Finding stuff on my farm...

boyst

As most of you know, I have a farm. It was passed on from my grandpa who had worked the land with his dad prior to that. Either way, there is a ton of old stuff around. Before anyone starts to think I find stuff to take on Pawn Stars or scrap yard show where guys have that van, it's not.

Basically, when doing stuff I find things. Today I found a seal that had numbers on it and the words wagner. I googled it and by best telling it was to a brake component on a Chrysler. It was in a field I had bulldozed about 3 years ago and have no idea how it would have got there.

Today was not an exemplary day though. This past summer I found a pocket watch underneath some pecan trees that have been there for 60+ years probably. I googled it to find what I expected, it was not worth much, it was in bad shape too, but finding out it was a model from the 1940's was neat. I asked my mom and she had told me it was my grandpa's a long time ago and he had lost it. That was cool

The best I found was the "cyclops." It was the ornament on the front of the 1953 Model N tractor. It is one of the most famous tractors in history. It is in great shape and is somewhat rare to find. I have also found the distributor cap to a model A Ford and a bunch of other miscellaneous items. I am only talking about what I find in the ground through stumbling upon or above the ground for whatever reason. I have a bunch of junk in sheds and buildings that I take time to go through every few months. Some of them tools from the 50's and 60's that I am putting to use. It is amazing how well things were built back than.

If no one else finds this interesting, well, I guess I am just boring.

jboys 62 - My dad was not a farmer but I grew up surrounded by family farms - mostly dairy and fruit. It's sad to say that most of these farms are no longer in operation. I think it is cool that you are able to sustain your family tradition by remaining an active farmer. Keep finding cool "junk" and keep the cows happy.

The link in my sig line can give you some good information where to get the food. Also, small farms are not as crazy as you think. Even just having a few chickens for eggs can be good. Rhode Island chickens can yield beef and eggs. It's fun for the kids, too. They're not that expensive.

Pigs are also fun.

York is probably 3 hrs away, just guessing off memory?

Bestest I've found yet. I guess I have bad luck! But, I do love it on CMT again!

I wasn't saying it was crazy at all. I became so interested in it because I think it's great! I would love to get into it on a very small scale (like the chickens you mentioned) once I finish with my current job and hopefully end up in a place with a little space.

I've looked everywhere around my area for farms that sell a variety of food, but they just aren't here. I can drive about 2hrs to find some small stuff, but not really worth the drive given what they offer. I won't be there forever though, so hopefully when I move next I end up in an area with better selection. Best I have here is a farmers market that runs 4 months of the year and sells out in an hour.

Yes, York is about 3 hrs from where you are (you mentioned your county earlier...so not exactly sure where your farm is).

Do you run, or have you given any thought to a CSA? Seems like it's getting more popular and is helping a lot of small farmers make a living.

Do you run, or have you given any thought to a CSA?

CSA's are getting very popular and so are community gardens. Eventually I would like to turn some of my land in to a community garden. For what I have it does not make much sense to work as a CSA. Most of my land, 100 acres, is pasture. I am not a huge farm but what I think of as a niche farm. I fit in to provide healthy beef for families interested in the lifestyle. Grassfed charolais beef has been found healthier than chicken.

Wait... what!?

Those must be some peculiar-looking chickens.

:D

It was early, lack of sleep.

If you find any lead soldiers in the basement or attic let me know

I have found some in the past. I put them together in some box somewhere in my little house, I do not know when I'd ever find them again. What's the interest???

It almost sounds like someone could make one of those photo blogs out of the material from threads like this. I could see there being decent interest out there for some site that would post random info and pictures of "look at this old thing I found" type stuff. Actually, there must be plenty of that stuff out there already.

As most of you know, I have a farm. It was passed on from my grandpa who had worked the land with his dad prior to that. Either way, there is a ton of old stuff around. Before anyone starts to think I find stuff to take on Pawn Stars or scrap yard show where guys have that van, it's not.

Basically, when doing stuff I find things. Today I found a seal that had numbers on it and the words wagner. I googled it and by best telling it was to a brake component on a Chrysler. It was in a field I had bulldozed about 3 years ago and have no idea how it would have got there.

Today was not an exemplary day though. This past summer I found a pocket watch underneath some pecan trees that have been there for 60+ years probably. I googled it to find what I expected, it was not worth much, it was in bad shape too, but finding out it was a model from the 1940's was neat. I asked my mom and she had told me it was my grandpa's a long time ago and he had lost it. That was cool

The best I found was the "cyclops." It was the ornament on the front of the 1953 Model N tractor. It is one of the most famous tractors in history. It is in great shape and is somewhat rare to find. I have also found the distributor cap to a model A Ford and a bunch of other miscellaneous items. I am only talking about what I find in the ground through stumbling upon or above the ground for whatever reason. I have a bunch of junk in sheds and buildings that I take time to go through every few months. Some of them tools from the 50's and 60's that I am putting to use. It is amazing how well things were built back than.

If no one else finds this interesting, well, I guess I am just boring.

Pretty cool. My dad just got finished remodeling his 1929 Ford Model A truck that he had has a teenager. It looks really good and he gets a lot of attention at car shows and parades that he brings it in. :lol:

Direct-to-market grass fed beef. I have been staying up late and getting up early since Sept. Calving season. It is winding down but in the middle of it I check on them every 2-3 hours. I have 3 yet to calve. They'll drop in the next day or so but my sleep schedule is messed up now. Normally, it takes until Thanksgiving to get it back on track. The only advantage of being up late is watching some good movies that aren't normally on.

I also have apples, pecans, peaches, cherries, pears, various garden things, as well. Those are not for major profit, but Pecans this time of year will sell over $8/lbs whole and $15/lbs. shelled. After thanksgiving they are less than $5/shelled.

Wow, pretty cool! If I lived closer I'd be coming by. :flirt:

I thought it was cool watching our goats giving birth. :lol::blush: (Yes, I grew up on a smallish farm.)

Edited by LanaK6

For some reason there is a traditon of burying a silver dollar in the yard on New Years... I don't know... It was something my mother always did. I just can't remember where I bury it. I have been here 15 years... So I suppose there is 15 bucks buried around the garden... :lol: Through the years, whoever gets the house (the children) I suppose they will find some money! :doh:

Next year throw a few packets of silica gel in with the silver dollar and you may end up with a money tree in your back yard.