Anyone own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata

zevo

Steering issue was for a recall. Many cars have recalls all the time.

I had a Sonata before I leased my BMW (I don't know the year). I loved the car but you just reminded me I had a steering problem with it. Something happened and I lost all the power steering fluid and couldn't steer it. Luckily I just happened to be driving by the dealer when it happened.

Edited by Chef Jim

I had a Sonata before I leased my BMW (I don't know the year). I loved the car but you just reminded me I had a steering problem with it. Something happened and I lost all the power steering fluid and couldn't steer it. Luckily I just happened to be driving by the dealer when it happened.

Yikes .. that could have ended very ugly if it happened under different circumstances. While the technology to steer completely electronically is readily available and less costly than combined power assisted and mechanical steering, it is considered too unsafe. Imagine cruising along at 70MPH and having no ability to steer at all due to an electronic failure. :blink: For this reason alone there is likely to always be manual steering capability underlying whatever technolgy may be used to assist the driver for power and "feel."

My office mate just got the 2011 Sonata a couple months ago. She loves it, though there was a recall, something to do with the steering.

As for the Jetta, I had a 2002. First year they had moved production to Mexico. Had a lot of electrical problems. From what others on this string have said it sounds like they have since fixed those problems but I'll never own another VW. Currently have an 07 Civic. No problems (first year of the new body style, often times this leads to a recall or two.)

Are you sure about that? Because I could swear my 98 Jetta I had was made in Mexico.

Yikes .. that could have ended very ugly if it happened under different circumstances. While the technology to steer completely electronically is readily available and less costly than combined power assisted and mechanical steering, it is considered too unsafe. Imagine cruising along at 70MPH and having no ability to steer at all due to an electronic failure. :blink: For this reason alone there is likely to always be manual steering capability underlying whatever technolgy may be used to assist the driver for power and "feel."

If I remember correctly I was driving home from work and the steering was making all sorts of weird noises so I took it to the dealer. Luckily the leak was a slow one.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) report at safercar.gov identifies the issue says "the steering column intermediate shaft universal joint connections may have been either improperly assembled or insufficiently tightened." The consequence could be "a complete separation or compromised attachment of the connections, such that the driver could experience a loss of, or reduction in, steering capability increasing the risk of a crash."

The recall affects MY 2011 Hyundai Sonata sedans built between December 11, 2009 and September 10, 2010. Dealers should begin sending out recall notices in October. They will inspect and re-torque the assembly, and update the steering software too, at no charge.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) report at safercar.gov identifies the issue says "the steering column intermediate shaft universal joint connections may have been either improperly assembled or insufficiently tightened." The consequence could be "a complete separation or compromised attachment of the connections, such that the driver could experience a loss of, or reduction in, steering capability increasing the risk of a crash."

The recall affects MY 2011 Hyundai Sonata sedans built between December 11, 2009 and September 10, 2010. Dealers should begin sending out recall notices in October. They will inspect and re-torque the assembly, and update the steering software too, at no charge.

That's crazy they're still having issues with that. My issues was probably 7 years ago.

have a hyundai sonata and an audi quattro. the Sonata has been a car with no problems at all...the quattro has been a pain in the heinie.

Isn't it sad to own a "luxury" car that is a headache and a "normal" car that isn't? For my everyday car I drive a 1998 Chysler Cirrus .. I've not had issue one with it. I mentioned earlier in the thread that the mercedes I bought for the wifey has been an overpriced nuisance by comparison. True the Mercedes is more fun to drive but to simply get to work (or to the airport) and back daily my aging Chrysler does the job nicely.

Not sure it was the first year of Mexican production, don't even remember why I thought that. Sure about the electrical problems though. Did you have any?

Yeah I had a couple of them. Nothing too significant, just cruise (which didn't work when I bought it) and the front passengers window would go down in increments. Not really enough to make me dislike the car.

One with the other and that last one with an Acura TL AWD.

AWD Audis have THE best ride IMHO. I ride with my azz, if you know what I mean. You're married to the road in an Audi. Absolutely the most comfortable hoad-hugging ride in an auto, in my view.

We noticed on both of them that the steering wheel started to crumble, the window switches on the doors and the button/pads on the dash were wearing away, like someone had washed them hard in solvents. It happened to both of them. That was purely cosmetic. I hit a dear with the first A6 and it never was the same after that. Got another one and loved it - till it started getting flaky on me. The coils went - on three different occasions. Ended up getting them all replaced with a recall - but it ruined two vacations. Last summer we gave up on it when the check engine light went on for the fourth time (it was either both catalytic converters and/or the sensors). We traded it in on the Acura which is also an AWD 6 cylinder. The ride is second to an A6 - but not by much and we're loving it.

As for the Mercedes, we considered them. Went to two C-Spot Drive parties over the last four years or so. I was impressed with them, and they have AWD models - fourmatic I think they call it. The drives were a hoot. First one was at the Englishtown, NJ raceway - where they have the National drag racing championships. They let people drive through a few courses - one of which was wet down and a plastic sheet was laid down and fire hosed over. I could not make the car slip, slide nor skid and I was impressed. Overall though, the C class is smaller and we liked the A6 size better.

My take on most of the German cars are that they are mechanically very fine, but they seem a bit chintzy on things like the surfaces in the cabin and the electronics.

Don't know if any of this helps at all. Go test drive 'em all.

Wifey's from Slingerlands, by the way.

Thanks for all the info. I saw a bad review of the Mercedes' handling, but your drive sounds like it handles up to my expectations.

I live right down the road from Slingerlands & go to the Price Chopper there.

Thanks to all for their advice. I decided to go with the Volkswagen Jetta TDI...The fit and finish of the car is amazing as compared to the Saab 9-3 Aero that I traded in. I drove from Amherst to my parents house in Elma and back without the gas needle moving at all. I was averaging 49 MPGS on the drive. Great driving experience and lots of power. Thanks.