Keep those 'undesirables' out of our restaurant

I probably wouldn't let a 93 year old guy wearing shorts and a t-shirt in my restaurant either. :lol:

Exactly...I'm a vietnam combat veteran and I expect I would be turned away if I wore shorts and a t-shirt and baseball cap to a restaurant. Come on guys..thanks for your service, but you don't get a free pass from the rules of the road.

Geez...the pendulum has swung widely. I came back from Nam and vets were treated like shyt. Nowadays the presumption is that they are exempt from every rule on earth.

Exactly...I'm a vietnam combat veteran and I expect I would be turned away if I wore shorts and a t-shirt and baseball cap to a restaurant. Come on guys..thanks for your service, but you don't get a free pass from the rules of the road.

Geez...the pendulum has swung widely. I came back from Nam and vets were treated like shyt. Nowadays the presumption is that they are exempt from every rule on earth.

Bingo!

From what I understood, the vets weren't upset at being turned away, their WIVES were upset. And again, as far as I can tell the issue wasn't simply that they were vets. They had what some might consider a "special circumstance". Now you can either agree the circumstance was special enough or not. But I don't think this was to be a general referendum on vets obeying dress codes.

I don't reade the issue as broadly as you do. It's a simple judgment call that the hostess and maybe the manager need to make - do the circumstances provide some relief with regards to the dress code? I would have said "yes." I don't think the issue is nearly as broad as do all vets get relief?

I suppose you also have to know the restaraunt. At the end of the day - in spite of its lofty dress code - it's a tourist trap. There are far better places to eat in Dallas (IMO). The vets and the restaraunt both could have gained from the situation - comp them a meal in exchange for a picture or two and the ability to announcew to all other patrons about the gig. If they do this everybody in the place feels good and they get some free positive word-of-mouth advertising.

good questions.

These days in NYC there are probably only about 10 (if that) restaurants that wouldn't let you in with jeans, otherwise it isn't a big deal. It's the sports t-shirts that made them look like crap. Adult or kids, looking like crap in a nice place is looking like crap in a nice place. If a famous actor was there wearing jeans and a nike t-shirt I would have said he looked like crap as well.

I don't spend my days worrying about stuff like this (or going to nice restaurants), but was just making a point that I understand why places have a dress code, and that if they do I like to follow them...

Fortunately, restaurants with dress codes do still exist in NYC. They are much fewer than only a few years ago, but they do still exist.

I agree, the hostess should have spoken with a manager, who could have made an exception. But I do applaud restaurants that have strict dress codes...in NYC I can think of La Grenouille, Le Cirque (dining room), Daniel, Jean Georges, or Per Se still require a person to dress well to eat there.

Even restaurants without a "stated" dress code...if you show up in shorts or jeans, screaming "tourist," you will be seated in the back, near the kitchen and bathrooms.

Fortunately, restaurants with dress codes do still exist in NYC. They are much fewer than only a few years ago, but they do still exist.

I agree, the hostess should have spoken with a manager, who could have made an exception. But I do applaud restaurants that have strict dress codes...in NYC I can think of La Grenouille, Le Cirque (dining room), Daniel, Jean Georges, or Per Se still require a person to dress well to eat there.

Even restaurants without a "stated" dress code...if you show up in shorts or jeans, screaming "tourist," you will be seated in the back, near the kitchen and bathrooms.

Don't most restaurants with dress codes offer loaner jackets and ties?