Hey Draft Guru's

Virgil

To get to the point:

I'm going to assume the Bills end up with a top 5 pick. Let's just say it's number 5 overall. If they wanted to trade up to the number one spot, what would they need to give up?

For me, if Luck comes out. I would trade our 1st and 3rd this year, and our 1st next year. Would that do it?

And for those who think i'm insane, I truly believe that we are a QB, RT, and LB away from being over the hump and we would have Luck, a second rounder for either RT/LB, and the later rounds and FA for anything else.

To get to the point:

I'm going to assume the Bills end up with a top 5 pick. Let's just say it's number 5 overall. If they wanted to trade up to the number one spot, what would they need to give up?

For me, if Luck comes out. I would trade our 1st and 3rd this year, and our 1st next year. Would that do it?

And for those who think i'm insane, I truly believe that we are a QB, RT, and LB away from being over the hump and we would have Luck, a second rounder for either RT/LB, and the later rounds and FA for anything else.

If Luck comes out, I don't think the 1st spot is available for any reasonable amount.

To get to the point:

1) I don't think it's safe to assume The Bills will be drafting in the top 5 - maybe not even in the top 10 (JMO);

2) Again, JMO, but I think the Luck-hype will peak and subside before the draft. Still don't think he'll come out, but also wonder - should he prove me wrong about declaring - if his stock might fall a bit before all is said and done.

Since nobody answered your question...

According to the chart, no, a 1st and 3rd wouldn't be enough to move up from #5 to #1, hypothetically speaking. In fact, all of your picks wouldn't be enough to move up from #5 to #1. But that's just the chart. In reality, it's much more feasible. In 2001 Atlanta traded the #5 overall pick and the fifth pick in the third round for the #1 overall pick and drafted Michael Vick. The Chargers took LT at #5 and some bum CB in the third.

According to the chart, no, a 1st and 3rd wouldn't be enough to move up from #5 to #1, hypothetically speaking. In fact, all of your picks wouldn't be enough to move up from #5 to #1. But that's just the chart. In reality, it's much more feasible. In 2001 Atlanta traded the #5 overall pick and the fifth pick in the third round for the #1 overall pick and drafted Michael Vick. The Chargers took LT at #5 and some bum CB in the third.

Yea the chart is a bit wacky, but I doubt Car trades Luck to gain just our third. I think a 2 and 4 would be more like it.

But trading a 3rd, aka an Alex Carrington or Ashton Youboty, for Luck would be a steal.

Leonidas, you're off base here. The Falcons also sent the Chargers a second rounder the next year and Tim Dwight. And the original poster was asking if the package was enough including our 2012 first rounder- which I believe is enough to get it done, but not a smart move.

Edited by Tim Anderson's Lunch Pail

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

Here's the chart. I was looking at it the other day myself, but I was hoping the Bills would have the #2 overall and looking at what they could get to trade down.

The Bills need help at OLB, DE, and RT, an center for the future and ideally a pass catching TE. I'd use around a 3rd for a RT as they aren't in too bad of shape there, same for a backup center whom eventually will become starter in a couple years. They need to use a high pick though on OLB and DE, so again trading down wouldn't be a bad thing for some extra picks. They also coule look for help through free agency too, maybe get one big time LB there.

Then again maybe the secret in Merriman, after al lthey haven't lost since they've signed him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

Here's the chart. I was looking at it the other day myself, but I was hoping the Bills would have the #2 overall and looking at what they could get to trade down.

The Bills need help at OLB, DE, and RT, an center for the future and ideally a pass catching TE. I'd use around a 3rd for a RT as they aren't in too bad of shape there, same for a backup center whom eventually will become starter in a couple years. They need to use a high pick though on OLB and DE, so again trading down wouldn't be a bad thing for some extra picks. They also coule look for help through free agency too, maybe get one big time LB there.

Then again maybe the secret in Merriman, after al lthey haven't lost since they've signed him.

josh mcdaniels is a little nuts...say he ends up with the 7th pick...we trade back and get denver's 1st and 2nd and we get 3 picks inside the top 40

Leonidas, you're off base here. The Falcons also sent the Chargers a second rounder the next year and Tim Dwight. And the original poster was asking if the package was enough including our 2012 first rounder- which I believe is enough to get it done, but not a smart move.

You're right. I forgot about Tim Dwight and Reche Caldwell (drafted from the 2nd rounder the next year). The problem is that it was almost a full decade ago and there's a ton of mis-information out there (see below). I could have sworn there was a pick in 2002 too, thanks for the heads up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick#NFL_Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2670541

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/draft/

STH up, we don't need to trade up if anything we should trade back if we are in that position.

How about trading a CB to Houston? That is their #1 Team Need, and we have several. McKelvin to Houston for their, say, #23.

2 Andrew Luck QB Stanford (Carolina took Stephen Paea, the DT)

23 Cameron Heyward DE34 Ohio State (The next 3 picks focus on pass rush)

34 Jeremy Beal OLB34 Oklahoma

66 Josh Bynes ILB Auburn (We have Casey Matthews still available as well at #66--may go with him)

98 Luke Stocker TE Tennessee (I like the 3 we have, but we need two more to compete)

130 Lee Ziemba OT Auburn (Ziemba will make his way up the board into Top 100 by February)

162 Zach Pianalto TE North Carolina (5-way competition between Stocker, Pianalto, Martin, Stupar, Nelson)

194 Vai Taua FB Nevada (Fullback who loves to hit, loves the game, plays ST)

226 Ryan Winterswyk DE34 Boise St. (I love Boise State, and watch all their games. He's a player.

UDFA or Comp

Doug Hogue OLB Syracuse

Ryan Bartholomew OC Syracuse

Cliff Matthews OLB34 South Carolina

Greg Lloyd ILB Connecticut

Rob Long P Syracuse

Mike Adams RT Ohio State

According to the chart this is true.

Here is a brief reasoning IMHO why it became such a pain in the rear to trade for a top pick, thank Ditka.

When the Saints gave the skins their entire draft for Ricky Williams in 99', it should be noted that was for the #5 overall pick. Ricky Willams was the saints only draft pick in 1999. Also absurd in my mind is that the saints also had to give the skins their 1st and 3rd round picks in 2000. So it took 8 picks in 1999 and 2 in 2000(10 total picks, 2 1sts & 2 3rd's) just to get the 5th pick in 1999. Insane!