Predict the stats

Kelly the Dog

Of course there is no way of knowing this, but what do you think, say, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers would be doing on this Bills team, with this offensive line, these WRs, no TE, our running game, our defense that can't stop anyone and rarely gets turnovers, eight games into their career with Chan Gailey as the coach? Would they be noticeably better than 245 yards a game, 18-9 TD/INT, 59% completion and 25 or so sacks?

IMO, they would be better but not significantly better. That is not to say that Fitzpatrick is nearly as good as any of them. But he does certain things that make him a good QB for this team. Brady is great, one of the best ever, but not sure how great he would be in a new system with no protection, no TE to dump off to, etc.

Chan and Fitz make a great team. You have a coach who is an offensive maestro and a QB who is mentally capable of executing it. Take a moment and think back to some of the great NFL QBs. Not all of them had cannons for arms. Joe Montana didn't. Marino? JP Losman had a million dollar arm and a 10-cent head. Just saying that lacking some physical gifts does not preclude you from being a great QB.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Of course there is no way of knowing this, but what do you think, say, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers would be doing on this Bills team, with this offensive line, these WRs, no TE, our running game, our defense that can't stop anyone and rarely gets turnovers, eight games into their career with Chan Gailey as the coach? Would they be noticeably better than 245 yards a game, 18-9 TD/INT, 59% completion and 25 or so sacks?

IMO, they would be better but not significantly better. That is not to say that Fitzpatrick is nearly as good as any of them. But he does certain things that make him a good QB for this team. Brady is great, one of the best ever, but not sure how great he would be in a new system with no protection, no TE to dump off to, etc.

Lets see how Fitz plays against the better defenses he has left to play against. I would like to see Fitz finish the season above 60% and keep his INT's 13 or under (Basically don't want him to throw more then 4 INT's in the next 6 games). Accuracy is very important (And is hard to learn) and INT's are often the result of poor decision making.

This upcoming game against the Steelers is a very important measuring stick if we play a competitive game or win the Bills progress is for real. If they get waxed and its not even close then its a bad sign that this team is a lot farther off then most think. We might have taken a lot of good teams to the wire (Pats*, Ravens, KC, and the Bears) but that could have been because they took us lightly and our two wins were against bad teams.

The Steelers won't be taking us lightly thanks to the fact that we are coming off of two wins and before then took a lot of good teams down to the wire. If we still look like we belong with them then there is real progress being made here. The team is still flawed and might not win BUT if its close its going to show we are a team that is seriously improved.

Edited by billsfan89

Chan and Fitz make a great team. You have a coach who is an offensive maestro and a QB who is mentally capable of executing it. Take a moment and think back to some of the great NFL QBs. Not all of them had cannons for arms. Joe Montana didn't. Marino? JP Losman had a million dollar arm and a 10-cent head. Just saying that lacking some physical gifts does not preclude you from being a great QB.

PTR

Great post.

People seem to put so much emphasis on arm strength, they tend to forget about the "fairy armed" QB's who have been very successful in this league. We had a pretty good one here in Buffalo by the name of Jim Kelly. I believe Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball 80 yards from his knees....what's he doing now?

Great post.

People seem to put so much emphasis on arm strength, they tend to forget about the "fairy armed" QB's who have been very successful in this league. We had a pretty good one here in Buffalo by the name of Jim Kelly. I believe Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball 80 yards from his knees....what's he doing now?

I don't know why revisionist history you're working on Jim Kelly was one of the strongest armed QBs in NFL history. .

I don't know why revisionist history you're working on Jim Kelly was one of the strongest armed QBs in NFL history. .

Jim Kelly...one of the strongest arms in NFL history??? The guy had adequate arm strength, but to say that he had one of the strongest in NFL History? Are you serious? Maybe I was watching a different player all those years.

Jim Kelly...one of the strongest arms in NFL history??? The guy had adequate arm strength, but to say that he had one of the strongest in NFL History? Are you serious? Maybe I was watching a different player all those years.

obviously you were, because Kelly had a great arm. How many times did we see him bomb it out to Lofton, or Beebe, right on the money? Or complete all of those perfect passes to Reed across the middle, in traffic? All while throwing through the RWS wind.

Dude had a cannon.

He's on the "Strong Arm" list. Not the same list as Montana, etc

Or Maybe you weren't watching other QBs, or maybe your bunny ears didn't work well.

Whatever it is I've seen Jim Kelly overthrow James Lofton who was open about 60 yards down the field and the ball sailed about 10-15 yards past him, to call him "fairy armed" is to post one of the silliest post in TBD history.

Or Maybe you weren't watching other QBs, or maybe your bunny ears didn't work well.

Whatever it is I've seen Jim Kelly overthrow James Lofton who was open about 60 yards down the field and the ball sailed about 10-15 yards past him, to call him "fairy armed" is to post one of the silliest post in TBD history.

Admittedly...intimating that Jim Kelly was a "fairy armed" QB was indeed a gross exaggeration on my part. My intention, in my initial response, was to agree with the poster that people seem to place too much emphasis on arm strength when evaluating a QB's potential for success in the NFL. My mention of Jim Kelly was to illustrate that it is not essential for a QB to have elite arm strength to have a great career in the NFL.

Look...Jim Kelly was a GREAT passer, but he did not have elite arm strength. That is a fact. You're lying to yourselves if you think that he belongs in the same class as Cunningham, Favre, Elway, or Jeff George. Those guys had cannons for arms.

I'm not saying anything bad about Jim Kelly, so you all can just relax. Just being realistic.

Admittedly...intimating that Jim Kelly was a "fairy armed" QB was indeed a gross exaggeration on my part. My intention, in my initial response, was to agree with the poster that people seem to place too much emphasis on arm strength when evaluating a QB's potential for success in the NFL. My mention of Jim Kelly was to illustrate that it is not essential for a QB to have elite arm strength to have a great career in the NFL.

Look...Jim Kelly was a GREAT passer, but he did not have elite arm strength. That is a fact. You're lying to yourselves if you think that he belongs in the same class as Cunningham, Favre, Elway, or Jeff George. Those guys had cannons for arms.

I'm not saying anything bad about Jim Kelly, so you all can just relax. Just being realistic.

It's really a matter of how many categories you want to divide it into. If you want to say did Jim Kelly have an absolute howitzer, and one of the strongest arms in the history of the NFL, the answer is probably no. But that does not preclude one from saying he had very good to great arm strength, which he did.

Which brings us to Fitzpatrick, who seems to have a huge descrepancy between people who think he has poor arm strength and ones who think he has a strong arm. I would be willing to bet that NFL GMs and talent evaluators who have watched Ryan Fitzpatrick throw the ball this season would almost unanimously agree that he has good enough to good arm strength. He does not have a weak arm at all. He has shown he can gun the ball on deep outs, the hardest pass in the game. He can throw bombs 50 yards beyond the LOS in the air.

He can, as they say, "make all the throws", which means he has good arm strength. He doesn't have a cannon. His arm is not as strong as Jim Kelly, but it's strong enough to make it a non-issue in his game and in his evaluation. It would be nice if he had a cannon, but he doesn't. But it is clearly not weak.

Have to say you r in the minority. Jim had a big arm and that is what he is known for. When people talk of needing a QB in B-lo they refer to how that QB would need a strong arm like JIMBO did to cut thru the winds at Rich stadium (I refuse to call it R.W. Stadium)

I'm not saying anything bad about Johnny Hammersticks , so you all can just relax. Just being realistic.