The puritans are taking over the country.

Steely Dan

Here's another that happened locally...

Fired for Facebook?

Personally, I look at it like this, if you are not willing to say something in front of everyone you work with, then why would you post it to your wall and leave your Facebook profile open for everyone to see? Set it to private so only your friends can see it.

I agree...but I still don't think this woman should be fired.

She wasn't fired and I thinkg there is more to this story.

Sorry, I was thrown by this:

"Auburn (WSYR-TV) - Like many people, she was unhappy with her job. She didn't get along with some of her co-workers and thought her managers didn't want to hear her opinions, but instead of keeping her anger about it quiet, an Auburn woman shared her feelings on Facebook. A few days later, she was fired from her job."

Lesson Learned. If you are a teacher, you need to be super careful about having any part of your personal life visable to your students/parents.

While i agree with you that professionals should be extremely careful about what gets posted on facebook, and that most people with it are stupid in what they post, this is above and beyond as what the girl was doing was legal.

Whats the difference if an anal-retentive parent went out to dinner and saw her having margaritas with friends? They could just as easily snap a picture of her and she'd be in the same situation.

We've got to be very careful about keeping private lives private, especially when it involves an adult doing something that is perfectly legal and is not bringing a bad light to her place of employment.

While i agree with you that professionals should be extremely careful about what gets posted on facebook, and that most people with it are stupid in what they post, this is above and beyond as what the girl was doing was legal.

Whats the difference if an anal-retentive parent went out to dinner and saw her having margaritas with friends? They could just as easily snap a picture of her and she'd be in the same situation.

We've got to be very careful about keeping private lives private, especially when it involves an adult doing something that is perfectly legal and is not bringing a bad light to her place of employment.

No argument here and no question it is beyond absurd. But this is the result of a country that has allowed itself to become ruled by lawsuits and 'zero-tolerance' policies. School administrators are too scared to tell some busy-body parent to f--- off so they fire the teacher rather than expose themselves to any legal risk.

That is absurd. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes. At my old job, when we hired people, we were supposed to check their Facebook/MySpace pages...I never felt right about it...one of the reasons I don't work there anymore. The Austin Police is in the news this week, because they are requiring prospective officers to supply their Facebook identities and pass words, along with other "social networks". This is so insane. I don't use Facebook, for just this reason...could you imagine if everyone here had to let their employer know their identity on TSW, and all of their posts were sifted through? Things are getting out of hand...I hope this woman gets her job back, and makes the Harper Valley PTA pay heavily...

When I apply to med schools in 18 months I am deactivating my facebook account until I get an acceptance.

I just remembered something from when I was in high school (mid 80's). It was no secret the teachers all got together the weekend after school was over and had a picnic/party at the local State Park. Any student that was there the same day could see them drinking. There was even a picture of several of them with beers in their hands in one of my yearbooks. No one cared.

I just remembered something from when I was in high school (mid 80's). It was no secret the teachers all got together the weekend after school was over and had a picnic/party at the local State Park. Any student that was there the same day could see them drinking. There was even a picture of several of them with beers in their hands in one of my yearbooks. No one cared.

Oh hell that's nothing. Our school had a senior trip every year in the Catskills. We'd bus to a hotel and check in. Those that were the partiers were taken by bus (with teachers aboard) to get booze to take back to the hotel and we proceeded to get very, very wasted. Now the big difference was that 18 was legal drinking age and most of us were 18 but still it was known by all (including parents ) what went on. Unfortunately our class did get a bit out of had and we were the last ones to have a senior trip. :oops:

Ah yes, the class of '79