Is Aaron Maybin the Worst Bills' Draft Pick of All Time?

God knows there has been an overabundance of Aaron Maybin threads but I don't think this question has been addressed head-on in a thread. Here's my objective criteria in answering the question:

1) How high was the pick? The higher the pick, the bigger the bust.

2) What kind of production did we get out of the guy?

3) Did we pass on any quality players of need in picking the guy?

4) Bonus factors (did we trade up to get him? did we draft him knowing he was severely injured and wouldn't play for two years? of course, nobody's stupid enough to do that!)

By these criteria, you can make a strong case for Maybin being the all-time Bills' bust. He was an awfully high pick (#11); the production we've gotten and almost certainly will get is essentially zero; and we passed up at least four quality players at need positions in selecting him (Orakpo, Cushing, Oher and Matthews).

At least Mike Williams gave us a couple of years as an ok starting right tackle (his problem was that he wasn't Orlando Pace or Anthony Munoz or even Bryant McKinnie). Losman was a horrendous pick but more because of the trade up to get him than anything else.

You really have to go back in Bills' history to find a worse pick. Rueben Gant was a starting tight end for a couple of seasons. I think the only three that rival Maybin are Al Cowlings (#5) '70, Walt Patulski (#1) '72 (special shout out to Fred Swendson 3rd round in '72, #53 overall pick in the draft and got cut in training camp) and Phil Dokes (#12). Dokes was out of the league after two seasons and contributed nothing. My vote - if Maybin is cut next training camp, he will join Phil Dokes as the worst Buffalo Bills draft pick of all time.

1972 was a weak draft year, and looking over the rest of the 1st round, the Bills passed on Ahmad Rashad & Willie Buchanon. (Ironically Rashad ended up playing for the Bills a couple of years later via trade anyway.) But even though there are far better players in other drafts the Bills missed out in while they drafted their first round busts, I still think Walt Patulski is still their worst draft choice ever. He was the #1 pick of the entire draft in '72, and he played only 4 seasons, contributing next to nothing in the way of production, as a defensive end. Just my opinion, and also proving how old I am to remember watching big Walt get blown off the line those 4 seasons, the guy was out of Notre Dame and was actually rated that high on most teams' draft lists, (there was no draft coverage back then or draft "guru's").

The guy was just a walking stiff, and he made Kelsay look like Bruce Smith, if you can believe that.

Other first round misses in my opinion:

Mike Williams-#2 worst pick.

Tom Cousineau-#3 worst pick.

Phil Dokes-#4 worst pick.

Tony Hunter-#5 worst pick.

Tom Ruud-#6 worst pick.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God knows there has been an overabundance of Aaron Maybin threads but I don't think this question has been addressed head-on in a thread. Here's my objective criteria in answering the question:

4) Bonus factors (did we trade up to get him? did we draft him knowing he was severely injured and wouldn't play for two years? of course, nobody's stupid enough to do that!)

By these criteria, you can make a strong case for Maybin being the all-time Bills' bust. He was an awfully high pick (#11); the production we've gotten and almost certainly will get is essentially zero; and we passed up at least four quality players at need positions in selecting him (Orakpo, Cushing, Oher and Matthews).

At least Mike Williams gave us a couple of years as an ok starting right tackle (his problem was that he wasn't Orlando Pace or Anthony Munoz or even Bryant McKinnie). Losman was a horrendous pick but more because of the trade up to get him than anything else.

You really have to go back in Bills' history to find a worse pick. Rueben Gant was a starting tight end for a couple of seasons. I think the only three that rival Maybin are Al Cowlings (#5) '70, Walt Patulski (#1) '72 (special shout out to Fred Swendson 3rd round in '72, #53 overall pick in the draft and got cut in training camp) and Phil Dokes (#12). Dokes was out of the league after two seasons and contributed nothing. My vote - if Maybin is cut next training camp, he will join Phil Dokes as the worst Buffalo Bills draft pick of all time.

Williams (OT), Patulski (DE), Gant (TE) and Cowlings (DE)all played and started. They were just not very good. Gant had a couple of good games but was very inconsistent overall. Tony Hunter (TE) played for a little bit but accomplished little.

Cousineau (LB) - at least he played in the NFL and was worthy of a pick.

The worst picks are the guys that never got on the field and faded out of the league after their first contract: Phil Dokes (DT), Booker Moore (RB), Tom Rudd (LB), Perry Tuttle (WR), and Eric Flowers (DE) top the list. John McCargo (DT) is all set to join this group. Maybin (DE/LB) could be destined to as well.

The list is long and it is littered with defensiuev linemen too.

Edited by Bob in STL

I disagree, Al Cowlings was very productive driving OJ's getaway car.

Flowers was a late 1st round pick, lasted 6 years in the league, started 6 games, and had 5 sacks plus an interception. At this point, I'm not so sure Maybin ever plays in another NFL regular season game.

I think the OP has a solid argument here. At least guys like Patulski and Mike Williams played for some years and made some meaningful contributions here and there. Epic busts no doubt, but it's hard to fault Buffalo's front office for making those picks when they did. Maybin might have had a late first round grade for a few front offices, but was probably a third rounder for the vast majority of credible NFL front offices. No one but the Bills was dumb enough to pick Maybin that high.

I would also generally rate draft busts as more significant the closer they are in time to the present day, as football scouting has gotten much more sophisticated over the years.

Actually I think that the fact that the Bills learned nothing from Richie Lucas to Arron Maybin says a lot about this franchise.

They have not taken advantage of the "innovations" in the scouting world. The Bills drafting expertise is as pathetic in the 21st century as it was in the 20th century.

IIRC Fisher came in eventually, wasn't that good, and waived by Donohoe/Greggo. Went to Rams?

Fischer was as 7th round pick. A 7th rounder pick CANNOT be a bust.

He had an excelent career for a 7th rounder. He had 8.5 sacks for the Ram on Super Bowl team. He had 9 sacks season for the Seahawks too. Greggo gave up on him too soon.

Fischer was as 7th round pick. A 7th rounder pick CANNOT be a bust.

He had an excelent career for a 7th rounder. He had 8.5 sacks for the Ram on Super Bowl team. He had 9 sacks season for the Seahawks too. Greggo gave up on him too soon.

Agreed. we lost so many good players on the D because of Greggo and his "system".

Dont we always say that this person or that person is the worst draft pick ever? Then when that person is gone we pick someone else. look at all of the running backs that sucked they got the chance to play but didnt have the heart and didnt give the team the all. So when maybin is gone who is the next worst one? I guess it will be who ever Sullivan says it is.

Every organization makes drafting mistakes. However, the Bills are the best at doing it. Why?

My thoughts:

1. While we have all bashed the various GMs and Coaches who have been here during these years of famine, only one top dog has been here the whole time: Ralph Wilson. Perhaps that is a factor in this trend continuing.

2. It's a lot easier to pick a "worst bust" when looking at a team that is usually a contender. When you have enough candidates to complete a deck of cards, (as the Bills have,) it becomes a case of "pick one."

3. During the last decade, the "experts" keep calling Bills draft picks a reach, or they point out how many times the team drafts a guy and changes his position. It's okay if this happens occasionally, but not if it happens every year.

Edited by BillsfaninFl

Erik Flowers?

totally agree Erik Flowers takes that prize. As of right now. But Maybin may end up winning. I say this because one, Maybin was drafted higher than Flowers and two, Maybin hasn't gotten as much love action as Flowers.