Our O-line

bobobonators

Props to our O-line...we're about 3 (less) sacks away from being within the top 10 for least sacks allowed in the NFL.

With the continued progression of our O-line, especially Demetrius Bell (did I hear today that Bell hasn't given up a sack this season yet?), could we possibly ignore the O-line in the first 3 rounds of the draft next year? Going into this season I surely though that OL was going to be a major need, but the o-line play the last 7 weeks or so has been absolutely solid.

I'm starting to feel that drafting a position like TE or even WR within the first 3 rounds may be more pressing at this point (obviously I'd still say DL/LB is by far the most immediate position of need). Maybe we can continue adding depth to the 0-line from the 4th round onward.

Thoughts?

I am very satisfied with all of them, so far.

Bell appears to have blossomed, Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood are studs, and Wrotto/ GT guy are doing an excellent job.

What I think we need to keep in mind, though, is the formations and strategies we have been implementing.

4 and 5 wide receivers takes alot of the options a defense has for crowding the line of scrimmage and blitzing. We may not be any more talented that the Mauron years, but this approach on offense is so much smarter. It forces defenses to adapt to the volume of receivers. Sure, they can blitz, but they are usually only rushing 5-6 guys. With our TE's staying in to block, that's 1-on-1 pass coverage.

So, before trumpeting how good our offensive line suddenly is, I think proper credit should go to the offensive coaches for coming up with our current attack and strategies.

They need to lock down the RT if Love or Carimi falls to the second that might be a good pick, otherwise you can pick up a RT in the 4th after you take 2LBs and a DE with the first 3 picks.

Is Carimi projected to be a RT in the NFL? I thought I saw him lined up at LT this past weekend for Wisc.

Is Carimi projected to be a RT in the NFL? I thought I saw him lined up at LT this past weekend for Wisc.

Carimi's a LT. He may begin his NFL career at RT, but he'll be an All-Pro LT w/in 3 years.

Why folks keep saying RT is puzzling - they probably read something by a sports columnist saying he projects better at the RT position. Don't believe it.

Gabe Carimi is the next top offensive lineman that Wisconsin will produce. Carimi is a massive and powerful offensive tackle that excels in run blocking. He has started a total of 36 games at left tackle, experience that will help with his adjustment in the NFL. Carimi utilizes his size to drive back defenders and open holes for the running back. He shows the ability to get to the 2nd level and make a block on pursuing linebackers. Carimi has very long arms and quick feet both of which are assets when pass protecting. Carimi is able to use a nice drop step and set against rushing defensive linemen. He has the size and strength to anchor against the bull rush, and the quick feet to hold off the smaller faster defensive ends.

2011 NFL Draft Watch #16: Gabe Carimi

2007: Earned first letter ... started at left tackle in all 13 games, taking over the position from 2006 Outland Trophy winner and No. 3 overall NFL Draft choice Joe Thomas ...fasted for 24 hours prior to Iowa game on Sept. 22 in observance of Yom Kippur

2008: Earned second letter ... played in 10 games and started all 10 ... started his 23rd career game against Florida State in the Champs Sports Bowl ... returned to the starting lineup at Michigan State on Nov. 1 after missing games vs. Penn State, at Iowa and vs. Illinois due to injury ... had started 18-straight games at left tackle before sustaining a knee injury in the first quarter against Ohio State on Oct. 4

2009: Earned third letter ... started all 13 games at left tackle as offense led the Big Ten in scoring (31.8 ppg) and total offense (416.9 ypg)

2010: Has started all 11 games at left tackle... named UW's co-offensive player of the game at Michigan on Nov. 20 ... along with rest of starting offensive line and Bill Nagy, named UW's co-offensive player of the week for the Minnesota game

Don't believe anyone who says he'll be there for us in round 2, either. Carimi will go in the first half of round one...

11/23/2010 - The finalists for several college football awards were announced Monday. The Outland Trophy finalists for top interior lineman are Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi, Florida State guard Rodney Hudson and Colorado tackle Nate Solder. - AP Sports

link

Edited by The Senator

I usually agree with all your post, but not this one! If u watch the past that fitz throws to steve in ot, the one he dropped, count how long fitz had! I watch the games close and after 3 seconds I always scream, LET IT GO! So the oline is due more credit than you're giving them!

Sorry, but the bolded part isn't descriptive enough to know what play you're referencing.. IF you mean THE DROP, Fitz took a seven step drop -which allows another second, but BLITZ-burg was charging in with 6 pass rushers. The protection held and he threw his best pass of the day.

I agree Fitz is making the OL look more experieneced, but the gameplan today was to pass much more because of the Stiller D. How great is it to know the Bills can gameplan any damn way they want against any opponent because they have the tools to execute?

Draft & FA to the D, please..

Props to our O-line...we're about 3 (less) sacks away from being within the top 10 for least sacks allowed in the NFL.

With the continued progression of our O-line, especially Demetrius Bell (did I hear today that Bell hasn't given up a sack this season yet?), could we possibly ignore the O-line in the first 3 rounds of the draft next year? Going into this season I surely though that OL was going to be a major need, but the o-line play the last 7 weeks or so has been absolutely solid.

I'm starting to feel that drafting a position like TE or even WR within the first 3 rounds may be more pressing at this point (obviously I'd still say DL/LB is by far the most immediate position of need). Maybe we can continue adding depth to the 0-line from the 4th round onward.

Thoughts?

Come on they have the worst O-line in the NFL!!! :rolleyes:

Regardless of play. We need to draft O-Linemen, or seriously look to see who's available via FA this offseason. We need depth at all positions, most notibly LT and RT. We need to do a better job of Running the ball, especially come Nov and Dec.

Regardless of play. We need to draft O-Linemen, or seriously look to see who's available via FA this offseason. We need depth at all positions, most notibly LT and RT. We need to do a better job of Running the ball, especially come Nov and Dec.

Good post. The line is improving. The combination of Fitz and experience playing together have helped.

We still need help at tackle, especially RT.

One factor to the turnaround on the offensive line is their health throughout the season. They are beginning to gel as a unit, and that cannot be understated! I think it is rather obvious that the Bills need defensive playmakers and I am longing for the days where the "D" is #1 overall. Imagine a draft where we add a Da'Quan Bowers at RDE and follow that up with a OLB like Casey Matthews, Von Miller or Akeem Ayers! Instant impact that would ripple through the defense the same way adding Cornelius Bennett did in 1987. This team does need to stop the run, but our pass rush is abysmal too. Bowers stops the run, and ideally, so will the OLB's we add. Offensively, add people in free agency to round out the needs. I simply want young, hungry players on the defesive side!!

I heard the same thing about Bell and thought to myslef "has he really not given up a sack?" I have always thought (yes, really thought) thay D Bell aka Mailman Jr will be a good LT. Chan and Buddy new he was a good lineman even Dick thought so to start him in short time at the beginning of last season.

Besides drafting a RT, any other draft pick would be used for depth. I think going a RT in rounds 2-5 would be a good choice. This of course depending on the draft class. As we saw this April there is no point in forcing to go O line, when the talent just isnt there.

My only question is what to do with the C/RG positions. I like what Urbik did today, gives us good power on the right side. So where does leave Wood, center? I would say yes but i really like what Hang has been doing there. I mean its a good problem to have but it needs an answer and it leaves one of those guys with a seat on the bench.

Why insult the guy and call him mailman jr.? Karl Malone is a dog, was never there for him, never acknowledged him and was truly only a sperm donor and not a father. why label him jr. If I were D Bell and you called that to my face I'd wipe the floor with your mouth.

The line has play decent IMO and had a pretty good game today. That said, if it's not Fitzpatrick back there make ridiculously quick read, decisions, releases and passes all while being fearless of being smacked, everyone would be saying our lines sucks ass. They are getting better but Fitz hides their weaknesses because he reads defenses, makes decisions and gets the ball out of his hands in two seconds instead of three and four most quarterbacks do. Another reason why he is the answer at the QB position for this team right now. I don't think people realize what a difference he makes back there regardless of the accuracy of his throws.

Spot on. I agree 100%. The line is not done being rebuilt. The flaws are just well hidden at this point.

Sorry, but the bolded part isn't descriptive enough to know what play you're referencing.. IF you mean THE DROP, Fitz took a seven step drop -which allows another second, but BLITZ-burg was charging in with 6 pass rushers. The protection held and he threw his best pass of the day.

I agree Fitz is making the OL look more experieneced, but the gameplan today was to pass much more because of the Stiller D. How great is it to know the Bills can gameplan any damn way they want against any opponent because they have the tools to execute?

Draft & FA to the D, please..

Agree. But a good RT is still a priority.

The Oline can thank Fitzmagic. If Cap'n Checkdown was still around they would look a lot worse. Fitz plays pretty smart ball.

that's exactly right some of us forget how it was the line, the recievers, the running backs, no tightend, etc. etc. etc. THe proof is in he pudding Edwards he has to be thinking ...How is fitz doing it