Which QB WILL the Bills Draft and which QB SHOULD they draft

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well If were so high on draft picks, I would bet the house we trade out of the #1 spot and acquire a couple more draft picks. Sure we would miss out on the top QB or even top 2 QB's depending how far back were willing to trade, but If I'm the GM I trade out and get more picks.! Just my 2 cents....

No way do I see the Bills trading down. The Bills need a top 3 draft pick this year to attempt to solidify the qb position , and more importantly , create a buzz and optimism with a disgruntled fan base.

You make a lot of sense of having a capable OL in place before getting the qb. But if you have an opportunity to get an exceptional prospect such as Andrew Luck, you seize the opportunity and then work backwards to get the OL in order. Bill Polian certainly didn't avoid drafting a premier prospect such as Peyton Manning because his current line was mediocre.

If Luck stays in school, which I believe he will do, and you have more highly rated players in other positions then I'm not adverse to drafting the better prospect. Not having a labor agreement is going to work against the Bills because some players who would declare for the draft won't for fear of a season long work stoppage. Last year, the reopening of the labor contract limited our ability to get players in the free agent market because the unrestricted free agents became restricted free agents. It seems that so many things work against the Bills. :angry:

The collective Bargaining Agreement and potential work stoppage are all scheduled to be worked out long before the draft. I'm not saying they will have it fixed, but they will already know by draft day whether there will be a season or not. I have also heard that there are 2 different legal safeguards in place that pretty much guarantee that there will be a season even if an agreement is not reached. essentially there will be another uncapped year if there is no agreement. The players don't get rich sitting out. The NFL doesn't make money not having a season. Some form of a CBA will be established. The likelihood of a holdout is not nearly as great as the media makes it out to be.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/kevin-mawae-robert-kraft-agree-cba-can-get-done-this-year/

Edited by polish lover

I feel the lack of a CBA is the only thing that would keep Luck out of the draft. He's going #1; he knows it, you know it, 'nuff said. For what other reason would he stay in school? And extra year of football is not going to improve his draft status. If he wants to "stay in school" and complete his Communications degree, fine, but he can do that later. If he wants $50+ million in guaranteed money, then he should declare. If he wants to run the risk of a suffering a career-ending injury before signing said $50+ million-in-guanteed-money contract, then stay in school.

I feel the lack of a CBA is the only thing that would keep Luck out of the draft. He's going #1; he knows it, you know it, 'nuff said. For what other reason would he stay in school? And extra year of football is not going to improve his draft status. If he wants to "stay in school" and complete his Communications degree, fine, but he can do that later. If he wants $50+ million in guaranteed money, then he should declare. If he wants to run the risk of a suffering a career-ending injury before signing said $50+ million-in-guanteed-money contract, then stay in school.

Maybe he wants to wait for a west coast team or large market team to bottom out, rather than be drafted by a certain team. There have been players who have refused to report to certain teams (Manning, Elway come to mind) when selected first overall. Staying in school would help him avoid that controversy, if he doesn't want to go to the team that is likely to select him.

Also, if there is a new CBA in place, it very likely will have a rookie cap. He might wait a year for that cap to go up.

Finally, it's been said elsewhere on this board that he takes his studies seriously and that his family doesn't exactly need the money.

I think (and hope) he'll declare, but there are some reasons why he wouldn't.

The Bills will have a great chance at qb next year. As I see it, the teams that will need a qb are

1. Bills

2. Cleveland

3. Oakland

4. Washington

5. Arizona

6. Seattle

7. San Fran

Take Cleveland and Washington out because they have qbs, but want to develop one. Of them that leaves 6 teams and at best a couple who would be willing to move up. I see at us having 3 really good qb's next year so we should be able to land one with the 1-3 draft picks because we will fall in there. With that being said, I believe they take Mallet. He is the biggest and has the best arm, but some say he has baggage?

Not at QB, he didn't. But your point is well-taken anyway.

Yeah he did, only his name wasn't Marlin Briscoe - it was...

James Harris

(first 'African-American' to actually be named starting QB at the beginning of the season, anyway)

Harris was drafted in the eighth round of the Common Draft by the American Football League's Buffalo Bills, and would soon join fellow rookie O.J. Simpson in the starting backfield. Continuing the American Football League's more liberal (than the NFL's) personnel policies, the Bills made Harris the first black player to start a season at quarterback and the second black player in the modern era to start in any game as quarterback for a Professional Football team. Marlin Briscoe, of the AFL's Denver Broncos had been the first in 1968, and a few of Harris's completions in 1969 went to Briscoe, who, by that time, had been traded to the Bills and converted to a receiver.

Briscoe was apparently eighth ( :unsure: ) on the Broncos QB depth chart when Denver head coach Lou Saban summoned him off the bench to replace Bronco's backup Joe DiVito, who was in for the injured Steve Tensi. But you're right, technically - Briscoe was first, then Harris.

Edited by The Senator

Luck is majoring in architectural design, actually. His makeup and family background are just different from the vast majority of draft picks.

I'll wager against anyone that Luck stays in school. Name the stakes.

The Bills will have a great chance at qb next year. As I see it, the teams that will need a qb are

1. Bills

2. Cleveland

3. Oakland

4. Washington

5. Arizona

6. Seattle

7. San Fran

Take Cleveland and Washington out because they have qbs, but want to develop one. Of them that leaves 6 teams and at best a couple who would be willing to move up. I see at us having 3 really good qb's next year so we should be able to land one with the 1-3 draft picks because we will fall in there. With that being said, I believe they take Mallet. He is the biggest and has the best arm, but some say he has baggage?

The Browns may not consider Colt McCoy to be their guy if his upcoming promotion is a longterm (for 2010 anyway) experiment that proves to be disastrous. Hopefully they won't find an acceptable answer this season and carry his development over to next year. And I wonder what the sentiments are in Seattle regarding Charlie Whitehurst's future? Oakland's 1st round pick is in New England, but the Pats can easily trade out of it to the highest bidder, who may be interested in a QB. If we want the best QB in this draft our best bet is to continue rotating in rookies playing out of position. It'll help them develop and also guarantee a terrible record.

Edited by Punch

Luck is majoring in architectural design, actually. His makeup and family background are just different from the vast majority of draft picks.

I'll wager against anyone that Luck stays in school. Name the stakes.

A caller into WGR the other day mentioned this and the fact that Luck's favorite architect is Frank Lloyd Wright. I think he was kidding, but it was mentioned as a possible draw for him in Buffalo. I don't think that's even remotely a possibility (coming out early for Buffalo's architecture) but at the very least, as he is an intelligent young man with a strong interest in architecture, he would likely be appreciative of the region, should the Bills be his NFL home.

Know the Bills luck, Luck will stay in college for another year. I'm not sold on Locker because he should be winning more games. If he is so good, why is his team bad?

The Bills should definitely select a quarterback if one is available. I think that it is hard to trade out of the 1st pick, especially if there isn't a clear pick. I think they can get a tackle in the beginning of the second round. I would like them to stock up on draft picks because it gives them more chances to get lucky, which is what they need because they draft so poorly.

Oh, did you see the tackle Luck made, it was awesome.

Know the Bills luck, Luck will stay in college for another year. I'm not sold on Locker because he should be winning more games. If he is so good, why is his team bad?

The Huskies are 104th in the FBS in total defense, yielding an average of 429.6 yards, and tied for 95th in scoring defense, allowing 30.8 points per game. The WRs for UW have also dropped 12 passes so far, which drops his completion % (despite a horrible Nebraska game) from 62.5% down to 55.4%.

Since it looks like the Bills will have the #1 pick or close to it, they should have their choice of any QB in the draft. Ralph seems to be saying that they plan to use the pick for a QB, so the question is:

Which QB SHOULD the Bills pick?

and

Which QB WILL the Bills pick?

To start it off, I think the Bills should draft Christian Ponder from Florida State

But I think the Bills will pick Jake Locker from University of Washington

I'm interested if you'd still pick Ponder after the game he had today.

I think the Bills should draft Robert Quinn OLB in Round 1, and Cameron Heyward DE in Round 1A (using a RD2 and RD4).

Then draft Ricky Stanzi in RD3.

The Bills should definitely select a quarterback if one is available. I think that it is hard to trade out of the 1st pick, especially if there isn't a clear pick. I think they can get a tackle in the beginning of the second round. I would like them to stock up on draft picks because it gives them more chances to get lucky, which is what they need because they draft so poorly.

Oh, did you see the tackle Luck made, it was awesome.

I don't see a LT in the beginning of the second round. At ~#60 you can take Orlando Franklin and ~#63 Nate Solder. Guard Clint Boling is a possibility. I really think the Bills will acquire a tackle rather than draft one.

If the rumor is correct that Buffalo likes Ponder, it wouldn't be surprising. Mediocre QB's who have a low ypa and turn the ball over are really undervalued. As are slow OLB's who weren't that good of a 43DE.

Whoa whoa whoa--- where did you hear that about the Bills liking Ponder? That's disheartening :cry: