Fitzpatrick is the new Jay Fiedler

Albany,n.y.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you who Fitz is reminding me of.....Brett Favre. He spreads the ball around to all of his receivers. He throws lots of touchdown passes and interceptions. Favre always was a gamer but he would always make some throws that simply left you scratching your head. Fitz has been doing the same. It will certainly be interesting to see how Fitz does against this tough Pittsburgh defense. He will be throwing a lot because running is going to be downright difficult.

If Fitz were alone in the "crucial errors," you might have a point. One simply cannot ignore things like Lindell missing the 2nd kick against KC, or Shawn Nelson fumbling against the Ravens, or the poor performances by the defense, or the RT situation, or the lack of a pass rush, or going with Trent in the first 2 games. I will lay blame for the Bears game on him, because that pick he threw was killer, when running the ball would have been the better course.

Again, the Bills have holes other than QB that need to be addressed, while Luck looks to be the only sure-fire QB in the draft. And even then the Bills likely won't be a position to draft him and there are no guarantees he'll succeed.

You're once again conflating the issue. There are no guarantees with anything, but it's clear without a top flight QB that teams do not advance deep into the playoffs. Some smart guy will come up with an exception, but the fact remains that top teams almost always have top QB's. And as for the draft, it's 5 months away so there's no sense prognosticating about how that'll play out.

The Colts, Patriots, and Saints consistently win because their QB can make up for defensive shortcomings. Team them with a good defense and you're talking championship caliber clubs. IMO, even if Buffalo had a decent defense, Fitzpatrick is still going to make more mistakes than a franchise guy and thus help to lose games the team should win.

This team has holes all over the field: RT, TE, 2x OLB, FS, CB, and others. Get the franchise guy if you can on draft day and things have a way of working out. Look at TB for goodness sakes.

Theres only one truth in this thread: there's us lowly "casual" fans, we wear our sweats while watching the team play, Bills games are secondary Sunday activites, and to a man, we lack the capacity for critical, anytical thought.

Then there are the uber fans like BillsVet, without whom the rest of us would be lost, utterly lost.

So just know: if youve ever had a positive thought about the Bills, your credibility is ****. Youre nothing more than a casual fan and you should really consider a cease and desist before spamming a highly intelligible, highly prestigious bastion for discourse such as TSW.

[

Someone please explain to me the Fitz - Fiedler comparison. Besides being fellow Ivy Leaguers, which is hardly a basis for comparison, I see no other similarities. Is it Fitz's arm strength that you perceive to be similar to Fiedler's. Is it his throwing style? Is it his mental capacity for the game? Is it because they are both white men?

Look...I'm growing tired of these Fitz is the new (fill in the blank) threads. I have seen threads comparing him to Chad Pennington, Tyler Thigpen, and now Jay Fiedler (I'm sure there have been more). If you are going to make an assertion like Fitz is just like Jay Fiedler, please at least have some intelligent, specific, points to support your comparison.

For the record, I don't see any similarities between Fitz and Fiedler. :wallbash:

6-2, 225 lbs, slightly better then average scrambler, known for ivy league intelligence. Career 1:1 ratio of td:int. Career completion percentage of 58% with a career passer rating in the mid 70s with a best season in the mid 80s(that season not being a full 16 games). Got first starting job under chan gailey

I don't see why anyone would see a similarity between the two. By the way, which one was I talking about up there? Every statement is true of both.

Edited by NoSaint

And Fiedler had 2 more playoff appearances than Fitzpatrick does. What's your point? That throwing TD passes is more important than actually winning.

Wow. Then you go and say something as stupefyingly retarded as this.

6-2, 225 lbs, slightly better then average scrambler, known for ivy league intelligence. Career 1:1 ratio of td:int. Career completion percentage of 58% with a career passer rating in the mid 70s with a best season in the mid 80s(that season not being a full 16 games). Got first starting job under chan gailey

I don't see why anyone would see a similarity between the two. By the way, which one was

I talking about up there? Every statement is true of both.

Yes because Fitz's play this year (the only thng we should b concerning ourselves with) has been soooooooooooo indicative of his career to date.

I don't get this thread. Fitz has 2 less TDs in, 8 games, than Fiedler ever had in his best year.

Before fitzs big second half against the bengals battered secondary the stats are almost spot on for fiedlers 2002 season.

In 8 games fitz is a hair under 2000 yards, 18-9, 59%, and 88qb rating.

In 11 games jay was a little over 2000 yards, 14-9, 61% and an 85 rating.

In the 8 years between the NFL has used the rule book to open up the passing game more, and really, minus the second half against the bengals (which I know you can't ignore- but it's such a small sample size for one half of explosive football.... Example: Lee Evans vs Houston might not be the best half of football to extrapolate for career production) the stats are truly eerily similar.

Id love to get a few playoff years, and a fiedler-esque career from fitz, but if a potential HoF qb is staring you in the face, take him but you certainly don't have to roll the dice on someone, unless you believe he is that guy, as you have a good starter.

Edited by NoSaint

[

I don't see why anyone would see a similarity between the two. By the way, which one was I talking about up there? Every statement is true of both.

With regard to your statistical comparison....apples to oranges. Fiedler started 62 games in his career, Fitz has started only 31 entering this weekend. Too small of a sample size for a valid statistical comparison. Their height/weight, and the fact that they both got their first starting job under Gailey make them similar, but it is hardly enough evidence to assert that "Fitz in the new Fiedler." Give me a break.

I have watched both of them play plenty of times, and I'm just not buying it. Completely different players.

Wow. Then you go and say something as stupefyingly retarded as this.

Yes because Fitz's play this year (the only thng we should b concerning ourselves with) has been soooooooooooo indicative of his career to date.

Why do we throw away his developmental stats but keep all of jays? If we look at jays best year or two only, He played well. Fitz is playing well too. I don't mean it as an insult to compare. I'm saying I think fitz is the type that could get us to the playoffs, but if we see a guy we think is the next manning, Brady, etc... Pull the trigger. If we don't see that guy then build around fitz and make our run.

With regard to your statistical comparison....apples to oranges. Fiedler started 62 games in his career, Fitz has started only 31 entering this weekend. Too small of a sample size for a valid statistical comparison. Their height/weight, and the fact that they both got their first starting job under Gailey make them similar, but it is hardly enough evidence to assert that "Fitz in the new Fiedler." Give me a break.

I have watched both of them play plenty of times, and I'm just not buying it. Completely different players.

Each is a unique player, but I think the people just throwing away the comparison or saying someones dumb for thinking it aren't being all that fair. If you see differences, that's cool, but I get why someone could put the two next to each other as a reference point. Not saying they are clones, but there are definitely similaritieswhen thinking of a qb to use as a comparable at this point Fiedler would come to mind. I didn't see enough of Fiedler to exactly recall his throwing motion, how he goes through his reads, if his stats were poor in the clutch, but great in garbage time. From what I recall he was a good game manager, could scramble, was a smart guy, not elite physically, but could win some games. At this point it's hard to say what fitz will be but those all seem to describe him and there are some very close stats, and they are playing in an offense run by the same man. Fitz could be much better, he could pull a Derek Anderson... Currently he's kind of similar to Fiedler in my head tho, and that's not bad - and I don't think it's nuts to think so far.

Edited by NoSaint

Anyone else think Fitz is about the most mature 28-year-old you've ever seen? They guy conducts himself like a guy in his late 30s. Calm, reasoned, responsible. And yet, when he's on the field, he plays with verve.

Even if he can't lead us to a championship, I like him as a guy holding the steering wheel while we get this ship to float again.

You're once again conflating the issue. There are no guarantees with anything, but it's clear without a top flight QB that teams do not advance deep into the playoffs. Some smart guy will come up with an exception, but the fact remains that top teams almost always have top QB's. And as for the draft, it's 5 months away so there's no sense prognosticating about how that'll play out.

The Colts, Patriots, and Saints consistently win because their QB can make up for defensive shortcomings. Team them with a good defense and you're talking championship caliber clubs. IMO, even if Buffalo had a decent defense, Fitzpatrick is still going to make more mistakes than a franchise guy and thus help to lose games the team should win.

This team has holes all over the field: RT, TE, 2x OLB, FS, CB, and others. Get the franchise guy if you can on draft day and things have a way of working out. Look at TB for goodness sakes.

"Get[ting] the franchise guy" is easier said than done. With the Bills' 2 wins, they've all but assured themselves of missing out on Luck (assuming he declares). Beyond him (and even including him), I have reservations about all the other QB's and feel it will be similar to last year, i.e. Bradford and then a bunch of career backups. And TB took a gamble and got lucky. Hardly a game plan.

And Fiedler had 2 more playoff appearances than Fitzpatrick does. What's your point? That throwing TD passes is more important than actually winning.

Fiedler was in the league for 10 seasons. Fitz is in his 6th year. What's your point?

Again, this season blows away Fielder's best season (2001) out of his 10 years in the league. If you want to talk 2002, see below.

Before fitzs big second half against the bengals battered secondary the stats are almost spot on for fiedlers 2002 season.

In 8 games fitz is a hair under 2000 yards, 18-9, 59%, and 88qb rating.

In 11 games jay was a little over 2000 yards, 14-9, 61% and an 85 rating.

In the 8 years between the NFL has used the rule book to open up the passing game more, and really, minus the second half against the bengals (which I know you can't ignore- but it's such a small sample size for one half of explosive football.... Example: Lee Evans vs Houston might not be the best half of football to extrapolate for career production) the stats are truly eerily similar.

Id love to get a few playoff years, and a fiedler-esque career from fitz, but if a potential HoF qb is staring you in the face, take him but you certainly don't have to roll the dice on someone, unless you believe he is that guy, as you have a good starter.

You might want to check that 2002 season. Outside of the 2 games Fiedler started against the Pats (who were ranked 11th in pass defense), the remaining teams were all in the bottom half in pass defense, and 3 were in the bottom-5.