Cam Newton

Cam Newton looks like an interesting possibility. Mobility to extend plays. The only Q I have for Auburn fans is can he pass the damned ball?

I'm seriously shocked that this isn't a 10 page thread by now. Cam Newton is the most electric player to come out of college football since Bo Jackson. This guy looks even more talented than Jackson, he happens to play the position of quarterback, and though he didn't need to throw much yesterday he does have an NFL arm. Did no one watch that game yesterday? Make no mistake, he will come out early and he will be the #1 pick in the 2011 draft.

I thought Newton played an incredible game yesterday...reminded me of Vince Young v.s. USC when he just completed dominated the game, almost entirely on his own...

They were playing LSU. That was a very painful and boring game to watch. I sure hope they all stay in college another couple of years.

Why not just get Vick in the offseason because he is just as electrifying and a better passer. Cam Newton wouldn't be a terrible option in the draft if we didn't get Vick, though I would rather have Mallett if we are going to draft a QB.

It's a crap shoot. Someone compared Newton to Vince Young, a valid comparison. The best thing for the Bills would be a very mobile QB. The state of our OL dictates that. I have no idea who will be #1. If Newton came out, the Bills would be reaching at #1, but unfortunately, if you want a guy, you have to do that. See Tim Tebow.

Vick would be a great option, especially if he can be had for less that 10-12 mil a year, and we can still use our #1 to fill another need, of which we obviously have plenty. Address the QB through FA by getting a proven QB. Sounds like the smart way to go.

Why not just get Vick in the offseason because he is just as electrifying and a better passer. Cam Newton wouldn't be a terrible option in the draft if we didn't get Vick, though I would rather have Mallett if we are going to draft a QB.

I would never be a bills fan again! that dog killing ****! He sucks at QB and did things that make him not even human anymore that can never be forgiven.

Just figured I'd put that in here to get it out of the way so other people dont have to copy and paste in their essays about how bad of a person vick is.

And I agree with you, Vick would be good. Heck, get Vick AND Newton so we can develop Newton properly.

I heard Kiper on Valvano's overnight espn radio show. He said that if Newton stays in school for another year, he might be the #1 overall pick, and definitely top ten. He said if he comes out now, he'll be late first round.

Said he's got a cannon for an arm, but needs another year of college to become more of a complete QB.

They were playing LSU. That was a very painful and boring game to watch. I sure hope they all stay in college another couple of years.

I agree 100%. That was one of the most boring games I've watched and mostly because the play at QB was subpar for both teams. Newton is a great college player and athlete. The LSU QB was also pretty bad. Bad in terms of throwing the ball.

How about we look for the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, and not the next Vince Young or Bo Jackson (as a poster mentioned above) to play the QB position. If Luck isn't there, pick players at other positions and make a play for him the following year.

I want a friggin QB not a project who "might" be able to throw the ball from the QB position.

I agree 100%. That was one of the most boring games I've watched and mostly because the play at QB was subpar for both teams. Newton is a great college player and athlete. The LSU QB was also pretty bad. Bad in terms of throwing the ball.

How about we look for the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, and not the next Vince Young or Bo Jackson (as a poster mentioned above) to play the QB position. If Luck isn't there, pick players at other positions and make a play for him the following year.

I want a friggin QB not a project who "might" be able to throw the ball from the QB position.

Yeah, who'd want a guy like Vince Young? I'd hate to have a Qb that could only lead us a pathetic 26-13 record (VY's NFL record as a starter).

The answer to Cam Newton as far as being a pro "right now" is hell no. NO period. Pro tight end? Maybe...pro qb? Hell no.

He's not very accurate, simply doesn't have to (and therefore doesn't) read defensive backfields.

He throws what he can as a part of the spread option system which is there for him B/C he's the kind of guy who can run for 200 against a great LSU defense.

Simply put he does absolutely NOTHING that an NFL QB needs to do.

He's a great athlete. Who knows how good he could become in the future. But He's no draft pick we need this year at any spot. Saying things like "Oh Cam Newton is the greatest player since Bo Jackson he should go #1 over all" is simply retard talk...it's Raiders logic...it's the way you get yourself a Jafatass Russel.

PS: Also, he does not look like Vince YOung.

Edited by dayman

The answer to Cam Newton as far as being a pro "right now" is hell no. NO period. Pro tight end? Maybe...pro qb? Hell no.

He's not very accurate, simply doesn't have to (and therefore doesn't) read defensive backfields.

He throws what he can as a part of the spread option system which is there for him B/C he's the kind of guy who can run for 200 against a great LSU defense.

He's a great athlete. Who knows how good he could become in the future. But He's no draft pick we need this year at any spot. Saying things like "Oh Cam Newton is the greatest player since Bo Jackson he should go #1 over all" is simply retard talk...it's Raiders logic...it's the way you get yourself a Jafatass Russel.

He is completing 65% of his passes. A lot of NFL people say that is the toughest thing to teach a NFL QB.

It's his first year as a starter. It's scary to think it, but he will improve. As with the league cracking down on hitting and more spread offenses being used, who's to say that a running Qb might not work at the next level?

I got dizzy reading this post, but your right on, he's not even close to being an NFL QB right now. Tim Tebow looks like Dan Marino in the passing game compared to Cam Newton. Amazing runner though.

I got dizzy reading this post, but your right on, he's not even close to being an NFL QB right now. Tim Tebow looks like Dan Marino in the passing game compared to Cam Newton. Amazing runner though.

For the sake of comparison, Newton is a much better passer than Ryan Mallett was in his first season starting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232016

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007

C.Buscuit can't you see how the offense works though? Why he's able to pass the way he is? Why the offense is unstoppable? Do you think Cam will take a million years in the backfield before picking a hole and trucking someone and running for 200 yards against the Jets? The answer is no. He'd have to get the snap and take 2 seconds and then throw the ball on a line, accurately to someone. That's NOTHING like what he's doing right now.

Edited by dayman

C.Buscuit can't you see how the offense works though? Why he's able to pass the way he is? Why the offense is unstoppable? Do you think Cam will take a million years in the backfield before picking a hole and trucking someone and running for 200 yards against the Jets? The answer is no. He'd have to get the snap and take 2 seconds and then throw the ball on a line, accurately to someone. That's NOTHING like what he's doing right now.

First year starter who is destroying the arguably the best conferences in football that features some of the best defenses. Why is it crazy to think he can't improve his passing as he gains more experience?

He is playing at a Heisman level so it is completely foolish to discount the guy. I know people love to bury players after every game but I love watching him play and hope he becomes a more complete player.

First year starter who is destroying the arguably the best conferences in football that features some of the best defenses. Why is it crazy to think he can't improve his passing as he gains more experience?

He is playing at a Heisman level so it is completely foolish to discount the guy. I know people love to bury players after every game but I love watching him play and hope he becomes a more complete player.

Bury guys after one game? I love the guy! I hope he wins it all...I watched him for years at Florida...he used to go out in the spring game and throw the ball into the ground. Obviously he's gotten better at that...and found a team that is jumping in his bandwagon w/ two feet first and he's doing great. Good for him. It sucks he didn't stay at Florida. In fact it's a dagger in my heart he says his heart is still at Florida and if it were up to him he'd be there right now...(ouch)...but he got in the dog house over a stolen laptop which he threw out of the window when the cops came (and they found in the bushes) haha...and that mixed w/ unfounded love for JOhn Brantely led to his transfer. He even said in the response to a question this year: "Heisman?...you can throw that out the window" lol...

But this is not a 19 year old Tebow doing these things. This is an experienced player. He's been out of high school and coached for a while now...this would be his senior year had he not done the JC thing....naturally all the talents he has are dominating right now and all the talents he struggles with are phased out in scheme and execution. I'm not saying he couldn't get better at passing...or that he doesn't pass fine for the system he's in now...but he's not a passer...guess what ever nfl QB is? A passer.

YOu really want to get excited over a player who doesn't do what he supposed to do at the NFL level naturally? And hasn't done it before? You'll have to take my word for it...but it took Cam at least 3 years to get the level of passing you see now...and the level you see now...isn't the level the NFL wants...and it's close to Cam's top passing ability IMO.

I love the kid hope he proves me wrong but he's not a pick I'd like to see us touch w/ a 10 foot pole.