Andrew Luck on Jim Rome at 2PM ET

bbb

If the Bills hired that jerk Harbaugh as HC that would officially do it for me as a Bills fan. I can endure the losing, the pitiful performances, but having to watch that arrogant SOB coach my team would be the very end.

Jimbo is that you? Settle down, just easier to smack Harbaugh again if he is in town!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I learn about and see Luck, the more I think that the Bills need to have the first pick in the draft. I just hope that the Panthers, Cowboys etc. can win a few more games (or at least one more than we do).

Sorry, but this team is NOT picking 1st in the 2011 Draft! It will be Carolina or somebody else, not Buffalo.

There will not be another HUGE rookie contract. The CBA is voided after this season and the next draft class will fall under the new CBA which will contain a rookie wage scale with salaries getting completely out of hand. I'm thinking the limit will be set @ about $20-$25 million guaranteed for #1 overall selections. It's still alot of money, but not the $50 million Bradford got.

This is a question I'd need a link for. Not calling you a liar but I've discussed this multiple times and never found out the exact answer...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/20/mort-no-rookie-wage-scale-until-2012/

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article220231.ece

I knew I read somewhere that a rookie cap wouldn't start until 2012. Man I was hoping it would start in 2011. I think the bigger factors for Luck are his draft projection and Harbaugh's future. But it definitely helps to get him out early if 2011 is the last year with huge payouts.

I knew I read somewhere that a rookie cap wouldn't start until 2012. Man I was hoping it would start in 2011. I think the bigger factors for Luck are his draft projection and Harbaugh's future. But it definitely helps to get him out early if 2011 is the last year with huge payouts.

Why would you want it to start in 2011. Isn't our lure that he can get into the league before the cap?

Why would you want it to start in 2011. Isn't our lure that he can get into the league before the cap?

I guess you missed the first part of that post. Again being projected as the first overall pick and Harbaugh likely leaving to coach Michigan after Rodriguez is canned are the two biggest factors that should lead him to jump to the NFL. And while some of the experts have said that a rookie cap won't be in place until 2012, what is there stopping the owners from implementing it in 2011?

And I want a rookie cap in 2011 so that if the Bills' pick busts, it doesn't kill their cap for years. It's also worth a lot in trade, since there would be no $50+M guaranteed attached to it.

I guess you missed the first part of that post. Again being projected as the first overall pick and Harbaugh likely leaving to coach Michigan after Rodriguez is canned are the two biggest factors that should lead him to jump to the NFL. And while some of the experts have said that a rookie cap won't be in place until 2012, what is there stopping the owners from implementing it in 2011?

And I want a rookie cap in 2011 so that if the Bills' pick busts, it doesn't kill their cap for years. It's also worth a lot in trade, since there would be no $50+M guaranteed attached to it.

Like Ive said before, the main reason super high draft picks stay in school is to come back and win a championship. With Stanford there's virtually no chance of that happening.

With that and the other reasons cited I see Luck coming out.

I have to agree I doubt we pick 1st.

I think losing Roscoe is going to be a huge detriment to the offense. Week after week he's made huge catches in 3rd and long situations. With Lee Evans also being hobbled by an injury in practice this week and the running game already struggling it's very possible the offense overall doesn't keep us in games the way it has the past few weeks.

I'm just saying--- with an 0-8 team, things need to go our way in an overwhelming fashion to get off the schneid, and injuries to a major component like Roscoe Parrish decreases our chances of winning a game, IMHO.

Forgive me for not understanding the situation correctly and spreading misinformation. I thopught that if a they voted to lock out the players that the new CBA would be retroactive to cover the upcoming 2011 draft class. :oops:

That article is almost a year old. There's no way the 2011 rookies sign contracts with no CBA in place. plain and simple. And, if they dont sign until a new CBA is in place, then they'll be under a rookie wage scale that will be implemented with the new CBA.

These links are dated. No one knows what will happen for sure. When I roll this this around I come up with this:

If owners know they are going to lockout players why would they sign and pay huge money to rookies that won't play?

They don't lose anything by waiting until the Lockout is over to sign rookies, they own the rights until February.

One of the major issues in the labor negotiations is rookie salary cap, the NFLPA isn't completely opposed to some sort of rookie salary cap. So again why would a team pay the #1 pick 65+ mil in guaranteed money with a huge signing bonus then lock the players out?

That article is almost a year old. There's no way the 2011 rookies sign contracts with no CBA in place. plain and simple. And, if they dont sign until a new CBA is in place, then they'll be under a rookie wage scale that will be implemented with the new CBA.

The second article is less than a month old. And what, specifically, has changed since those articles were written?

The second article is less than a month old. And what, specifically, has changed since those articles were written?

The Problem is both articles have the same source. Chris Mortenson says it won't effect the 2011 draft even though the first line of teh article says that Roger Godell says that 2011 would be the first draft that would possibly be effected. I've seen the Mort Report's info before, and usually he's good but this is a little bit bigger than asking agents and inside sources what they think. This is a negotiation that is in process.

Given that both sides are not opposed to a rookie salary cap, I would be surprised if owners pop off 60 million dollar contracts for 2011, it seems likely that the teams and owners would agree to start the "Proven Performance Plan" in 2011.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-laborquestions090810

Will a new CBA result in an NBA-style rookie wage scale?

You betcha. Again, the union won’t automatically yield on this issue, instead using it as a means of placating owners in exchange for a better overall deal. But in reality, the majority of players believe that the current system – in which the players picked at the very top of the draft receive more guaranteed money than established veteran stars – is a travesty. (For example, this year’s top overall pick, Sam Bradford(notes), got a deal that will guarantee him at least $50 million, more than Brady, a three-time Super Bowl champion, is likely to receive if he and the Patriots reach a deal on a contract extension this week.) Most current players quarrel with the logic behind such a slotting system and aren’t sympathetic to the plight of the future draftees who’ll stand to make less. The players, in fact, have already put forth a proposal that would implement a rookie wage scale, sending a letter to the league last February detailing a “Proven Performance Plan.” The plan called for rookie deals to be reduced in length to three years – the union later said it would agree to a four-year threshold – and created a revenue pool that would fund incentives for players who outperform their contracts (such as the Titans’ Chris Johnson rushing for more than 2,000 yards in his second season) and benefit retired players. Some owners believe that the savings should be spread out to include veterans with low-to-mid-level salaries, providing them with a means of realizing performance bonuses. However the two sides decide to redistribute the money saved, look for the mind-boggling rookie contracts like Bradford’s to disappear under the new CBA.

The Problem is both articles have the same source. Chris Mortenson says it won't effect the 2011 draft even though the first line of teh article says that Roger Godell says that 2011 would be the first draft that would possibly be effected. I've seen the Mort Report's info before, and usually he's good but this is a little bit bigger than asking agents and inside sources what they think. This is a negotiation that is in process.

I still don't see what has changed since the Mort report.

And Goodell doesn't contradict him.

I still don't see what has changed since the Mort report.

And Goodell doesn't contradict him.

I am saying the Mort report has no feet to stand on, its pure conjecture with nothing to back it up.

The Levitre Wang and Wood report says there will be a rookie performance plan in place for 2011 draftees.