I think the NFL should consider contraction.

DarthICE

I do like the nice, symmetrical 8 divisions made up of 4 teams and all...but I think the quality of NFL teams have gone down since the arrival of the Panthers, Jags, Texans and Browns. But who would be eliminated? The Jags seem like the only CLEAR choice, but beyond that I would have to think the Bills would come up in a lot of conversations. But contraction isn't happening in the NFL, IMO.

NBA may do it, I think the NFL should go back to 28 teams. Take the 4 least profitable and dissolve them. Fortunately Buffalo was something like 8th in profit last year so we would be safe.

The Bills won't be nearly as profitable once Mr. Wilson passes and the new owners have the huge debt to pay off ... assuming they keep the team in Buffalo. That plus the aging stadium would probably propel them right to the top of your list of candidates.

I do like the nice, symmetrical 8 divisions made up of 4 teams and all...but I think the quality of NFL teams have gone down since the arrival of the Panthers, Jags, Texans and Browns. But who would be eliminated? The Jags seem like the only CLEAR choice, but beyond that I would have to think the Bills would come up in a lot of conversations. But contraction isn't happening in the NFL, IMO.

Me too. Leave it as-is, including 16 games a year and the 8-year schedule.

NBA may do it, I think the NFL should go back to 28 teams. Take the 4 least profitable and dissolve them. Fortunately Buffalo was something like 8th in profit last year so we would be safe.

I worry you may have contracted too many brain cells from your noggin.

:beer:

Fortunately Buffalo was something like 8th in profit last year so we would be safe.

Except the NFL would look at potential profit compared to the other teams. So teams like Dallas, NJ (both of them) and Washington compared to the Bills would hurt the chances of the Bills staying.

I think the NFL should get with the UFL to create a lower division, and then have relegation such as they do in European Futbal. Let the bottom 4 teams from the NFL join the UFL teams for Division II, and then let relegation take care of keeping the NFL's competition as strong as possible.

COME ON, WHO'S WITH ME!?!!! :w00t:

I think the NFL should get with the UFL to create a lower division, and then have relegation such as they do in European Futbal. Let the bottom 4 teams from the NFL join the UFL teams for Division II, and then let relegation take care of keeping the NFL's competition as strong as possible.

COME ON, WHO'S WITH ME!?!!! :w00t:

Would we be subject to watching "Friendlies"?

"Contraction," as mentioned this week by David Stern should be viewed as a less than effective collective bargaining agreement tactic. No one is leaving the NBA because any attempt to contract a franchise would be an invitation to an anti-trust lawsuit by the affected franchise, even if the other owners bought out the team's ownership. The argument can be extended to the NFL and NHL and probably MLB as well. Contraction represents a loss of jobs to a players union by reducing the number of available positions. They are using it as an empty threat to control player costs by negotiating a lower salary cap and/or max contract number. There is no "revenue emergency" in pro sports today, except by teams that are completely mismanaged. Teams that appear completely mismanaged, for example, the Pittsburgh Pirates, are in fact profitable through their own cost controls. No doubt the other leagues saw what was accomplished in the last CBA negotiations in the NHL which, from the players' standpoint, was a total cluster%^&*. They saw the opportunity to use the economic circumstances as an excuse to plead poverty. There is no indication that anyone is suffering who shouldn't be. A 12oz beer still costs $12 at most major league ballparks.

MLB, NHL, NBA, and even the NFL are hopelessly overbuilt. Too many teams, playing too many games, often over a span of time that makes no sense seasonally for the sports they represent. By the time the Stanley Cup has been decided, the snow has melted across northern Canada. Eventually, they'll be playing World Series games in November, they've already played regular season games in March. The women's winter sport started with peach baskets now ends its professional playoffs in June.

If I were a labor negotiator for the players' union in the NFL or any other league would be to say, "You got yourself into this mess, your poor planning is not my problem. You really do need us more than we need you."

Okla City and Memphis. Durant to the Knicks

Considering Okla City is one of the up and coming teams w/ arguably the best player in the NBA on their team already, I couldn't imagine them being one of the teams. Take the Grizz though.

Eventually, they'll be playing World Series games in November, they've already played regular season games in March.

They already have. Last year, Game 4-6 were in November. This year, Game 5-7 are scheduled for November. In 2008, Game 5 was Oct 27th, and in 2007, Game 4 Oct 28th, so those also came close to having November games. 2001 was the first time the Series went into November due to the event of September.

Edited by Just Jack