Solution for NFL concussion problem

machinegun12

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Why-an-IPFW-forward-wears-boxing-headgear-during?urn=ncaab-287620

A few weeks ago Joe Paterno suggested that eliminating the facemask from helmets would, in his opinion, sustantially reduce concussions suffered by players. Leather helmets may be a bit outdated, why not boxing headgear? I guarantee you a defender coming at a defenseless player will think twice about delivering a "headgear to headgear" shot that would potentially split his skull open. Anyone got Roger Goodell's cellphone number?

This thread has nothing to do with the Bills until now...GO BILLS!!!!

While Paterno's suggestion might eliminate the intentional helmet-to-helmet hit, you'd most certainly have a major increase in head injuries from all the inadvertent hits.

^this and also, what's to stop a guy that is a back up that thinks he has a hard head (or even does) from trying to prove his worth? You need good helmets in this sport. No way around that.

what about not wearing helmets? (like rugby) or old school football

possibly some type of modified hockey type helmet, or a "softer shell helmet" if helmets were softer (just as padded and protective but softer (like a modern leather variation)

And on that note... why not get rid of all the hard rigid padding and go to more "soft" padding like dual density fabrics and foams.

i think if a players entire equipment set was changed to have softer pads and a softer helmet they would be less likely to use their equipment as weapons and more likely to actually practice good tackling techniques and fundamentals..

just my incoherant ramblings...

The answer is pretty clear - mandatory mouth gaurds go to the Kelso Helmet. There was a study about Pee Wee kids wearign the Kelso and it reduced their risk 805 Or something. Mouthgaurds have been used for years and are required in every other level of the sport so they are nothing new.

The science beind concusions are sudden impacts. Having a hard exterior shell is not the best way - which is why boxing helemts dont have a hard exterior shell.

Cartoonishly big foam helmets! I'm talking HUGE foam helmets. Maybe even inflatable. Protect the head, can't hurt anything. Lead with the head and you'll just bounce off.

:rolleyes:

Maybe the top portion of something like this (without the "tail").

normal_BIB_POTRAIT_2.jpg

Edited by The Dean

It's IMPOSSIBLE to prevent concussions. As Kurt Warner said, it's part of the game. If they want to prevent concussions, then we'll have to change NFL to flag football or 2 hand touch.

It's not the helmet, the facemask or padding or no padding. It's where u get hit and how u get hit and what happens when ur head slams into the ground. You can't prevent that. Do you honestly think there were no concussions when they played with leather helmets? I'm sure there were. It's just a bigger issue in todays game.

Edited by DreReed83

The answer is pretty clear - mandatory mouth gaurds go to the Kelso Helmet. There was a study about Pee Wee kids wearign the Kelso and it reduced their risk 805 Or something. Mouthgaurds have been used for years and are required in every other level of the sport so they are nothing new.

The science beind concusions are sudden impacts. Having a hard exterior shell is not the best way - which is why boxing helemts dont have a hard exterior shell.

This article makes a strong case for the Kelso (Great Gazoo) helmet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101026_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

They've already changed the helmet a lot. Changed facemasks. Made helmets a ton lighter. More padding. Didnt work.

No, they have done nothing to make the OUTSIDE softer as far as I know. The Kelso helmet should be mandatory, and they can make improvements on that.

Now that most of you have concluded reducing the padding and eliminating the shell and face mask is appropriate we can get back to rugby and play the game as it was meant to be played. Hard men, hard heads and leather balls.

Spectacularly bad idea, other than getting rid of the hard shell.

And rugby is for mooks not talented enough to play football. :lol:

My friend here is AZ plays Rugby. I go to a match a week. Never once have a seen a concussion (small sample size, I know). But the WAY they tackle is different. Just as hard, but you have to have a better sense of self preservation so the technique is different. I'm not saying we should remove helmets from the game, not at all. But there are ways to tackle a guy in which no one gets hurt (well, in the head anyway) and helmets seem to do as much damage as they prevent.

Correct...DreReed83 probably did not even read the article.

And how many players would wear that clunky thing on their head that probably just adds unnecessary weight to their head? Nobody would wear that thing. And regardless i'm sure it wouldn't eliminate concussions. If it would, then players like Steve Young and other players who've been plagued by concussions would have worn it.

:thumbdown: