Post Ralph Wilson era: Bill Polian?

YE OLE's Opinion Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support this move?

• Yes YE OLE, I would support this move!
    • No YE OLE, I would prefer to go in another direction!
    • I am undecided YE OLE...

If/when Mr. Wilson passes, if Jimbo's mysterious group of owners swoop in and save of our team, is there any chance Jimbo reaches out to Bill Polian to return?

Could he go to Bill and say "Bill... your beef was with Mr. Wilson... I ain't got no beef with you, and the proud people of this great city ain't got no beef with you. Come back and lets finish what we started 25 years ago..."

Chris Polian would be well entrenched as the Colts GM at this point and maybe Bill gets the competitive itch to get back in the trenches. And what a way to put the icing on the cake of his legacy... to bring the Buffalo Bills to their 5th Super Bowl and... WIN

What say you? Would you support such a move?

If/when Mr. Wilson passes, if Jimbo's mysterious group of owners swoop in and save of our team, is there any chance Jimbo reaches out to Bill Polian to return?

Could he go to Bill and say "Bill... your beef was with Mr. Wilson... I ain't got no beef with you, and the proud people of this great city ain't got no beef with you. Come back and lets finish what we started 25 years ago..."

Chris Polian would be well entrenched as the Colts GM at this point and maybe Bill gets the competitive itch to get back in the trenches. And what a way to put the icing on the cake of his legacy... to bring the Buffalo Bills to their 5th Super Bowl and... WIN

I'd support just about anything that brings Polian back. God I miss the playoffs.

It was Bill Polian, not Marv that built the Super Bowl team.

I agree that Polian had to recognize the talent and get them here but some one had to put it on the field and get the coaching staff to make it happen .

And that person was Marv !! That team in that time just wouldn't have been that team with out him !!

Ahh those were the days !!!! :beer:

AIN"T gonna happen, no way...no how.

Jim Irsay the owner of the Colts watched what he did with the Buffalo Bills during the 90's, and when his father passed and he inherited the Colts he hires Polian. Irsay knows what he has in Bill Polian, unlike RW, If it came to Polian leaving I'd think he would offer him part of the team to stay

Had to vote no. Considering that some knuckleheads are already mocking Nix (70) for being old and 'over the hill', do you think that an old fart like Polian (68) could still be successful here well into his 70's?

(Maybe his 38-year-old son - and St. Francis of Athol Springs alum - Chris Polian, Colts VP & GM, could survive the TSW age test better.)

Also, it looks like the 'Polian-magic' may be fading...

A long-standing joke amongst Colts' fans is that Polian gets all of his first round picks right, but his 3rd round picks rarely pan out. Some notable failures include Gilbert Gardner 2004, Vincent "Sweet Pea" Burns in 2005, and Quinn Pitcock in 2007. To date, he has not "missed" on a 1st round pick with the Colts, however, his three most recent first round picks, Anthony Gonzalez (2007), Donald Brown (2009), and Jerry Hughes (2010) are all non-contributors at this time.*

*from Wiki

Sounds vaguely familiar. I'll cast my lot with Buddy Nix - in 3 years (or sooner) the Bills will be back on top of the NFL and everyone's gonna be in love with "Ol' Buddy".

Purely speculation but perhaps Polian is part of his ownership group.

Gee let's see: Since John Butler was fired and / or quit after the 2000 season, We've suffered through Donahoe/Williams; Donahoe/Mularkey; (although that combo somehow produced the Bills' only winning season, 9-7-0, in '04, since then!); Levy/Jauron; Brandon+"Inner Circle"/Jauron; and now finally this rousing 0-5-0 start for Nix/Gailey. After all of that amazing incompetence, do you really think there is normal die hard Buffalo Bills fan over the age of 30 who would not be supportive of Kelly getting Bill Polian back as President/GM of the "new" Buffalo Bills?? (Fans who are younger then 30 were too young to remember Polian's unique style and combative personality - perfect for the Buffalo fans back then!!!!) So other then the younger fans out here who really don't remember the guy, who do you think would vote no?

I've even wondered if Polian might not be one of the "secret investors" Kelly alludes to all the time. That could be the one step Jim Irsay won't let Bill take in Polian's progression up the ladder of management in Indianapolis, now that he is team President and his son is GM of the Colts. Who knows, anything is possible I guess.

Had to vote no....Also, it looks like the 'Polian-magic' may be fading...

A long-standing joke amongst Colts' fans is that Polian gets all of his first round picks right, but his 3rd round picks rarely pan out. Some notable failures include Gilbert Gardner 2004, Vincent "Sweet Pea" Burns in 2005, and Quinn Pitcock in 2007. To date, he has not "missed" on a 1st round pick with the Colts, however, his three most recent first round picks, Anthony Gonzalez (2007), Donald Brown (2009), and Jerry Hughes (2010) are all non-contributors at this time.*

*from Wiki...

Well it must be nice to have 3rd round draft choice - misses as the only thing to joke about. I love the part where the Colts' fans "concede" the fact that Polian hits on all of his first round picks though. As if that is so easy to do when he is always drafting at the bottom of the first round.

So you had to vote no because Polian would be over 70 years old if Wilson dies in the next few years or so. As if turning 70 would automatically make him just another "old fart" who would forget how he built the Bills into 4 time SB participants, the Panthers from an expansion team to NFC Championship participants in two seasons, and the Colts into 2 time SB participants and 1 time SB Champions. Yes sir, once the man turns that horrible 70 years old, he would lose all of that know-how?

Let me ask you something. What if our wonderful economy forces you and I to have to work until we are 70 or over just to afford some kind of decent retirement after that. I suppose your company and mine that we are working for at that time, will simply laugh at us and throw us out because we would just be too damn old to be able to do our jobs, right? :doh:

I think you have to be careful about returning the old guard. It's almost like getting back together with your high school girlfriend only to find out things aren't the same anymore.

The Redskins re-hired Joe Gibbs a few years back and while he was a great coach in the 80s & 90s, the game had passed him by. The Vikings threw the world at Brett Favre in August and now he's clearly showing his age.

The years where Polian was running the show will be like no other, but I don't think we should go out and bring him back just because he had a great run with this organization. There is new blood out there, so it's time to find it.

My Dad always told me "Son, never go backwards in your life. Always move forward." This applies here. For better or worse Bill Polian is not our GM, and never will be again. B. Polian is one of the if not the best at what he does for sure. That said, he is old and getting ready to hand the Colts over to his Son. Meaning.... he is going to retire soon. If Nix is not what this team needs (and I think he is IMHO) than Can his a$$ and find someone younger and at the top of his game at evaluating talent and hire him.

AIN"T gonna happen, no way...no how.

Jim Irsay the owner of the Colts watched what he did with the Buffalo Bills during the 90's, and when his father passed and he inherited the Colts he hires Polian. Irsay knows what he has in Bill Polian, unlike RW, If it came to Polian leaving I'd think he would offer him part of the team to stay

Offering him ownership is the only way. Remember he is going to be 69 this comming year.and would have to be enticed to bring his son along too, who has talent. first we need to solidify our ownership issues.. i do have some solutions to that too.

Well it must be nice to have 3rd round draft choice - misses as the only thing to joke about. I love the part where the Colts' fans "concede" the fact that Polian hits on all of his first round picks though. As if that is so easy to do when he is always drafting at the bottom of the first round.

So you had to vote no because Polian would be over 70 years old if Wilson dies in the next few years or so. As if turning 70 would automatically make him just another "old fart" who would forget how he built the Bills into 4 time SB participants, the Panthers from an expansion team to NFC Championship participants in two seasons, and the Colts into 2 time SB participants and 1 time SB Champions. Yes sir, once the man turns that horrible 70 years old, he would lose all of that know-how?

Let me ask you something. What if our wonderful economy forces you and I to have to work until we are 70 or over just to afford some kind of decent retirement after that. I suppose your company and mine that we are working for at that time, will simply laugh at us and throw us out because we would just be too damn old to be able to do our jobs, right? :doh:

You've been here since January, so you should know that I'm one of the staunchest defenders of 'the geriatric set' - including Buddy, Marv, and Ralph himself. In fact, my comment was meant as a direct shot at the a-holes who condemn Nix, Levy, & RW simply because of their age. With age comes experience and (hopefully) wisdom. And, btw, I fully expect to remain a productive member of the work force when I reach my 70's.

Methinks maybe you misinterpreted my meaning - possibly even over-reacted?

There's a 4 way intersection in a path, in the center is a crisp new $20 bill. Coming up each path towards the center is a dumb blond, Bill Polian led Buffalo Bills under a Jim Kelley led ownership, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny. Which one gets the money?

Its more likely Polian is part of the fictional Kelly led ownership group, that way Bill could really stick it to Ralph as the new owner of the Buffalo Bills.

About as likely as me pooping out $20 bills, but a boy can dream.