Cam Newton in the draft?

Thurmonator

What are the odds that we can land this kid in the draft? I live in the south and have seen him play several times. Kid is a beast. Newton at QB with Spiller at RB could be an awesome combination.

You've seen him play for Auburn several times, or for Blinn Junior College? :unsure:

I can't even figure out how many years of eligibility he's got left, what with Florida, a red-shirt season at Florida, Blinn Junior College, and now Auburn - but I think he's started a total of 7 games for a BCS team (he might have had a start at Florida, I'm not sure), so doubt that he's declaring for the 2011 draft. Looks like a solid prospect in 2012, though.

You've seen him play for Auburn several times, or for Blinn Junior College? :unsure:

I can't even figure out how many years of eligibility he's got left, what with Florida, a red-shirt season at Florida, Blinn Junior College, and now Auburn - but I think he's started a total of 7 games for a BCS team (he might have had a start at Florida, I'm not sure), so doubt that he's declaring for the 2011 draft. Looks like a solid prospect in 2012, though.

Thus far I've seen him play against South Carolina, Clemson and Auburn and nobody's been able to stop him. I mean it when I say he's a beast. I'm not saying he fills our biggest need, but he and Spiller could give us a dynamic offense.

Thus far I've seen him play against South Carolina, Clemson and Auburn and nobody's been able to stop him. I mean it when I say he's a beast. I'm not saying he fills our biggest need, but he and Spiller could give us a dynamic offense.

I'll leave that for better football minds to determine, but (1) he's not going to be in this year's draft and (2) even if he was, Nix does not draft college QBs with one season of starting experience.

(I presume you meant you saw him play against Arkansas - Newton plays for Auburn.)

Edited by The Senator

Guest dog14787

he reminds me alot of Randall Cunningham, or possibly Vince Young. At this point I like to see more of him before rushing to judgement.

+1

somebody we should keep our eyes on

Edited by dog14787

I'd like to see him play a little more QB and a little less RB before anointing him a bonafide NFL QB prospect....

See: 129 rushes, 122 pass attempts.

Exactly this. While I do like his arm, it's a small sample size. Unfortunately Malzahn is not going to have him chuck when the offense they've been running has been nearly unstoppable.

I'd like to see him play a little more QB and a little less RB before anointing him a bonafide NFL QB prospect....

See: 129 rushes, 122 pass attempts.

Yeah. I've only seen highlights, but I don't see much if any drop back-progressions-throw. Instead it's dropback - look - scramble - create. I'm not against running QBs, but not until they can run progressions, understand the defense and get it out fast.

Yeah. I've only seen highlights, but I don't see much if any drop back-progressions-throw. Instead it's dropback - look - scramble - create. I'm not against running QBs, but not until they can run progressions, understand the defense and get it out fast.

Same as Locker. That's why I want Luck.

Brilliant!!! JaMarcus Jr.

Awesome analysis buddy, big black Qb=Jamarcus.

Have you ever watched him play? the kid is more like randall cunningham or Vince Young.

Awesome as in Jamarcus Russell and Darren McFadden? :wallbash:

More like our attempt at VY and Chris Johnson

Awesome analysis buddy, big black Qb=Jamarcus.

Have you ever watched him play? the kid is more like randall cunningham or Vince Young.

More like our attempt at VY and Chris Johnson

I will make the fairly obvious assumption that his association was not based on race but rather the fact that they are both big, SEC qbs that are going to suck nuts in the NFL (or did suck nuts in Russels case)

I will make the fairly obvious assumption that his association was not based on race but rather the fact that they are both big, SEC qbs that are going to suck nuts in the NFL (or did suck nuts in Russels case)

I would love to see the Bills at least look at this guy. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders, he's a great leader for Auburn, and he is literally making a legend of himself in the south. I don't see him becoming a Jemarcus Russell type of guy. He made a mistake early in his career at Florida, and has learned from it. He has the tools to become a star.

given his position i might think he does fill our biggest need :D

but i too want to see a little bit more than ive done so far.

that would be obvious if newton were built like Russel, a big lumbering fatass, but he's not, he's a fleet of foot running/dual threat QB just like Cunningham/Young, as I said before. Keeping in mind that Mallett is a big lumbering SEC QB only white, it sounded like the assumption was based on race.

I would love to see the Bills at least look at this guy. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders, he's a great leader for Auburn, and he is literally making a legend of himself in the south. I don't see him becoming a Jemarcus Russell type of guy. He made a mistake early in his career at Florida, and has learned from it. He has the tools to become a star.

Lets not forget that that "mistake" was buying a laptop that turned out to be stolen. Not exactly a Giant wrongdoing IMO, he had no idea it was stolen, no big deal.

I mentioned this guy a couple of weeks ago and the general response is that he is a good college player, but not a legitimate nfl qb. People question that he has more rushing than passing yards. The guy definately has an nfl caliber arm...it just so happens he is forced to run frequently do to both a less than stellar OL and WR's. Trust me I would take 125yds rushing do to being pressured from the d, than take 5-6 sacks a game. I said the guy is like Mike Vick with ethics.

Im not proclaiming him to be the next great nfl qb....but i do think his skills will translate to the nfl. anyone remember when we thought the "wildcat" couldn't work in the nfl?

I mentioned this guy a couple of weeks ago and the general response is that he is a good college player, but not a legitimate nfl qb. People question that he has more rushing than passing yards. The guy definately has an nfl caliber arm...it just so happens he is forced to run frequently do to both a less than stellar OL and WR's. Trust me I would take 125yds rushing do to being pressured from the d, than take 5-6 sacks a game. I said the guy is like Mike Vick with ethics.

Im not proclaiming him to be the next great nfl qb....but i do think his skills will translate to the nfl. anyone remember when we thought the "wildcat" couldn't work in the nfl?

I think he's a Daunte Culpepper / Donovan McNabb type of player with even more athleticism. He's got a couple inches in height and 40 pounds in weight over Vick and Cunningham. I don't know if the league has ever seen a QB this big and athletic. And he's got the leadership and intelligence you look for in a QB as well. Pretty exciting to watch.

Edited by Got_Wood

Thank you. When dip schitts can't argue something they play the race card.... every time.

Cam Newton, Fig Newton... whatever. Those types of QBs, as you suggest, will suck nuts in the NFL. Their value is their athlectic ability and that ability has gotten them to DI football where their coaches use those skills to their advantage and don't develop them beyond that for the next level. In the NFL, You run, you get hit. Hits add up. You better be able to read defenses, manage a game, thread the needle in small windows, and be able to lead.

Thank you. When I can't make a valid comparison, I say something retarded.... every time.

Cam Newton, Fig Newton... whatever. Those types of QBs, as you suggest, will suck nuts in the NFL. Their value is their athlectic ability and that ability has gotten them to DI football where their coaches use those skills to their advantage and don't develop them beyond that for the next level. In the NFL, You run, you get hit. Hits add up. You better be able to read defenses, manage a game, thread the needle in small windows, and be able to lead.

Again, the pros that most closely compare to newton are Randall Cunningham and vince young. As for your comparison, jamarcus russell was anything but mobile. Russell and Newton are completely different QBs, except both are black.

The 2 Qbs he's compared to, have had a fair amount of success, so to say right now that he has no chance is close minded to say the least, and at worst, racially motivated ignorance.

In short, your comparison is stupid, try harder next time.

Again, the pros that most closely compare to newton are Randall Cunningham and vince young. As for your comparison, jamarcus russell was anything but mobile. Russell and Newton are completely different QBs, except both are black.

The 2 Qbs he's compared to, have had a fair amount of success, so to say right now that he has no chance is close minded to say the least, and at worst, racially motivated ignorance.

In short, your comparison is stupid, try harder next time.

Your comparisons are no better than his, and in reality probably worse.

Randall Cunningham is a HOFer because of his passing – not running. Yes he was a mobile QB, but he is also one of the best pure passers in the history of the game. Not to mention he played in an era where the most successful offense was the run and shoot – an offense heavily reliant on mobile QBs – which is not used today.

Second, Vince young was much more of a passer while in college, and a 4 year starter. He threw for over 3000 as a SR and 26 tds. He added 1000 on the ground with 12 TDs. Compare that to Newton how has more RUSHING attempts than passing. Stats aside, watching him vrs Young it was obvious Young was much farther along as a passer.

Newton is more compared to a Pat White or Brad Smith (size aside). How have those guys panned out? (my point here is I would love for the Bills to nad Newton or Pryor to play WR like Smith, not to be an out-of-the-league-in-3-4-years QB)

(my point here is I would love for the Bills to nad Newton or Pryor to play WR like Smith, not to be an out-of-the-league-in-3-4-years QB)

Actually, you made my point... Newton and Pryor are not NFL QBs... will both suck hind tit at QB in the NFL. Even you admit that.

WR? Total speculation and more hope than anything. They ain't gonna get large coin for starting out at WR in the NFL... they'll have to earn it. I doubt big DI top 20 hot shots like Newton and Pryor are gonna want to take the long road instead of the express lane. And, Brad Smith doesn't even start. He's like the Jets 4th receiver. He's a gimmick player that only upper echelon teams can afford to keep on their roster.

I’m not really sure what you are getting at, I have been on your side of this argument since the beginning?

Also, I never said take one of those guys early. But if we are going to spend a later round pick on a WR it might as well be a 6-5 230lber who can run a (reported) 4.3 and has made a pretty damned good catch in a big game (Pryor). Maybe he never becomes anything more than a 3rd-4th WR, but its worth a shot.