Gailey's final message to Maybin

gobills28

Maybin was talking all throughout the bye week about how excited he was to be playing in Baltimore. It was his hometown and he had many friends and relatives in for the game. He was pumped to play. What does Gailey do? He makes him a HEALTHY scratch. Take a seat in the suites with your family for this one chump. I think it's a last ditch effort to make Maybin realize he has to step it up or he will be cut. The sad thing is I don't know if it has anything to do with his attitude, I just don't think he has the size and talent to play DE in the NFL. Terrible #1 draft choice. But I like Gailey's style. Sit the bum.

Little did I know I Just checked wgr550 and sure enough they have a story on this. My bad.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain without all the vitriol toward Maybin exactly why he's so bad? On paper this switch to a 3-4 defense should have suited him perfectly. I haven't watched many Bills games this year and don't live in the area to attend camp/preseason/practices

-- At 250lb (or even a bit lighter) I get that he's not a good DE, but he should be the right size for LB

-- He's fast,... he's got to be faster than Chris Kelsay, who's starting

-- He went to Penn State, he's got to be able to tackle

-- As stated above, he seems to have an attitude where he wants to excel

-- If he's too weak, thats a fixable condition given that we've hired 2 hardcore Strength Coaches in the offseason

... so what specifically is the disconnect with this guy??

Can anyone explain without all the vitriol toward Maybin exactly why he's so bad? On paper this switch to a 3-4 defense should have suited him perfectly. I haven't watched many Bills games this year and don't live in the area to attend camp/preseason/practices

-- At 250lb (or even a bit lighter) I get that he's not a good DE, but he should be the right size for LB

-- If he's too weak, thats a fixable condition given that we've hired 2 hardcore Strength Coaches in the offseason

Apparently, no "football sense." He doesn't appear to have a feel for the game. Tremendous athlete, but maybe not a football player.

Apparently, no "football sense." He doesn't appear to have a feel for the game. Tremendous athlete, but maybe not a football player.

But how much of that is... he can't get on the field. I mean the guys not even dressing now. How's he supposed to learn the system and get that feeling for the game if he's sitting on the bench. I'm sure there's more to it that just that. But, it's kinda like how Steve Johnson was a bad WR last year sitting on the bench and now after 6 games, he's looking better and better. Sometimes, players take longer to get that feel for the game.

I had hoped, in a rebuilding year like this, that Maybin would just be left out there to learn. He couldn't be that much worse than the low grade OLBs they're already lining up week to week. But, maybe there's no amount of learning that can help in his case. Sometimes the game needs to slow down for guys, and sometimes it's something they really can't learn. FWIW, I think Stevie Johnson just never got his chance under Jauron. If they didn't draft Hardy in '08 or bring in TO last year I think he might've already gotten his chance.

BUT, Maybin is young enough that, had he stayed in college, he'd only be a senior this year. And men are still adding bulk at his age--- so, it's possible it'll click for him, but I'm not optimistic.

Its just confounding... even if he doesn't have good football sense, he should be at least a Special Teams wrecking machine. A young fast linebacker fits that profile to a tee. Obviously that's not why you draft someone at #11, but it utterly amazes me that he can't at least do that for the team.

Have you watched any games where he has seen any action?

If you have, I don't see how you can ask this question.

He has an excellent first step, a great quick burst. But after that, he has nothing. No skills. He can't even tackle, and tries to go for that big hit and has nothing to bring. Watching him try to rush the passer, he has the 1st step, then beats himself by overextending and overplaying. He has no counter moves. No 2nd, 3rd, and 4th moves all good defensive pass rushers need to get to the QB.

This will be his 3rd season next year. He held out for big bucks. So far, he has shown absolutely nothing to warrant playing time.

And perhaps the most important question you should be asking is: on this horribly scouted Modrak built team such as the Bills, with no proven pass rusher on the roster, how is it that Maybin is not even seeing the field?

If the talent is as bad as we all say it is, what does that say about Maybin if he can't crack the lineup?

Its just confounding... even if he doesn't have good football sense, he should be at least a Special Teams wrecking machine. A young fast linebacker fits that profile to a tee. Obviously that's not why you draft someone at #11, but it utterly amazes me that he can't at least do that for the team.

It's really sad.. the strange thing is, he had 2 sacks against the starting offenses of the Lions and Steelers in preseason last year. Against the Lions he just ran right around the 1st team LT and took down Stafford... and against Pittsburgh he used a spin move inside and busted between the LG and LT to sack Roethlisberger.

That was the 1st (and possibly last) time I thought he might actually make it. I have no idea how he made those plays.

I had hoped, in a rebuilding year like this, that Maybin would just be left out there to learn.

Like he was in the New England game? Or a pre season game?

He will be joining James Hardy where he's playing in the NFL very soon.

Like he was in the New England game? Or a pre season game?

He will be joining James Hardy where he's playing in the NFL very soon.

Like Dan said, I'd have liked to see him get as much playing time as possible to see if he gets it... it's possible they've already seen enough to know he can't or won't. In that case, it's definitely not worth wasting the snaps on a scrub. Especially when Arthur Moats could use them.

Edited by Punch

Nobody with talent plays one, two, or zero plays a game. They have got to be seeing something on film or on the field that is shouting to them that he is incapable of playing the OLB position. Can he bulk up, sure. Will it make a difference, he might not ever see the chance again.

He's not a tremendous athlete...he is light, and plays like a kitty.

He gets manhandled routinely, and can't get off blocks. He belongs in the CFL at best.

He's not a tremendous athlete...he is light, and plays like a kitty.

He gets manhandled routinely, and can't get off blocks. He belongs in the CFL at best.

That has nothing to do with being a tremendous athlete. I said he's not a football player... which is what you're describing. Two different things.

I do not get why Maybin is the whipping boy in so many threads. It's old. Maybin is trying, he has a positive attitude, he is young, there is nothing but upside to him. None of us know how far it will go, if and when he earns his chance.

Why is no one talking about Youboty? I really never understand the logic here!

He gets manhandled routinely, and can't get off blocks. This says it all. He does not fight with his hands at all. No explosion or push into the blocker. Gets engaged and its cver. He should look at films of great 3-4 rushers Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene or Charles Haley and see how they go all out in battle.

Um - He can't play football for one. The measurables are one thing, but he simply cannot put it together.

Like Dan said, I'd have liked to see him get as much playing time as possible to see if he gets it... it's possible they've already seen enough to know he can't or won't. In that case, it's definitely not worth wasting the snaps on a scrub. Especially when Arthur Moats could use them.

He has gotten plenty of time this season already and has shown no improvement. Maybin isn't the only OLB on this team that needs time to learn you know... if he can't even improve a little bit, there are other OLBs out there that are improving. If maybin wants to dress on the field, then he needs to try harder. If he just can't do it, then he is going to be another bust for us which will suck.

It would have been better for us if we didn't draft him and it would have been better for him if he just stayed in school another year.... though if he did that, he might not have been drafted where he was.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I do not get why Maybin is the whipping boy in so many threads. It's old. Maybin is trying, he has a positive attitude, he is young, there is nothing but upside to him. None of us know how far it will go, if and when he earns his chance.

Why is no one talking about Youboty? I really never understand the logic here!

You have to admit, this is probably the most civil Maybin thread at TSW... it's mostly just speculation as to why he can't get on the field, not really much hate.

I'm sure you can understand why people are talking about Maybin and not someone like Youboty, though... Youboty has at least gotten on the field quite a bit and been a regular contributor to both defense and special teams in his 5 seasons, and with Maybin being drafted so high, there are certainly higher expectations for him. Not to mention, every Bills fan and their mother (whom is also likely a Bills fan) had an opinion on which stud should have been drafted in his place, and most of those dudes have turned into good to excellent pros. It's a conversation that will be had ad nauseum until he proves himself or moves on to the UFL. Hopefully, he's just a late bloomer.

He has gotten plenty of time this season already and has shown no improvement. Maybin isn't the only OLB on this team that needs time to learn you know... if he can't even improve a little bit, there are other OLBs out there that are improving. If maybin wants to dress on the field, then he needs to try harder. If he just can't do it, then he is going to be another bust for us which will suck.

It would have been better for us if we didn't draft him and it would have been better for him if he just stayed in school another year.... though if he did that, he might not have been drafted where he was.

Did you notice that in the specific post of mine which you quoted I said Arthur Moats could make better use of those snaps? :P

I think you and I are in agreement on this one, for the most part. :beer: