Shawn Merriman at rock bottom

Link

That's a Lindsay Lohan-like career arc. The speed of his dazzling rise to dominance is matched only by the thoroughness of his freefall to the waiver wire. It's downright astonishing when you look at the big picture.

The Buffalo Bills are the NFL's land of misfit toys. Guys who crashed and burned, or just burned, who couldn't sign anywhere else. The beauty is we'll all think we hit the jackpot signing them.

PTR

Link

The Buffalo Bills are the NFL's land of misfit toys. Guys who crashed and burned, or just burned, who couldn't sign anywhere else. The beauty is we'll all think we hit the jackpot signing them.

PTR

Hey, I would take that Charlie In The Box guy any day..can you imagine the spring he would have in the endzone?

I agree with your sentiments on the Bills track record, but Merriman might be worth the risk. He clearly has not been healthy. A drop off in the year after a major knee injury is to be expected, and he has had an achilles problem this year. He did perform very well in the year after the steroid controversy. I think it is mostly about contract with San Diego, and the fact that they have viable options. The Bills do not. Why not take a chance, assuming a contract agreement could be reached which minimizes the risk? Are we worried about wasting a bit of RW's money? We are so bad at LB right now, SM at 75% of his former ability would be a huge upgrade. Sometimes you do win the lottery - "Hey, you never know."

Edited by MDFan

It's called no more drugs. He's just average at best without drugs, now they are watching him and he had to stop, now he's showing his stuff clean. He's just average. The real question is would he be an upgrade in our system. The answer is not only yes, but hell yes. That means our outside LB's are that bad. I would take him for a year to rebuild in a heart beat. League min., and cut him when get a better pick.

Link

PTR

I believe you have confused "Buffalo Bills" with "Cincinatti Bengals" (home of TO, Pacman, Cedric Benson, etc.) The Bills are the home of the "never-was's" - a species that never had the chance to be football players, nor should they have been.

Link

PTR

I don't expect him to be what he was, as far as pass rushing. If he can provide a veteran presence and hold the point of attack, I'd be happy.

someone will take a shot on him...fact. we took a shot on incognito last year and now he is playing for the phins. we could have re-signed him and our line would be looking much nicer than it does right now(speculation) would merriman play like 3-4 years ago when he was juicing? no but he would be an upgrade and maybe he ends up playing well(though i dont want him to cause us to lose the #1 pick)and we have a solid lb on our squad next year

someone will take a shot on him...fact. we took a shot on incognito last year and now he is playing for the phins. we could have re-signed him and our line would be looking much nicer than it does right now(speculation) would merriman play like 3-4 years ago when he was juicing? no but he would be an upgrade and maybe he ends up playing well(though i dont want him to cause us to lose the #1 pick)and we have a solid lb on our squad next year

Will Wolford might not make this line look much better. Incognito? Ha!

yep... Kawika Mitchell part II... awesome idea.

Kawika Mitchell has never been as dominant a player as Shawne Merriman, so I don't know where you're getting that from. Considering that our team's biggest weakness right now is that we don't have a rush linebacker, I don't see what it would hurt to bring him in.

If the Bills were to bring him in we could bring him along slowly, and hopefully he will be able to shake his nagging leg injuries....it isn't like we are fighting for a playoff spot. When healthy, Shawne Merriman would be the biggest playmaker in our LB core.

You can't use the steroids excuse as a reason for his declining performance either, as the year after he was busted he finished the season with 12.5 sacks.