Defense First...PLEASE!

Ryan Mallett, Andrew Luck, Chris Ponder, etc. do NOT play defense. Every NFL team's first priority is to match up against teams in their division. That means the Bills need to be able to stop New England (Tom Brady) and New York (Mark Sanchez, et. al.). IMO, the Jets are the bigger threat long term with youth all over the offense. So, acquiring an elite pass rusher (or two) and a LB corp that can defend the run must be the primary concern followed closely by the O-Line. For example, Chris Spielman was brought in by AJ Smith (Dir. of Pro Personnel) to stop Curtis Martin. Anything else he did was a bonus.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the AFC East is evolving in to an elite tight end division? So getting an athletic strong safety and/or OLB is an absolute must. Nix took a flier on Merriman and must have thought that winding him up on 3rd and 7+ with one purpose in mind, kill the QB, was a good idea. I cannot fault him for trying.

Scoring 30+ points in a loss is getting old. There are aspects of this team that remind me of the 1989 team that found its offensive identity in a playoff loss...34-30 (Ronnie Harmon drop game). http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/01/01/1989_buffalo_bills_bickering_bills.php

The difference in that team was they already had Bruce, Biscuit, Conlan, and Kelso established and some emerging CBs on defense. The offense, for most of the year, was similar to what we see in this version of the Bills. Kelly finished the year with 25 TDs and 18 INTs...nothing spectacular.

The message is be patient and let Buddy Nix fill in the gaps. It may take 3-4 years but the focus needs to be on competing inside the AFC East first.

Side Note: Ryan Leaf's first game was against the Buffalo Bills...he won...and then he won the next game. Anyone can be the "Next Ryan Leaf" if they are drafted in to the wrong situation and asked to do too much.

Ryan Mallett, Andrew Luck, Chris Ponder, etc. do NOT play defense. Every NFL team's first priority is to match up against teams in their division. That means the Bills need to be able to stop New England (Tom Brady) and New York (Mark Sanchez, et. al.). IMO, the Jets are the bigger threat long term with youth all over the offense. So, acquiring an elite pass rusher (or two) and a LB corp that can defend the run must be the primary concern followed closely by the O-Line. For example, Chris Spielman was brought in by AJ Smith (Dir. of Pro Personnel) to stop Curtis Martin. Anything else he did was a bonus.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the AFC East is evolving in to an elite tight end division? So getting an athletic strong safety and/or OLB is an absolute must. Nix took a flier on Merriman and must have thought that winding him up on 3rd and 7+ with one purpose in mind, kill the QB, was a good idea. I cannot fault him for trying.

Scoring 30+ points in a loss is getting old. There are aspects of this team that remind me of the 1989 team that found its offensive identity in a playoff loss...34-30 (Ronnie Harmon drop game). http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/01/01/1989_buffalo_bills_bickering_bills.php

The difference in that team was they already had Bruce, Biscuit, Conlan, and Kelso established and some emerging CBs on defense. The offense, for most of the year, was similar to what we see in this version of the Bills. Kelly finished the year with 25 TDs and 18 INTs...nothing spectacular.

The message is be patient and let Buddy Nix fill in the gaps. It may take 3-4 years but the focus needs to be on competing inside the AFC East first.

Side Note: Ryan Leaf's first game was against the Buffalo Bills...he won...and then he won the next game. Anyone can be the "Next Ryan Leaf" if they are drafted in to the wrong situation and asked to do too much.

Anyone can be the next Aaron Maybin as well.

I agree we need Defense, but wouldnt you say with all those "good offenses" you just rattled off, maybe we should draft some better offensive guys so that they have to gameplan around us for once? The offense has been stellar the last few weeks, but this year is a PERFECT opportunity to draft a 1st rd QB, as we wont have to just throw him to the wolves. Let him develop.

All I mean is that why cant we make those teams draft around us for once? We are well past due for this. QB should still be priority #1 this offseason, and LB and DE priority 2 and 2b. I agree that there is alot of good TE in our division, so why would we miss the boat and not get one too?

There are still many holes to fill on this team, But for the first time in a while, I really feel like were on the right path.

EDIT: And for the record I hope Fitz is the answer at QB, but this team has been devoid of a good QB for so long, lets take a guy and keep the fire lit under fitz, and groom a guy who at worst should be a good backup, and at best will be our QB for years to come. Shore up the most important position in sports

Edited by Munch

Defense wins championships, but u have to put up points! Therefore, we need a good balance!so, how about Nix and Co do what they need to do to get more picks! I would like to see young hungry talent out there! We do have a lot of holes to fill, but we need more picks! If we had more picks it wouldn't be a problem grabbing luck along with a top flite DE or OLB!!

Anyone can be the next Aaron Maybin as well.

I agree we need Defense, but wouldnt you say with all those "good offenses" you just rattled off, maybe we should draft some better offensive guys so that they have to gameplan around us for once? The offense has been stellar the last few weeks, but this year is a PERFECT opportunity to draft a 1st rd QB, as we wont have to just throw him to the wolves. Let him develop.

All I mean is that why cant we make those teams draft around us for once? We are well past due for this. QB should still be priority #1 this offseason, and LB and DE priority 2 and 2b. I agree that there is alot of good TE in our division, so why would we miss the boat and not get one too?

There are still many holes to fill on this team, But for the first time in a while, I really feel like were on the right path.

EDIT: And for the record I hope Fitz is the answer at QB, but this team has been devoid of a good QB for so long, lets take a guy and keep the fire lit under fitz, and groom a guy who at worst should be a good backup, and at best will be our QB for years to come. Shore up the most important position in sports

I don't have the answers and God knows, this team needs playmakers on Defense but I can see the merits to drafting a quality QB to groom. The only problem I have with your argument is that if the Bills truly believe that Fitz can carry the QB position for the next two to three years or longer, you're going to have a problem drafting a QB in the top 5 and paying him that kind of money to ride the pine for three years. And what if Fitz does so well that you just can't justify moving him out of the lineup? Then you spent a top 5 pick that you never play. The truth is that with Levi Brown, whom Gailey said they got for the purpose of grooming him, and Brohm as backups with Fitz playing well, Defense needs the attention. Does anyone really question that if we had last year's Defense with what the Offense has done since Fitz has been the signal caller that this team could very well have a reversed record than what they have now? Not that I'm against the transition to the 3-4, just that Gailey has used virtually the same personnel and gotten A LOT BETTER this year, while the Defense is the side of the ball in greatest transition. So, maybe take a QB in the 4th that is raw and needs work, but DL, LB, and then either another LB or D-lineman depending on what Free Agency produces should probably be the order. Offense has not been the problem since Fitzy has been under center and the most difficult transition has been on Defense because we don't have the necessary personnel. Just my two cents...all of this depending on how Fitz does the rest of the season, if he regresses then a 1st round QB is necessary but if he continues.....well....I guess it would be a good problem to have.

Scoring 30+ points in a loss is getting old.

Getting old? It has happened twice this year and we are still 21st in the league in scoring. Although the offense may be ahead of the defense, it's not that far ahead. We still need talent on both sides of the ball and I don't think we can ignore either side.

The best Defense is a good offense.

That's a farce. If the defense can't stop anyone, you get bled to death with 20-25 minutes of possession time. The defense has to be able to get off the field. And the Bills' defense, right now, can't get off the field. I'm in agreement with the idea of getting a defensive front 7 guy.

I dont care if we draft offense or defense. The only thing I care about about is not drafting a bust. Nix just draft someone that has size, potential, and good character. We cant afford another bust. Nix do not reach like the bills did with Maybin. Learn from your mistakes bills organization!!!

Unless of course there is a better football player available who plays offense please!

Nobody we pick can turn this team around by himself, but each draft pick can make our roster better and help our chances at catching the very good teams ahead of us in the division.

Taking an inferior defensive player over a superior offensive player means that over the next five years this team has a weaker roster because of your perceived need. No thanks. Use every pick available to add as much five-year contribution talent to this roster.

So while I really hope that the best player available is a front 7 defensive player because I have many of the same short term observations and emotions as you do, we really need our front office to pick the top talent over and over and over, round after round, year after year.

Hopefully Nix spent enough time with the Chargers to realize that is how you build a roster, and drafting for needs ensures you will have more needs.