(LAMP) Looks like I'm moving to DC

WVUFootball29

Well hate to say it, but looks like I'm going to be moving out of WNY. Unfortunately, not to one of my preferred locales (Denver, Austin, Nashville), but to Washington DC as I just signed my offer letter for a DOJ Protective Services position. I know we have a few TBDers in the metro area so I was hoping to get some suggestions on where I should be looking for apartments?

Quick run down of my situation: Wife and I are both about 30 with a 9 month old daughter. Looking for a place that is walkable to the metro line, under 2200 a month(could stretch it to 2500 in the right situation), and preferably in a neighborhood where I don't have to be armed to walk around the block. I have found a few places in Alexandria, Hyattsville, and near Silver Springs that are on my list, but I was hoping that someone might know of some secrets or little known locations that I have not come across.

Also, right now it looks like the MARC and VRE trains are of no use to me since my shifts will either begin or end at 6am. Metro is the only way to go as parking near the Dept of Justice is ridiculous.

Any help is much appreciated. Also, probably not moving until after Jan 1 as I'm waiting for my security clearance to go through right now.

Well hate to say it, but looks like I'm going to be moving out of WNY. Unfortunately, not to one of my preferred locales (Denver, Austin, Nashville), but to Washington DC as I just signed my offer letter for a DOJ Protective Services position. I know we have a few TBDers in the metro area so I was hoping to get some suggestions on where I should be looking for apartments?

Quick run down of my situation: Wife and I are both about 30 with a 9 month old daughter. Looking for a place that is walkable to the metro line, under 2200 a month(could stretch it to 2500 in the right situation), and preferably in a neighborhood where I don't have to be armed to walk around the block. I have found a few places in Alexandria, Hyattsville, and near Silver Springs that are on my list, but I was hoping that someone might know of some secrets or little known locations that I have not come across.

Also, right now it looks like the MARC and VRE trains are of no use to me since my shifts will either begin or end at 6am. Metro is the only way to go as parking near the Dept of Justice is ridiculous.

Any help is much appreciated. Also, probably not moving until after Jan 1 as I'm waiting for my security clearance to go through right now.

Well, just remember that walkable to Metro (by that i assume you mean under 20 minutes)is the MOST desirable trait in terms of location for most suburban locations. So, just make sure you realize that when looking. My take is that Silver Spring is starting to really gentrify, and downtown Silver spring has a lot going on right now. Alexandria is a huge area, some beautiful neighborhoods, some not so much, so you need to clarify. Hyatssville OTOH, while i think would be a good long term investment, is not quite there yet.

Only suggestion I might make is that to get more, look for a place that is on a bus line. Might take a few extra minutes as opposed to walking to the Metro, but you will get a ton more home or apartment if furthur away from Metro.

Been here 26 years now, 20 of which were spent in Arlington. Moved to Fairfax County three years ago and still miss Arlington. Don't know if it's in your price range, but the orange line corridor in Arlington is great. Lots of good restaurants, shops, etc. Schools are good in Arlington too, if you're there long enough. It's a safe area also. Suggest you check Arlington out.

I'm more of a 'city rat' and definitely prefer being in DC-proper (I lived at 1028 29th Street and 3549 S Street back in the Reagan era). Rents have more than quadrupled since then, and your desired rent eliminates Georgetown from the equation. For safety reasons, I'd agree with the poster who suggested that you'd want to confine any city-search to NW - have you considered/investigated the American University area (Upper NW-AU/Tenleytown Metro Station)?

Map

If you have to (or prefer to) live in 'the 'burbs', I like VA much better than MD (lived briefly in both). Ned's suggestion of Arlington is a good one - it's a really beautiful area. Alexandria is also nice.

Edited by The Senator

For safety reasons, I'd agree with the poster who suggested that you'd want to confine any city-search to NW - have you considered/investigated the American University area (Upper NW-AU/Tenleytown Metro Station)?

If you have to (or prefer to) live in 'the 'burbs', I like VA much better than MD (lived briefly in both). Ned's suggestion of Arlington is a good one - it's a really beautiful area. Alexandria is also nice.

Thw NW thingee is way outdated. The District is becoming gentrified everywhere, and there are some really great places in all 4 quadrants now, places that even as little as 10 years ago the cops were scared to go.

I too lived in the District from 88-01, and am still there at least weekly oon business. The transformation of the city has been crazy the last 10 years.

So many great places to live now in the DC Metro area, like I mentioned even paces in the burbs like Downtown Silver Spring and Claredon have become cool places with that downtown feel to them. One just has to realize that walking distance to the Metro prolly adds a lot of money to the rent payment, but that can be offset b the need to only have one car, no two.

Thanks for all the info guys. Looking at a place near Wheaton Station now and have my sights set on a few others in arlington, alexandria, and downtown. Just need to crunch some numbers and see what is going to be the most cost effective vs giving me the shortest commute. I'll be working 12 hours shifts 5 days a week so having as much time at home with the baby is important.

Does anyone know about the townhouse complex over by FedEx Field called Victory Promenade? They looked fairly nice and the price wasn't much more than renting and its only a block away from the Morgan station metro.

Thw NW thingee is way outdated. The District is becoming gentrified everywhere, and there are some really great places in all 4 quadrants now, places that even as little as 10 years ago the cops were scared to go.

I too lived in the District from 88-01, and am still there at least weekly oon business. The transformation of the city has been crazy the last 10 years.

So many great places to live now in the DC Metro area, like I mentioned even paces in the burbs like Downtown Silver Spring and Claredon have become cool places with that downtown feel to them. One just has to realize that walking distance to the Metro prolly adds a lot of money to the rent payment, but that can be offset b the need to only have one car, no two.

Yes the city has changed tremendously (I still occasionally get there on business), but I'd still want to avoid Anacostia, the Catholic U area, North Capitol Street, the NY Avenue corridor - basically all of NE, I guess!

When I lived on 29th (on the C&O Canal across from the Four Seasons, there was no 'lower' Georgetown (between K & M Streets) - we called it 'Canary Row' or 'the Georgetown Ghetto' - now an 'upscale' neighborhood! My office on 14th & G would have been considered the edge of the 'red-light district' - and now it's all pricey hotels and office high-rises.

Lived in SS briefly (Georgian Towers) - not an awful place but, again, I prefer VA or DC.

Thanks for all the info guys. Looking at a place near Wheaton Station now and have my sights set on a few others in arlington, alexandria, and downtown. Just need to crunch some numbers and see what is going to be the most cost effective vs giving me the shortest commute. I'll be working 12 hours shifts 5 days a week so having as much time at home with the baby is important.

Does anyone know about the townhouse complex over by FedEx Field called Victory Promenade? They looked fairly nice and the price wasn't much more than renting and its only a block away from the Morgan station metro.

Wish I could help, but don't know what it is like there. East Capital Street out of the District to Fed Ex used to be pretty rough,especially close to the District, but again, it may have changed.

I think I may feel more comfortable in the Wheaton location, but thats just cause I know it better. Some great ethnic restaurants in Wheaton, including Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese etc. Close to Silver Spring, and in downtown in 30 minutes on Metro.

My office on 14th & G would have been considered the edge of the 'red-light district' - and now it's all pricey hotels and office high-rises.

Still think they have the "no Right Turns from 10PM till 4 am"signs up around 14th and K and M . Did you live there when they marched all the hookers over the 14th street bridge?? Found this on Wikipedia, last paragragh before the refernce section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Street_Bridge_(Potomac_River)

Edited by plenzmd1

Still think they have the "no Right Turns from 10PM till 4 am"signs up around 14th and K and M . Did you live there when they marched all the hookers over the 14th street bridge?? Found this on Wikipedia, last paragragh before the refernce section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Street_Bridge_(Potomac_River)

Looks like that happened in '89 - I moved to Boston in late '84 but I was there when the plane crashed into the bridge in '82...

Air Florida Flight 90

Very scary - literally about 10 blocks from my office (and the White House, Depts of State, Treasury, etc.). Once we figured out what had happened, a bunch of us ran down to see if we could help but by then you couldn't get near the riverbank. The next day, local shock-jock Howard Stern faked an on-air call to Air Florida and asked, "How much for a one way ticket from National Airport to the 14th Street bridge?" That got him suspended for a few days, and eventually he moved on to NYC and bigger things.

While I lived and worked in DC, I had to walk by dozens of strip clubs multiple time each day, going to & from my office 2 blocks from the White House, and was constantly being solicited by working girls that seemed to be on every corner. That always amused me - that this was all going on only a couple of blocks from Reagan's White House. Back then, you didn't venture much further up 14th than Thomas Circle, which was usually littered with used condoms. Now, I'm told 14th and U is a 'trendy' neighborhood.

All that said, DC is truly one of the world's great cities - filled with power, culture, history, beauty, and Southern charm. WVU - you will LOVE it there!

No real advice. But congrats on the new gig (even if it isn't in one of your preferred places). DC can be a lot of fun, so I think you will be fine.

My favorite DC bar (21st Amendment) burned down. I think it has reopened, but I haven't been since, so I don't know what the deal is.

Garrett's in Georgetown was pretty good, if memory serves me. Decorated with Rhinos. I dig Rhinos.

No real advice. But congrats on the new gig (even if it isn't in one of your preferred places). DC can be a lot of fun, so I think you will be fine.

My favorite DC bar (21st Amendment) burned down. I think it has reopened, but I haven't been since, so I don't know what the deal is.

Garrett's in Georgetown was pretty good, if memory serves me. Decorated with Rhinos. I dig Rhinos.

' Garrett's is named after an investor who helped finance the venture of a great neighborhood restaurant and tavern. This investor also gave us our mascot, the rhinoceros, by loaning a real rhino head that was prominently displayed in our downstairs bar. Today, you are greeted by a fiberglass replica rhino head as soon as your walk in the door. '

Garrett's

I miss the real rhino - we used the horn as a coat hook. Just a block from my home on 29th, Garrett's was basically another room in my house (much like the Red Hat was in Boston, or the North Star in EssEff) - a room where I spent many hours ' unwinding ' !!!

Edited by The Senator

I never, and mean never, ever hung out in Georgetown. Don't know why, just did not. Lack of metro was prolly the biggest reason.Always did my grocery shopping at the Social Safeway though, and bought lots of furniture at the flea market across the street.

WVU, have you thought about an area near the Rockville metro? Lots of development around there as well, cool little area called Rockville Town Center

I never, and mean never, ever hung out in Georgetown. Don't know why, just did not. Lack of metro was prolly the biggest reason.Always did my grocery shopping at the Social Safeway though, and bought lots of furniture at the flea market across the street.

WVU, have you thought about an area near the Rockville metro? Lots of development around there as well, cool little area called Rockville Town Center

I have, little more pricey than over by Wheaton Station. Going to look some more by Rockville because I do really like that area, I'd just like to keep my rent under 2k if I can help it.

Wheaton is not the best neighborhood. Arlington's probably best in terms of commute, being central to damn near everything with good road and metro accessibility. Whatever you do, stay away from Rockville.

Wheaton is not the best neighborhood. Arlington's probably best in terms of commute, being central to damn near everything with good road and metro accessibility. Whatever you do, stay away from Rockville.

HUH???? They got electricity yet where you live????? Wheaton a bad neighborhood???????

I'd love to be in Arlington, but havnt found anything that i like under 2300 ish a month. Gonna go check out Wheaton apartment complex when I go back in a few weeks. Wish this was more of a 9-5 type job so I could live out on the ends of MARC or VRE trains where the rents are a lot lower.

I'd love to be in Arlington, but havnt found anything that i like under 2300 ish a month. Gonna go check out Wheaton apartment complex when I go back in a few weeks. Wish this was more of a 9-5 type job so I could live out on the ends of MARC or VRE trains where the rents are a lot lower.

Looking to rent a house, townhouse, or apartment?

Wife's in real estate; she might know a few people who can help find a rental. I'll ask.

And hell, you can probably buy for less than 2300/mo in this market.