It's been there for a year - WHAT?

This still seems like a good move by the F.O. (to me) if he can play this year and he has anything left it may show or not. In some ways it doesn't really matter, if he ever plays this year.

He may have made an agreement that he would sign with us next year even if he didn't see the field. Since Buddy has a pretty long history with him in SD and by the sounds of it knows him pretty well, I think they may have had an honest talk about his "future" before they signed him for the rest of this year. Personally I don't care either way (it is not like his roster spot is more valuable than Maybin's or McCargo's.

I doubt he became a con artist just because he was bad for a while and bothered by injuries. Maybe he was just very unhappy with AJ Smith (like that never happens).

Maybe him sitting is in the plan because they want to be able to have him practice if he can. Even if they passed him for his physical (and shouldn't have) and he doesn't come make it on the field this year for the Bills. It could just be that they gave him a 1.6 mil or what ever it is to secure his spot on the roster next year as a bonus (which would be skirting the rules a bit, I think but this is one way to do it).

Lets face it, if he can still play and he plays anywhere like he did a few years ago, he is worth keeping around in what ever way they can. We could be the first in line in the FA market for him now because he just got a big bit of commitment from the Bills. If it doesn't work out that way, well it is still cheaper than the Green at LT experiment and he was never a former probowler. We don't lose from it RW does and he would be the pissed one I would think if it fails. Some players never make it back from a achilles injury and if they do it is a very long process, that is why London Flecter went if I remember correctly.

One last thing we have been playing better D since he has been here not doing anything.

IR'd.

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/

Well said. And people should stop assuming that absolutely no one wants to play/live in Buffalo. How many players have stayed in the city after their playing days?

Merrimam was picked up on waivers, not signed in free agency. Players want to get paid and have a chance to win. Buffalo offers neither right now.

Ah, memories...

"I'd sign him.. can't be any worse than Kelsey"
-- MarkinSD

WE ARE IN FREAKIN LAST PLACE,SOME OTHER TEAM WILL CLAIM MERRIMAN. WE CAN"T STOP THE RUN AND NOW YOU GUYS WOULD RATHER PASS....unbelieveable...If the Bills pass, WE ARE FREAKIN CRAZY
-- Another Point of View

Merriman on one leg > every Bills LB
-- Mcgee

I'd bring in Merriman in a heart beat. The LB's on this team are so bad anything would be an upgrade.
-- Mr Wonderful

PTR

Merriman was brought in mostly to be a mentor for the younger guys, and reports are that he's doing just that. I think that playing would have been an added bonus, but that's looking highly unlikely at this point.

Yea, with all due respect, you don't pay someone 1.4 million to mentor the players. I think a large part of the Bills thinking was that he would be a good influence on guys like Moats and Maybin, but don't forget that our linebackers/pass rushers are some of the only veterans on the team. This guy was brought in to provide a spark and it failed. I wouldn't be surprised if his best shot at playing next year will be with the Bills. But, you never know what will happen. I think its fair to question why he was signed, but at the same time, at least Nix and Gailey are taking some shots at making something happen.

Ah, memories...

-- MarkinSD

-- Another Point of View

-- Mcgee

-- Mr Wonderful

PTR

Where are your posts stating that he wouldn't be able to play because of a lingering injury?

Edited by Union2008

Yea, with all due respect, you don't pay someone 1.4 million to mentor the players. I think a large part of the Bills thinking was that he would be a good influence on guys like Moats and Maybin, but don't forget that our linebackers/pass rushers are some of the only veterans on the team. This guy was brought in to provide a spark and it failed. I wouldn't be surprised if his best shot at playing next year will be with the Bills. But, you never know what will happen. I think its fair to question why he was signed, but at the same time, at least Nix and Gailey are taking some shots at making something happen.

The odds of Merriman reverting back to his old form were slim, given his past steroid use and current bad wheel. At worst, it was $1.5M out of Ralph's pocket and a mentor for the younger guys.