CBSsports Team Report/4-3 defense

Cash

I guess I'll defer judgment until I see them play Sunday, but I can't help but wonder... is this coaching staff just :censored: with us? Can they really think that's the best lineup and use of players? I'm betting they all wear shoes with velcro straps.

Riiiiight...because what we were doing was working so well and this is supposed to take us to another level of failure?

I think it makes sense. I have a question about Kelsey being the guy, but I like our strong front four.

I am sad to see us move away from the 3-4 as a concept, but we don't have the personnel yet to make it work. We could keep trying it on our way to 0-16 in the hopes that learning for the guys who won't be replaced would be valuable for next year, but I think being run over the way we have been and being the league laughing stock is worse, so if four big bodies up front helps us perform better, we can ease our way into a future 3-4 when we get the people to make it work.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

D line Kelsey Stroud Williams Edward

LB POZ DAvis (MAybin and the 12th man)

Probably the best we can do. Liabilities MAybin and Kelesy, but at least there not on the same side. Oh yea and troup will be back up to Stroud and williams if they get tired.

Edited by b stein 22

I think Wilson barked at Nix and Gailey to change the defense after the blacked out game against Jags. 10,000+ empty seats is a lot of money for Wilson to lose every week.

Probably told them to screw their defense, we need a win now to keep fans coming out.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Take a look at the linebackers we're using in our new 4-3 alignment:

Inside Slant

Does this make sense to anyone? I have two specific questions:

1.) If the opponent is in a run set but passes anyway (play-action/audible/whatever), can this front stop them?

2.) If the opponent runs anyway, can this front stop them?

I think #1 is a massive, massive NO, and #2 is probably a no as well, but I'd like to see it in action first.

Nothing else has worked so far and I'm pretty sure this is just a sub package, so who cares? Maybe they'll get better at it and if not, we'll hopefully get soem ebtter players next year. Hell, maybe they even get better in all these packages as they play in them more: novel idea.

This looks like a desperate plan to try to stop the run. Doubtful it will work. Todd Heap will have a field day. :cry:

At least Gailey/Edwards is trying something..At least the coach is trying to do what he can with the "talent" on hand to make them effective. That being said, and it seems like lipstick on a pig to me, but I do believe the coaches know the "talent" better than us and are lining them up that way for a logical reason.

Nothing else has worked so far and I'm pretty sure this is just a sub package, so who cares?

yeah I thought this was just the "heavy-line" package as well. Hope they still play some 3-4, to get the rooks + Maybin some 3-4 exp.

Inside Slant

1.) If the opponent is in a run set but passes anyway (play-action/audible/whatever), can this front stop them?

I think #1 is a massive, massive NO, and #2 is probably a no as well, but I'd like to see it in action first.

it's a defensive wildcats b*tches.

the league is about to change before our very eyes...

The only way Kelsay's extension makes any kind of sense is if they get him back to a DE role in a 4-3. By installing a new 4-3 alignment and still leaving Kelsay at OLB makes even less sense than giving him an extension to start with. What the hell is going on around here?

It's business as usual: the front office and the coaching staff are completely disconnected as to who they need to keep and not keep.

They're selling out to stop the run, thus opening up the passing game for opponents. Their 2 DE's in the heavy front aren't pass rushers and probably won't total 5 sacks this season. So, the pass rush suffers to stop the run which leaves the DB's hanging out to dry. That's great.

This is completely idiotic. It makes me think that Edwards has no idea what he's doing.

Kelsay is a DE. If we're playing the 4-3, put him at left DE. He's a HUGE liability as an outside linebacker, and it's hilarious that they think this is the best alignment.

If anything, I would think our 4-3 should look like this:

Defensive Line: Kelsay - Stroud - Troup - Williams (athletic and fast enough to play end)

Linebackers: Poz - Davis - Ellison/Maybin (Maybin is athletic enough to cover TE's)

Agreed (with your line-up).

I hope this is just some weird propaganda to SCARE the Baltimore Browns. Getting our biggest & scariest bodies on the field...

D line Kelsey Stroud Williams Edward

LB POZ DAvis (MAybin and the 12th man)

Probably the best we can do. Liabilities MAybin and Kelesy, but at least there not on the same side. Oh yea and troup will be back up to Stroud and williams if they get tired.

Your spelling is a liability.

That'll teach Torbor to call players-only meetings. :D

The LB situation is really pretty dire. Kelsay isn't a LB and can barely function as a DE on a good day. Davis and Adoyele are really ILBs and not great in coverage. Posluszny has to be kept clean to be effective. Ellison is a Will in a safety's body, he'd not going to hold the point of attack, as we all know. Torbor just got benched. And the rest are more converted DEs and rookie fodder.

I'm not sure who they can play to be honest. They don't have anybody that can play a true Sam in the 4-3 or the 3-4. They got a couple of Mikes that are suited for situational roles in a 3-4. They got a couple of Wills probably better suited to the Tampa-2 but best on the bench. They got waves of DEs that shouldn't be on the field as LBs. And, they have Torbor, who's a backup 3-4 OLB.

And, you got to like it that they are plugging in more beef to stop the run when most team's offenses are going aerial circus...

OMFG

Heaven for !@#$ing bid we try something new!

Guess what?

For the last three years all we did was B word about small, nimble defensive players. Well, now we have seven bruisers in the front. Which is it?

Beefing up the front line, I like it.

I'm curious to see what they do with the DB's. I'm hoping this means more responsibility, more aggression.

Troup and Williams are a feisty duo, and Stroud is a tank. Edwards and Stroud > Schobel and Kelsay? How could some of you naysayers possibly argue otherwise?

****, our defensive line may even collapse a pocket, stuff a run...ALL BY THEMSELVES!

I imagine we'll continue to play a lot of nickel, which means we'll rarely see Poz and Kelsay in the game together.

I also think we'll see Poz and Kelsay brought into blitz, or to decoy. I'd like to think the coordinators, after bye week evaluations, would never again do something as stupid as dropping them into coverage.

so long as our now hefty DLine gobbles up blockers like I'm hoping (and confident) they will, this..could..work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjD3D5FgmE

They're trying to put their best front 7 players versus the run on the field at the same time. That's why Kelsay is in there along with four other linemen and that's why Poz is playing OLB- to get them on the field. The apparently think that they are both better than Torbor.

Frankly, I think it's a crock. My first approach would be to play a lot more cover 0 and use 8 and 9 men in the box vs the run- try to stop it with numbers. I mean, they're supposed to have some good secondary players, right? They should try and get something out of that. I also agree about Kelsay playing DE.

They're trying to put their best front 7 players versus the run on the field at the same time. That's why Kelsay is in there along with four other linemen and that's why Poz is playing OLB- to get them on the field. The apparently think that they are both better than Torbor.

Frankly, I think it's a crock. My first approach would be to play a lot more cover 0 and use 8 and 9 men in the box vs the run- try to stop it with numbers. I mean, they're supposed to have some good secondary players, right? They should try and get something out of that. I also agree about Kelsay playing DE.

I suspect that once Moats and Carrington get up to speed and healthy the will be upgrades at linebacker.

Inside Slant

Then go back and rewatch the Jags game - thats what we ran the whole game.

Kelsay shouldnt be on this team.

Kelsay is a DE. Stroud is a DT. Our coaches are idiots. Common sense says to put players in positions where they can have the most impact and feel comfortable playing there. Kelsay can't cover, Stroud can't set the edge. On a positive note, the 4-3 suits us much better, as we DO NOT have many 3-4 players. Edwards and Davis are the only players with experience of the front 7. Its just ridiculous out there.

BAM! Right on the MONEY! How can we figure this out, and a Professional NFL team CAN'T! I am all for changing to a 3-4 when we have the players to do it! Why tinker with something that was actually working and mess that up too? If we were going to suck this bad, we should have kept Perry Fewell and suffered with the growing pains. At least they were playing for him and they were worth watching!