Fingon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me to it.

Football basics-1 Ganesh-0

Actually, Ngata is the exception. Usually what he said is true. Ngata is a freak and most players who were NTs cannot play DE like Ngata whatsoever, and usually are not as good at 4-3 DT either because their jobs are different. Ngata can do either of them because he's great and an aberration. 95% of the time, Ganesh would have been correct in that assumption. Actually, it's football basics that classic 3-4 NTs cannot play 3-4 DE.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Actually, Ngata is the exception. Usually what he said is true. Ngata is a freak and most players who were NTs cannot play DE like Ngata whatsoever, and usually are not as good at 4-3 DT either because their jobs are different. Ngata can do either of them because he's great and an aberration. 95% of the time, Ganesh would have been correct in that assumption. Actually, it's football basics that classic 3-4 NTs cannot play 3-4 DE.

The salt in the wound though is that the Bills scouts gave the same grade to John "Inactive on Sunday" McCargo.

Nah, anyone who's watched a Bills game knows the run plays that kill us are the ones that avoid KW.

Sorry state of affairs. KW is a 4-3 DT while Nagata is a classic 3-4 nose tackle. Sadly DJ felt nagata was not a good fit for his cover-2

The irony is Ngata plays fast for his size, and he can penetrate/pursue really well. He would've been fine in the cover 2 scheme and still a force.

Since this is going nowhere, anyone have any stats on how many yards per rush the Bills surrender up the middle?

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/dl

It appears we definitely give up more yards per carry on the outside, but it appears one side of our line on the inside gets killed and one side doesn't pretty good.

If you're going to refer to the stats, make sure you read the whole article and actually think, because these are adjusted yards, for the formula they use. But it makes sense to look at it this way.

The stats, like everything, can be totally misleading. For example, I think everyone watching the Bills has seen our OLB get killed (Kelsay, Torbor) while being blocked, and guys running by them in the open field for huge gains. The ILB (Poz, Davis) not so much, and just let guys drag them for 5-8 yard gains.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Yet we r giving up 163 yards per game, worst ain the league!

When your linebackers fail to tackle the work of your pro-bowl NT goes to waste.

Every single Sunday Kyle is taking up two Offensive linemen so the advantage becomes ours ... maybe, just maybe we have turned a corner with the run D but we will have to see how this all plays out over the next few weeks.

If we had one terrorizing LB Williams work would be getting more notice ... our LB's are great at catching runners from behind ... we need someone who gets in their faces and tackles them rather than hoping their body bump will do the work.

It appears we definitely give up more yards per carry on the outside, but it appears one side of our line on the inside gets killed and one side doesn't pretty good.

If you're going to refer to the stats, make sure you read the whole article and actually think, because these are adjusted yards, for the formula they use. But it makes sense to look at it this way.

The stats, like everything, can be totally misleading. For example, I think everyone watching the Bills has seen our OLB get killed (Kelsay, Torbor) while being blocked, and guys running by them in the open field for huge gains. The ILB (Poz, Davis) not so much, and just let guys drag them for 5-8 yard gains.

If I had to name just one unit responsible for our rush D woes, I have to say it falls squarely to our OLB's. Which is why the mere mention of Kyle Williams got my back up.

Also, Kyle Williams flushes the QB A LOT. If he had a remotely competent pass rusher (Kelsay getting 2" from the QB and falling on his face = 70% competency in my book, but not competency) we'd be getting a TON of sacks, and thanks in large part to Kyle Williams.

There is a lot to grumble about when it comes to this team, and it's mostly one the defensive side of the ball.

But leave Kyle Williams out of it!! :flirt:

Interesting data. Supports the contention that Chris Kelsay sucks too. ;)