he doesn't do it every single down that is played, but nobody does. As a team, yes this defense is not good. As a player, Williams is having a stellar season.

The award is for Defensive player of the year, not Defense of the year. He's having a great season by any DT standard. All he does is make plays in the backfield all game long. Sure he doesn't do it every single down that is played, but nobody does. As a team, yes this defense is not good. As a player, Williams is having a stellar season.

Though I have to say, the defense as a whole is showing a ton more signs of life than they were earlier in the season. Gave up 14 points against an improved Detroit offense...absolutely shut down Cincy in the second half, despite a horrific first half...only 19 points against the Steelers, including a lengthy overtime.

Though I have to say, the defense as a whole is showing a ton more signs of life than they were earlier in the season. Gave up 14 points against an improved Detroit offense...absolutely shut down Cincy in the second half, despite a horrific first half...only 19 points against the Steelers, including a lengthy overtime.

As a whole, this seems to be a second half team. Both the Defense and Offense seems to rally well after halftime. Just need to see that fire in the first half!

Are you talking just to talk?

Freddie Jackson would easily start for Green Bay, Chicago, Indy, New England, NY Jets, San Diego, Kansas City, or Tampa Bay. Those are just off the top of my head, without thinking too hard, and all are pretty good teams.

Maybe not the Jets, but IMO, he's better than both Greene and LT (at this point in his career).

Edited by Lv-Bills

I think most folks recognize how well Kyle Williams has played this year. That said, I have to question someone who thinks he should be defensive player of the year. he may be dominating his man, but he is not dominating the game. if he was, the Bills defense would have many more 3 and outs.

I am not trying to diss KW, but you can't be the defensive player of the year if you can't lead your defense to being one of the best.

I think most folks recognize how well Kyle Williams has played this year. That said, I have to question someone who thinks he should be defensive player of the year. he may be dominating his man, but he is not dominating the game. if he was, the Bills defense would have many more 3 and outs.

I am not trying to diss KW, but you can't be the defensive player of the year if you can't lead your defense to being one of the best.

Thank you. I agree.

I can think of 4 Nose tackles in Bills recent history. Yes, Williams is better than Jeff Wright, but not as dominant as Smerlas, Ted Washington, or Pat Williams.

The biggest reason many of the fans are getting giddy over Kyle is because the Bills suck and it's the only positive news on a Bills player, and thus, giving some attention to BUFFALO on the national level.

The Bills are 2-9. They're #32 against the rush. That don't happen against a dominant NT. Even when the Pats lost all their DBs and LBs, they weren't even close to as bad as the Bills D, because they had a dominant NT in Wilfork. Take Wilfork away from the Pats and their D goes down hill fast. Take Kyle Williams out of the Bills lineup, and what? The Bills are still worst against the run.

What folks don't realize is, the last few teams that the Bills played gave some kudos to KW. But, earlier, teams like GB, KC, NYJ weren't lamenting how great KW was, they were laughing their asses off cuz how easy it was to move the football on the Bills.

KW is a very good player. He ain't an NT. He's a 4-3 DT... he's best suited to play in a D like Philly, Indy, NYG. Who knows... he might even be DE in a 3-4. If you aint got a big fat mountain that takes up space and can't be moved, you ain't got an NT. (I know, the Jay Ratliff crowd is going to tell me otherwise).

I don't mean to be a jerk, but is this guy on the juice or something? I know he's been a very active and aggressive player up until now, but it just seems like his game has really jumped to a new level this season.

Defensive player of the year? WTF??? :doh:

So I guy does good and he's on roids? STFU! and yes he should be in talks about Defensive player of the year.

That we have very little else on defense makes his performance even more impressive. They plan for him and he still disupts offenses. If I recall correctly, he had 2 sacks in three plays that caused a three and out. So he needs to do that more often to be defensive player of the year? I guarantee you that no other player in the league does that.

That we have very little else on defense makes his performance even more impressive. They plan for him and he still disupts offenses. If I recall correctly, he had 2 sacks in three plays that caused a three and out. So he needs to do that more often to be defensive player of the year? I guarantee you that no other player in the league does that.

Try the name Clay Matthews. That guy has does it all the time this year when he's been on the field and he did it against Buffalo.

Try the name Clay Matthews. That guy has does it all the time this year when he's been on the field and he did it against Buffalo.

so far this year, Clay Matthews or Troy Polamalu should considered for defensive player of the year before KW.

It's not that the Bills haven't tried to improve the DL - but have they seen any return on the money spent with Maybin-bust and McCargo-bust so far?

Should KW and Stevie be considered for the Pro Bowl? Maybe - if Stevie made that catch vs. stealers or either one shows more in the remaining games before the voting starts. The thing about Williams is he lasted to the 5th rd - because he is not that big of a player, but he plays really big.