What is wrong with America?

MClem06

I was listening to a popular local radio talk show host in Florida. He hit the nail right on the head with a not so PC term that he made up called the Pussification of America. He was referring to at the time how disciplining your child by spanking had become so scrutinized in parenting or how bad parents have actually become with parenting in general not that he claimed to be such a genious at it. It's really very true. When I was a child i was only spanked 2 times in my childhood and not beaten spanked just sting spanked. I don't recall anything obviously happening very early on but I do remember why i was spanked those two times and I'm now thirty. I was 8 and 10. Once at 8 for stealing a toy from my sister when she was playing with it then when my parents told me to give it back i threw a fit and threw it at her and hit her in the head with it. I must say it was well deserved and it instilled a fear of my father that otherwise I had always somewhat had because he was tough on discipline. When my mom said, i'll tell your father what you are doing if you don't stop... I stopped. Obviously kids who are born into abusive families should have this known and not have to deal with it but as the talk show host put it, it's not the 21st century way to use hard discipline, it's the go sit in a corner and when you are done being bad then you can have your toys back. What happens... the kid does it again. Anyways the point of this whole post was to just say that his "pussification of america" has now been instilled in the NFL with the slap on the hands fines for hard hitting. I agree that there are some hits that are just blatant where the player missles with their helmet at the other player's head. That's fine, i agree with the rule there but incidental contact has been committed more times than not where a guy is just trying to make a play. Concussions happen in the nfl every year. Who are you commissioner to tell them to stop hitting so hard? It's freaking football for crying out loud!!!

As for the spanking vs. the undisciplined child with the PC parents and how that even ties into this rant... I do believe that there should be a no tolerance policy for these atheletes. 1 and done. What is wrong with that. There are plenty of college kids who are looking for a shot to make an NFL roster. Why should the High talent low character player reap the rewards if he is going out and getting caught with drugs or with guns or Hitting someone while intoxicated (Lynch) and driving off? OK too harsh? 1 chance to rebound and the one time you do screw up make the penalty more than just a sit in the corner for 2 games and when you come back you can play with your toys again. How about when you screw up once, you get DQ'd for the regular season without pay and if you do it again you're gone. Now i realize they are pulling some of their talent from not so nice neighborhoods and some of the Gangster mentality ensues but why do we pay a gangster millions of dollars just so we can watch him run 100 yards on a football field if he's going to then use the money to buy drugs, influence others to do bad or be a negative role model for young kids. I get so angry with teams that rehire players that A)Don't have a tough work ethic B) dont' have a team mentality C) have done wrong over and over D) Have 9 kids with 8 different women (Pacman Jones, Travis Henry, Haynesworth, Lynch and Probably a handful of others i can't even think of right now but i'm sure you know a few. Now you may say, wait so what a guy does off the field matters including how many kids they have with different women? What happens to morality, family morals, teaching your kid it isn't right to go off and be irresponsible. Maybe I'm old fashioned for 30 but I hate what's happend with "system" now. Both family life and quality people have suffered by their idols, these players that are 'stars' or just TV stars in general that are jackasses off the field/screen.

MC.

MClem06 -- after 10 years of lurking on this board, I've finally come upon that elusive comment from which I cannot ignore.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I admire your fire, dear sir.

I, too, am unsure as to what is wrong with America, but somewhere, in your confused logic, there is most likely an answer. Godspeed, kind sir. Godspeed.

I don't think the rule change has as much to do with pussification (a very real problem in this country), as much as it has to do with the death of common sense (an even bigger problem).

I don't understand why the NFL didn't simply suspend Meriwether (I didn't see the other hits but they didn't sound as blatant) for headhunting and leave it at that. Why the need for a big reinterpretation of the rules?

... instilled in the NFL with the slap on the hands fines for hard hitting. I agree that there are some hits that are just blatant where the player missles with their helmet at the other player's head. That's fine, i agree with the rule there but incidental contact has been committed more times than not where a guy is just trying to make a play. Concussions happen in the nfl every year. Who are you commissioner to tell them to stop hitting so hard? It's freaking football for crying out loud!!!

"Hitting hard" is NOT what's being punished.

The Sapp hit on Clifton was not a helmet hit. It should nonetheless have drawn a fine. We'll see how this is implemented. If it is called too much, that would be a problem. I don't expect many calls or that it will be a problem.

Pussification of America is a term created by the late George Carlin many moons ago. That hack on the radio stole it.

You beat me too it. :)

However, there were plenty of parents who routinely beat their kids, which caused a backlash against discipline. Now we have swung the pendulum the other way so far that you can't even slap their wrists or yell at them (verbal abuse). Look what society has degenerated into? Our prisons are overflowing with kids who if disciplined earlier, wouldn't be there. We wouldn't have primadona's on the playing field either.

Now everyone expects an entitlement and have no concern except for themselves.

A bad parent hitting their child is still a bad parent. Spanking the child doesn't make the child more obedient, just makes them physically afraid of their parent. Not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I would never hit my child and despite having severe ADD he has never been a discipline problem in any respect. It takes effort to raise a child. Hitting them is a frustrated coward's solution.

I think someone needs to beat you into using paragraphs....unless a light spanking will do the trick.

Oh, and using spanking children as an approach to teaching them as a comparison to violent hits that lead to knocking someone out is just nonsense. A more appropriate comparison would be to old school coal miners....they used to deal with workplace conditions that led to a significantly reduced life expectancy including terrible diseases like black lung disease.

This is only the start. With all of the recent findings on the severity of head trauma and the medical condition of ex-players, the legal and medical costs of the current NFL model are a huge risk and must be changed quickly. Sorry, but your nostalgic view of the joys of big hits will take a back seat to the financial realities of life in a non-third world nation. With that being said, there is always the ufc...

I think it has way more to do with things like television and the false expectations TV has generated in peoples minds, but some (usually the angry and simple-minded) like to point to a lack of corporal punishment.

Dude, if you played in a NFL game, even with the new rules enforcement, you would most likely be wheeled off the field.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I was spanked as a child when i deserved it. I knew i deserved it and it didn't deter me from growing up to be a somewhat decent adult. If a child can't take a good spanking when it's called for then what is this world coming to?

Geez future lil kids, grow a set and take a good spanking when you're bad. Learn to grow big and strong. Set the bar higher. Grow some thick skin.

I think someone needs to beat you into using paragraphs....unless a light spanking will do the trick.

Oh, and using spanking children as an approach to teaching them as a comparison to violent hits that lead to knocking someone out is just nonsense. A more appropriate comparison would be to old school coal miners....they used to deal with workplace conditions that led to a significantly reduced life expectancy including terrible diseases like black lung disease.

This is only the start. With all of the recent findings on the severity of head trauma and the medical condition of ex-players, the legal and medical costs of the current NFL model are a huge risk and must be changed quickly. Sorry, but your nostalgic view of the joys of big hits will take a back seat to the financial realities of life in a non-third world nation. With that being said, there is always the ufc...

I generally agree. In my experience with raising/training kids(which is simply my experience and should inform decisions which individuals make a long with gathering a bunch of other experiences and then applying them to the specific case you are in charge of rather than taking them as an ideological rule which simply does not apply in all cases) some form of corporal punishment MAY be appropriate in a particular situation (for example it may be a useful tool at times when one wants to send an extra serious message that the child should not do something that will hurt them a lot or have them hurt others).

However, spanking when used as a management tool to force a specific short-term action from a kid is usually a pretty poor management tool and in the long run self-defeating.

When the kid learns he can survive the spanking, your only choice to force an action from a kid is to escalate the level of violence of the spanking to eventually become a beating. Alternately the kid simply loses his fear and the parent is either judged to be impotent (if they will only go so far with the beatings) or judged to not care for the kid (if they are willing to escalate the spankings to beatings)

The right to spank a kid should never be turned over to another person (otherwise the kid correctly will not trust the parent to protect them) and can be a useful tool in the case where the kid is doing something that might get him/her killed or they might kill/hurt someone else without a justification of an immediate threat of death/hurt.

In general if one has to spank a kid it is a sign that the adult has lost control of the kid using voice commands or fear of disapproval.

Spanking is on rare situations may be the right thing to do, (really once or twice in a lifetime from my experiences with parenting and leading 8 or so kids on 12 day Outward Bound Wilderness trips 12 times).

If one has to resort to physically chastising a kid rather than mentally controlling this juvenile it is usually a sign of an incompetent (or childlike) adult.

I was listening to a popular local radio talk show host in Florida. He hit the nail right on the head with a not so PC term that he made up called the Pussification of America. He was referring to at the time how disciplining your child by spanking had become so scrutinized in parenting or how bad parents have actually become with parenting in general not that he claimed to be such a genious at it. It's really very true. When I was a child i was only spanked 2 times in my childhood and not beaten spanked just sting spanked. I don't recall anything obviously happening very early on but I do remember why i was spanked those two times and I'm now thirty. I was 8 and 10. Once at 8 for stealing a toy from my sister when she was playing with it then when my parents told me to give it back i threw a fit and threw it at her and hit her in the head with it. I must say it was well deserved and it instilled a fear of my father that otherwise I had always somewhat had because he was tough on discipline. When my mom said, i'll tell your father what you are doing if you don't stop... I stopped. Obviously kids who are born into abusive families should have this known and not have to deal with it but as the talk show host put it, it's not the 21st century way to use hard discipline, it's the go sit in a corner and when you are done being bad then you can have your toys back. What happens... the kid does it again. Anyways the point of this whole post was to just say that his "pussification of america" has now been instilled in the NFL with the slap on the hands fines for hard hitting. I agree that there are some hits that are just blatant where the player missles with their helmet at the other player's head. That's fine, i agree with the rule there but incidental contact has been committed more times than not where a guy is just trying to make a play. Concussions happen in the nfl every year. Who are you commissioner to tell them to stop hitting so hard? It's freaking football for crying out loud!!!

As for the spanking vs. the undisciplined child with the PC parents and how that even ties into this rant... I do believe that there should be a no tolerance policy for these atheletes. 1 and done. What is wrong with that. There are plenty of college kids who are looking for a shot to make an NFL roster. Why should the High talent low character player reap the rewards if he is going out and getting caught with drugs or with guns or Hitting someone while intoxicated (Lynch) and driving off? OK too harsh? 1 chance to rebound and the one time you do screw up make the penalty more than just a sit in the corner for 2 games and when you come back you can play with your toys again. How about when you screw up once, you get DQ'd for the regular season without pay and if you do it again you're gone. Now i realize they are pulling some of their talent from not so nice neighborhoods and some of the Gangster mentality ensues but why do we pay a gangster millions of dollars just so we can watch him run 100 yards on a football field if he's going to then use the money to buy drugs, influence others to do bad or be a negative role model for young kids. I get so angry with teams that rehire players that A)Don't have a tough work ethic B) dont' have a team mentality C) have done wrong over and over D) Have 9 kids with 8 different women (Pacman Jones, Travis Henry, Haynesworth, Lynch and Probably a handful of others i can't even think of right now but i'm sure you know a few. Now you may say, wait so what a guy does off the field matters including how many kids they have with different women? What happens to morality, family morals, teaching your kid it isn't right to go off and be irresponsible. Maybe I'm old fashioned for 30 but I hate what's happend with "system" now. Both family life and quality people have suffered by their idols, these players that are 'stars' or just TV stars in general that are jackasses off the field/screen.

MC.

Actually I cant think of any?

Travis Henry...maybe!

Pacman Jones has 1 daughter.

Albert Haynesworth has 2 sons and 1 daughter.

Marshawn Lynch has ZERO kids as far as I know.

Where do you get your information? :wallbash:

What is wrong with America? The technification of America is what's wrong w/ America. Too much information (or psuedo-information), available to too many people, at warp speed results in major bouts of conclusion jumping, media talking head-itis, and just plain info burn-out.

Slow down, keep it local, check facts, make your own determination.

Edited by Keukasmallies

i was helping my sister move into a new home where the front door was about twenty feet from a blind turn in the road. all the boxes had been moved in and we were just rearranging things, so my three year old nephew was running around. he seemed to have a fascination with the road and we told him a million times to stay away from it. we even explained to him that he would get hurt and it could be extremely 'ouchie' for him to go near it. the adults all were watching him closely, plus we had a hook lock on the screen door to keep him from getting out. my brother in law went outside to get something we left behind, came in and put the item down

when i turned around literally seconds later my nephew was gleefully dancing right on the double yellow line in the middle of the street - and very happy to be there

i dont agree with spanking in 99% of cases. but in that instance i changed my view on a complete moratorium on spanking. if that was my kid i would have spanked him until his little butt was throbbing and beaming red. and my brother in law sure as hell did. i didnt feel sorry for my nephew one tiny bit while he was getting the **** spanked out of him. in fact, i wanted to take a few licks myself

logic doesnt get thru to children. but stinging pain sure the hell does. needless to say he stayed the hell away from that road after that

There is nothing wrong with America. Screeds like this are sort of a less insane version of "the end is near" or "the sky is falling" notion that things are just so, so, so bad. America is not perfect and no one, least of all me, can solve all of its problems with perfection. One thing is for sure though, a single, overall, one size fits all diagnosis of everything that is wrong with America is no answer at all. It is however, a simplification that appeals to those who earnestly want things to be better but lack the time and the ability to get down to the nitty gritty of each individual problem and try to solve it. Problems are complex things, if they were easy to diagnose and solve, we would have done it.

There is certainly an element of the past being better than the present in this kind of thinking. Of course, the good things about the past stick out and the bad things are forgotten so that the past always wins out over the present. I for one think we live in an age of wonders and that there very likely has not been a better time in all of our history to be an American. Getting tougher is an idea which is pretty timeless, it always sounds so good, especially if the counterpart to the "tough" solution is a "weak" solution. But I would argue that the real counterpart to tough is not weakness (or the sexist version of it "pussification") the counterpart to tough is compassionate. One can be strong and empathetic, one can be strong and sympathetic, one can be strong and compassionate.

On a side note, as for the sexist thing, I understand that nothing sexist at all was meant by the poster. However "kitty" is slang for female genitalia and has, for many years, been used by men, including me frankly, as a go to metaphor for weakness. But half the population has one of those and I don't know about the women you guys know but the women I know are not weak at all. Quite the contrary. Though unintentional, it does send the message that women are weak, so weak in fact that being compared to one or even part of one, is the ultimate insult for a man. It is an insult though here I am sure it's not meant as one. It is a relic of the past when such sexism was so universal that it was hardly noticed. Maybe, like terms such as "groovy", "daddy-o" and "23 skidoo", its time to send "kitty" into retirement. I suggest that if you really want a metaphor for weakness, the Bills run defense, as in "weak as", would do the trick pretty well, at least around here.

i was helping my sister move into a new home where the front door was about twenty feet from a blind turn in the road. all the boxes had been moved in and we were just rearranging things, so my three year old nephew was running around. he seemed to have a fascination with the road and we told him a million times to stay away from it. we even explained to him that he would get hurt and it could be extremely 'ouchie' for him to go near it. the adults all were watching him closely, plus we had a hook lock on the screen door to keep him from getting out. my brother in law went outside to get something we left behind, came in and put the item down

when i turned around literally seconds later my nephew was gleefully dancing right on the double yellow line in the middle of the street - and very happy to be there

i dont agree with spanking in 99% of cases. but in that instance i changed my view on a complete moratorium on spanking. if that was my kid i would have spanked him until his little butt was throbbing and beaming red. and my brother in law sure as hell did. i didnt feel sorry for my nephew one tiny bit while he was getting the **** spanked out of him. in fact, i wanted to take a few licks myself

logic doesnt get thru to children. but stinging pain sure the hell does. needless to say he stayed the hell away from that road after that

Agreed, the only time I have ever spanked my kids was on safety issues where getting through to them could't wait, where a very strong message had to be sent and in a hurry. There are better was to teach kids but sometimes there simply isn't the time to do that. I was at a bonfire once and all the kids were going to the woods near by to get stick and then running back to the fire and throwing the sticks in. This was in the dark with wood and other debris from setting up the fire was strewn all over the lawn. I saw two kids trip and fall on their faces while running towards that fire and were just lucky that they fell short of the flames. I didn't have kids then but I listened to these parents trying to explain the danger to 5 year olds and it was a lost cause. A whack on the fanny would have stopped that crap right away. I couldn't stand it anymore and played catcher in the rye the rest of the night positioning myself between those kids and fire. By the way, trust me on this one, drinking and bonfires don't mix.

I was spanked as a child when i deserved it. I knew i deserved it and it didn't deter me from growing up to be a somewhat decent adult. If a child can't take a good spanking when it's called for then what is this world coming to?

Geez future lil kids, grow a set and take a good spanking when you're bad. Learn to grow big and strong. Set the bar higher. Grow some thick skin.

It's not so much that the children that can't take it, but other adults find out that parents spank their kids and turn it into a domestic violence case. When spanking is used as punishment for the child doing something legitimately wrong, I have no problem with it. It's not supposed to be used to instill fear of being hurt, but fear of being embarrassed. The pussification we're talking about is when the other adults can't handle it.

I was and I'm sure many of my friends were spanked in their childhood. Pretty much all of us turned out just fine. For those who didn't, it probably had little or nothing to do with spanking.

What is wrong with America? The technification of America is what's wrong w/ America. Too much information (or psuedo-information), available to too many people, at warp speed results in major bouts of conclusion jumping, media talking head-itis, and just plain info burn-out.

Good term... pseudo-information. Some might call most of it misinformation. The tricky part of all this technology is not to let it do the thinking for you.

What’s wrong with America? If you haven’t, I’d suggest reading ‘The Fourth Turning’ by Strauss and Howe. Their work suggests history runs in cycles with 4 distinct periods in each cycle and we’re simply entering the 4th period when things unravel.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+fourth+turning&sprefix=the+fourth+turning

If you haven’t, I’d suggest reading ‘The Fourth Turning’ by Strauss and Howe. Their work suggests history runs in cycles with 4 distinct periods in each cycle and we’re simply entering the 4th period when things unravel.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+fourth+turning&sprefix=the+fourth+turning

Have you seen Generation Zero?

On a side note, as for the sexist thing, I understand that nothing sexist at all was meant by the poster. However "kitty" is slang for female genitalia and has, for many years, been used by men, including me frankly, as a go to metaphor for weakness. But half the population has one of those and I don't know about the women you guys know but the women I know are not weak at all. Quite the contrary. Though unintentional, it does send the message that women are weak, so weak in fact that being compared to one or even part of one, is the ultimate insult for a man. It is an insult though here I am sure it's not meant as one. It is a relic of the past when such sexism was so universal that it was hardly noticed. Maybe, like terms such as "groovy", "daddy-o" and "23 skidoo", its time to send "kitty" into retirement. I suggest that if you really want a metaphor for weakness, the Bills run defense, as in "weak as", would do the trick pretty well, at least around here.

I think this paragraph is an example of what the OP was talking about. When we're too scared to allow free speech, no matter how "offensive," we're officially pussified.

This is a large part of it. That and consumerism. People in this country have gotten into an immediate gratification syndrome that gets worse and worse everyday.

Nothing wrong with wanting or getting things. But that doesn't mean they can be gotten overnight.

There is nothing wrong with America. Screeds like this are sort of a less insane version of "the end is near" or "the sky is falling" notion that things are just so, so, so bad. America is not perfect and no one, least of all me, can solve all of its problems with perfection. One thing is for sure though, a single, overall, one size fits all diagnosis of everything that is wrong with America is no answer at all. It is however, a simplification that appeals to those who earnestly want things to be better but lack the time and the ability to get down to the nitty gritty of each individual problem and try to solve it. Problems are complex things, if they were easy to diagnose and solve, we would have done it.

There is certainly an element of the past being better than the present in this kind of thinking. Of course, the good things about the past stick out and the bad things are forgotten so that the past always wins out over the present. I for one think we live in an age of wonders and that there very likely has not been a better time in all of our history to be an American. Getting tougher is an idea which is pretty timeless, it always sounds so good, especially if the counterpart to the "tough" solution is a "weak" solution. But I would argue that the real counterpart to tough is not weakness (or the sexist version of it "pussification") the counterpart to tough is compassionate. One can be strong and empathetic, one can be strong and sympathetic, one can be strong and compassionate.

Agreed, the only time I have ever spanked my kids was on safety issues where getting through to them could't wait, where a very strong message had to be sent and in a hurry. There are better was to teach kids but sometimes there simply isn't the time to do that. I was at a bonfire once and all the kids were going to the woods near by to get stick and then running back to the fire and throwing the sticks in. This was in the dark with wood and other debris from setting up the fire was strewn all over the lawn. I saw two kids trip and fall on their faces while running towards that fire and were just lucky that they fell short of the flames. I didn't have kids then but I listened to these parents trying to explain the danger to 5 year olds and it was a lost cause. A whack on the fanny would have stopped that crap right away. I couldn't stand it anymore and played catcher in the rye the rest of the night positioning myself between those kids and fire. By the way, trust me on this one, drinking and bonfires don't mix.

Exactly. Corporal punishment (aka a spanking in its most appropriate form) seems pretty clearly to be the right thing to do under certain circumstances and a broad claim that one should never ever strike a child in all cases seems incorrect to me.

An irony here is that these ideological claims that there is only one way to do this correctly is generally the field of the PC, liberal, or touchy-feely parts of our species. However, it is the same problem of insisting on ideology over reality which is a central problem in the views of the ideologues over reality crew which makes up the right wing in this world.

If one wanted a straight answer to what is wrong with America, then my answer would be EXTREMISM.

We see this extremism both embodies in the lunacy of lefto crowd which claims no parent should ever spank their kid or promotes a thought police view of the world where no one can risk saying something that MIGHT offend someone else.

However, the folks who advocate a doctrinaire right win view and demand ideology over reality are equally as guilty as the leftos among us. Quite frankly take your pick from the Sharon Angles, Christine O'Donnells, and Joe Millers of the world, the Tea Party is a neat idea of people taking an active role in politics but it has been overrun and empowers the nuts in the world.

Perhaps there is someway to empower and organize a radical middle in the US which yes always questions authority, BUT just as fervently listens to the answers given to their questions and then works hard to find a mid-point solution which pisses off the folks who seem to hold doctrinaire views like the original poster of this thread, but also pisses of the far left as well.

I don't think the rule change has as much to do with pussification (a very real problem in this country), as much as it has to do with the death of common sense (an even bigger problem).

I don't understand why the NFL didn't simply suspend Meriwether (I didn't see the other hits but they didn't sound as blatant) for headhunting and leave it at that. Why the need for a big reinterpretation of the rules?

Amen, Meriwether's hit was flagrant...give him 8 games off to think about it. And, the next time, FINIS, end of career. That will stop the worst of the hits. Some of these are incidental....some non thinking , but on purpose in the contest of a big hit. But, the Meriweather hit...was flagrant..the objective was head to head contact. Another one from him should be a lifetime suspension.

It is amazing that in an age where you have 24/7 news and info channels and the internet publishing articles in minutes, you'd think people were more educated, more knowledgeable about any particular issue. But, in the rush to get everything online or on tv asap; there seems to be a severe lack of in-depth reporting. Even the in-depth analysis seems to just be "experts" shouting at each other in some psuedo debate. End result probably isn't a dumber society necessarily; but certainly a mis-informed society that is much more easily swayed.

Amen, brother.

It is amazing that in an age where you have 24/7 news and info channels and the internet publishing articles in minutes, you'd think people were more educated, more knowledgeable about any particular issue. But, in the rush to get everything online or on tv asap; there seems to be a severe lack of in-depth reporting. Even the in-depth analysis seems to just be "experts" shouting at each other in some psuedo debate. End result probably isn't a dumber society necessarily; but certainly a mis-informed society that is much more easily swayed.

perhaps that and todays news, especially in the online era, has become opinion with scattering of facts. I mean there have been studies that show viewers of certain programs understand less about current events.

So either those viewers are not as bright or they are only getting their information from certain sources.

The line between news and opinion has been so blurred it may never come back (news doesnt get ratings)

As a teacher, I see a massive loss of interpersonal skills because nobody has face to face contact anymore. Kids and adults alike can hide behind their cell phones or computers and the art of conversation is lost. It's extremely sad to witness at the grass roots level.

As a teacher, I see a massive loss of interpersonal skills because nobody has face to face contact anymore. Kids and adults alike can hide behind their cell phones or computers and the art of conversation is lost. It's extremely sad to witness at the grass roots level.

That's a hugely important point that doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves.

Maybe someone can write a blog about it. :D

I've noticed that America's decline coincides with about the time the Patriots* won a Super Bowl

The Patriots also happened to win the Superbowl a few months after 9/11...

So what you're saying is the 9/11 Conspiracy was masterminded by Bill Bellicheck to boost patriotism and get people to support a team like "The Patriots" and then was helped by the NFL to obtain defensive calls from the other teams. Then as our heroes (the Bills) lay dormant for a decade America crumbles and The Patriots and Bill Bellicheck are chillin', living the good life at the side of the Freemasons? Somebody call Nicholas Cage and the Disney Company. I smell a National Treasure sequel.

National Treasure : Tom Brady is a Terrorist

I think next I will call up Michael Bay and we can make a movie about Trent Edwards and Jay Cutler getting sacked all the time. Just add the explosions.

It's not so much that the children that can't take it, but other adults find out that parents spank their kids and turn it into a domestic violence case. When spanking is used as punishment for the child doing something legitimately wrong, I have no problem with it. It's not supposed to be used to instill fear of being hurt, but fear of being embarrassed. The pussification we're talking about is when the other adults can't handle it.

I was and I'm sure many of my friends were spanked in their childhood. Pretty much all of us turned out just fine. For those who didn't, it probably had little or nothing to do with spanking.

You're right. Also I think Hplarrm and Meathead brought up some good points as well. I don't believe that spanking should be used in every case. In fact it's a last quick resort. In an ideal society talking it through with a child should suffice. That's wishful thinking though. As Meathead said not all children are logical.

You hit the nail on the head when stating that too many adults are quick to turn in parents.

The problem with America is laziness, the fact we jump to conclusions too fast without bothering to get all the facts, people not willing to find a middle ground, thinking one's own view is always correct and not considering all viewpoints before making a decision... Actually too many problems to list.

Ok time for me to think of the positive qualities in people. This list is long as well.

I hope all us Bills fans have a great day today :thumbsup:

Edited by Pilsner

Describes exactly what is wrong with America, but probably not how you intended.

I agree that too much technology has hurt the modern world, making us not as good a people as past generations. Our children have it a bit too easy and feel a bit too entitled (12 yr olds that feel they have a "right" to have a cell phone) and don't have to work as hard for stuff.

And there's too many children in general. Too many dumb parents who have kids that they can't really afford to support and raise properly. A general problem of overpopulation. This sounds evil but if a lot of people died off, the people who remained would have more space, more jobs, less crime to deal with, etc.

The best thing that could happen to us would be if Canada and Mexico randomly decided to invade and we get into a massive land war with them that kills off a nice segment of our population. It might suck for those who died but the people who remain probably live better.

A bad parent hitting their child is still a bad parent. Spanking the child doesn't make the child more obedient, just makes them physically afraid of their parent. Not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I would never hit my child and despite having severe ADD he has never been a discipline problem in any respect. It takes effort to raise a child. Hitting them is a frustrated coward's solution.

I agree completely. I have raised two children who are in college and will be successful adults. I never spanked them once in their lives. I took away privileges for misbehaving, and that was all that was needed. For my son, it was the threat of taking away his playstation or xbox to get him to behave correctly. As a parent you have to find the magic button that will get the child to cooperate.