Felser's Article and our FO...

rpcolosi

Are the Modrak lovers really this blind?

It's just the standard nonsense. It's not the fault of the guys still here. For the guys here, whatever happened in other places that was good was their doing and the failures weren't, etc.

Modrak's best years were when he was just another cog in the Steelers machine. Since then, he has been involved in whatever capacity with approximately 100 draft picks and netted one household name player, Donovan McNabb, and a number of big-time busts.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Disagree. Modrak joined the Bills in 2001: http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Tom-Modrak/1f0d5277-1320-4d0a-8630-22b7eea5d89c

However, what I'm not sure about is WHEN in 2001 he joined -- before or after the draft?

:rolleyes:

He was hired June 6, 2001. That's after the draft.

http://throwback.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4763

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/060601/spo_0606010061.shtml

Announced on the 7th...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-22362258.html

Fired by the Eagles on May 8th...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-44068459.html

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

What makes you think Modrak had Poz rated higher than Willis? Willis was picked 11th by San Fran when we had the 12th pick, and by all accounts, the Bills were hoping to take Willis.

It's on record that Marv said immediately after the draft that the Bills had POZ rated as the top LB ahead of Willis. 

Modrak is doing the rankings, so he had POZ ahead of Willis.

Marv typically did not outright lie, so you connect the dots.  

It's on record that Marv said immediately after the draft that the Bills had POZ rated as the top LB ahead of Willis. 

Marv did say that. He also said that they had McCargo rated the same as Ngata. :blink:

So, when it fits the point what you're trying to make what they say in OBD is the thruth? Look, I'm not saying you're wrong or right but nobody knows what the reality was behind close doors. We can speculate, and with Poz I can speculate that Marv had a blast from the past with Shane Conlan and that is why he was selected where he was selected, why would I do that? because he kept going about Conlan when speaking of the Poz pick.

Who knows what has happened with previous drafts. For all we know Modrak may have said something like - 'Ngata. Great prospect - some issues but really fills a need. I recommend him. Oh, you want a safety??? Let's see. Well the Whitner guy is probably the closest to what you want, but I really like Ngata...'

Of course he could be the chap who pushed Whitner/McCargo/McGahee/McKelvin/Hardy/Ellis/Maybin/Spiller on the FO with his recommendations.

Hopefully the changes in the FO will start to replace glitzy prospects with gritty players.

BTW - not saying ALL those picks are bad players but they were not necessarily good picks for the needs of the Bills.

Nobody here really knows what goes on behind the Bills closed doors. I wouldn't think that Modrak makes the picks. I would think that he grades the players. He might not be doing that job very well, but I don't blame him for the picks.

Nobody here really knows what goes on behind the Bills closed doors. I wouldn't think that Modrak makes the picks. I would think that he grades the players. He might not be doing that job very well, but I don't blame him for the picks.

yeah - he grades the picks

he graded Maybin the best pass rusher last year

he graded POZ the best LB the year he came out

he graded McCargo very high as a DT- beter than Mangold as a C

I don't know who is responsible for making all the wonderful picks (sarcasm fellas) at One Bills Drive for the last ten years, but I will say this after watching a full day of NFL ball on the Red Zone channel (with no Bills to watch-can watch ALL the other teams) that without a doubt we have the LEAST talented roster in the NFL. (I will admit that Tampa and Cleveland looked horrible today) And that is because we can not draft, and we can not sign quality free agents. It is as simple as that. Modrak, Jauron, Marv, Donahoe, Malarkey, Greg Williams, Nix, Gailey. These guys can't do their job to save their lives. Our roster is garbage. And Nix has done nothing to show me that he has any clue either. None of our draft picks are producing. On a team that refuses to sign top end free agents-that is a hell of a problem my friends. Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Moats, have showed absolutely nothing. Easley and Brannen are out for the year. Is Wang on the roster? Callaway was cut and I am not sure what Levi Brown is doing either. It is a hodgepodge of garbage. Combine this with signing marginal free agents like Edwards, Davis, Torbor and Green, and add the players who are here from past regimes, and you have a roster that may not win any games. Fred Jackson is starting material. And Fitzie can gut it out as a starter, and could do so for several teams. But other than those two who else would start on most teams? I personally don't think Lee Evans is a top two receiver on a lot of teams. Definitely a three, but not a two because he is not physical in the slightest. And CJ Spiller looks lost so far. On Defense, our corners are not horrible, but none are truly talented at their craft.

Watch the physicality on both sides of the ball by most teams, and you will see how far we have to go. And I don't think Nix is the guy to get us anywhere near the promised land. He could start by doing more than getting rid of the flotsam like Merideth, Edwards and Chris Ellis. Make a statement and get rid of Poz, Kelsay and Stroud. All three are deadwood. That might wake up a few of the others to actually hit someone or maybe make a block.

yeah - he grades the picks

he graded Maybin the best pass rusher last year

he graded POZ the best LB the year he came out

he graded McCargo very high as a DT- beter than Mangold as a C

Not for nothing, but I can't seem to find any reference made to Marv grading Poz higher than Willis or McCargo higher than Ngata. If it's "on record" can you show it? Also, why specifically are the Bills' overall player grades being accredited to Modrak? I understand he's the Director of college scouting but he's only one component of a team of evaluators, and I don't see how anyone can pinpoint exactly what Modrak's influence has been in regards to specific players or why his would be the overruling influence in which players are picked.

I'm not exactly doubting it to be true (I absolutely detest, then and now, the front office moves and draft picks made during the 2005-09 Levy/Brandon regime), but the only references I see through google searches are to message boards (including this one), oddly enough.

Edited by Punch