Is Lawrence Smith our undisputed starting LG?

4everBills

Sullivan has no DESIRE. You're right that he played well a few years back when he was forced into the starting lineup - and how did he respond? He begged not to be put back at guard the following season, telling the coaches he'd rather be a backup tackle than a starting guard. He should've been cut right then - NO NFL PLAYER WORTH HIS OWN HYDE WOULD RATHER BE A BACKUP THAN A STARTER. The guy is a B word, plain and simple - I can't wait until we cut him.

It's real simple. Sullivan is a guard in the NFL, not a tackle. He played very well in 2002 as a GUARD. The problem is, he doesn't want to play guard and is more "comfortable" at tackle. If he doesn't wake up and change his mind folks are right that he will be off the team. I think if he were only willing, he'd be starting at LG right now.

Guest BAD-OL
I still dont get how Sullivan could have done so well in 2002 but now cant land a starting job.

I thought Lawrence has played well for someone who is so inexperienced. Might make a great on the job trainee.

11204[/snapback]

I agree, Smith is far better than Pucillo and has looked decent. It's just too bad for him that ole' John Butler(may he rest in peace) is not here because he would have a 5 year $14M deal by now.

I don't think Sullivan can play guard or tackle. When he started a couple of years ago, I remember that Paul Zimmerman of SI reviewed our line play and made some really negative comments about Sullivan. I know many don't seem to respect Dr. Z, but he seems spot on about this.

How can people say they are excited or even comfortable with Smith starting at LG? Okay, maybe he is better than what we have (i.e., Pucillo, Tucker and Sullivan), but that doesn't mean he will be a quality starter. I am kind of shocked that TD let it come to this, particlarly after the poor play of the o-line last year.

I don't think Sullivan can play guard or tackle.  When he started a couple of years ago, I remember that Paul Zimmerman of SI reviewed our line play and made some really negative comments about Sullivan.  I know many don't seem to respect Dr. Z, but he seems spot on about this.

How can people say they are excited or even comfortable with Smith starting at LG?  Okay, maybe he is better than what we have (i.e., Pucillo, Tucker and Sullivan), but that doesn't mean he will be a quality starter.  I am kind of shocked that TD let it come to this, particlarly after the poor play of the o-line last year.

11324[/snapback]

WTF is the need to go off some review by Dr. Friggin Z??? Did you not watch the 2002 season with your own eyes?. He played decent at guard, especially run blocking. You don't need some review to tell you that.

WTF is the need to go off some review by Dr. Friggin Z???  Did you not watch the 2002 season with your own eyes?. He played decent at guard, especially run blocking. You don't need some review to tell you that.

11325[/snapback]

Agreed, Dr. Z's an idiot.

Sullivan played very nice IMO thru most of 2002.

I don't know what the hell he's thinking,

but he's on the verge of pissing away his career and a lot of $$$.

Damn shame.

Agreed, Dr. Z's an idiot.

Sullivan played very nice IMO thru most of 2002.

I don't know what the hell he's thinking,

but he's on the verge of pissing away his career and a lot of $$$.

Damn shame.

11342[/snapback]

He seemed better in run blocking than in pass protection, by a fairly wide margin, IMHO.

But cutting him as others say we should, would leave an already bad line in even worse shape. This line is in serious stevestojan. It's getting so bad that Teague is looking more and more like our most consistent lineman, who plays week in and week out. All the others have "issues" including our new guy Villerial (spelling). This line appears poised to make this a heck of a long season again. Now throw in the recent injuries and....

Two weeks to get ready cuz we sure aren't ready now.