Colt McCoy to start this week for the Browns

Got_Wood

if he does well then folks will moan how we missed out on him. If he does bad folks will moan that you can't judge after one game. That reminds me, how is Clausen doing? Something tells me its too soon to judge him, if you catch my drift. ;)

PTR

For all of those Bills fans that wanted to see the Bills draft McCoy, we'll get to see him play this weekend. Unfortunately for him, the Browns play the Steelers. Should be interesting to watch.

Unfortunately for him, it's out of necessity not because he's ready. Colt looked pretty bad this preseason, Browns fans can only hope he's progressed rapidly since then. Really a shame because IMO Cleveland is really on the verge of becoming a decent team in this league. Hopefully Colt doesn't get obliterated out there and Seneca Wallace gets back quickly. It'll be rough if Peyton Hillis can't play either.

Clausen has looked horrendous.....probably will be a career back-up at best. You will not see the "draft gurus" complimenting the Bills for NOT taking him with their 2nd or 3rd picks. But I agree it is early to tell but sometimes you can get an idea if a kid can play or not as a rookie. Matt Ryan and Flacco for instance.

For all of those Bills fans that wanted to see the Bills draft McCoy, we'll get to see him play this weekend. Unfortunately for him, the Browns play the Steelers. Should be interesting to watch.

Dude almost got cut coming out of preseason he was that bad...

He certainly was pretty bad but in no danger of being cut. McCoy was Mike Holmgren's personal draft choice to groom over time and it's a safe bet Colt will make the roster at least the next 2 seasons. The "may get cut" rumor was blind speculation by a Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter.

Unfortunately for him, it's out of necessity not because he's ready. Colt looked pretty bad this preseason, Browns fans can only hope he's progressed rapidly since then. Really a shame because IMO Cleveland is really on the verge of becoming a decent team in this league. Hopefully Colt doesn't get obliterated out there and Seneca Wallace gets back quickly. It'll be rough if Peyton Hillis can't play either.

This guy barely even made the final roster. Don't expect big things from him.

O RLY?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/09/colt_mccoy_shows_steady_improv.html

McCoy was a perfect 13-for-13 against the Bears for 131 yards in a little more than two quarters of work.

Coach Eric Mangini said McCoy had shown growth last week in Detroit, where he completed 10 of 14 attempts, but that he needed to make better decisions. It's the last time Browns fans will see him for a while, and he left a good impression.

Edited by BlueFire

I remember reading an article regarding how the college stats translated to the NFL. The # 1 stat that translated well was completion percentage. Colt McCoy's completion % was sick as a longhorn. Up in the 70's. Jimmy Clausen's first year was 56% by his JR year it was up to 66%. We'll see how that plays out.

Jake Locker's 2009=56%

Ryan Mallet's 2009=55.6%

Andrew Luck 2009=56%

Who knows???

Not a bad performance for his first game.

Rookie QB, 1st game on the road against Pittsburgh, plus you lose Cribbs and Massaquoi. I was very impressed with his poise and leadership. Colt got roughed up and it didn't seems to faze him. Bailed out a bit at the beginning of the game but he got much more comfortable throughout. Good throwing and leadership, good feel for the pocket. A couple mistakes but you expect that.

Overall a great debut and Cleveland may have finally found themselves a QB IMO. We'll see, he'll get at least one more start. After that, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him. Congrats to Colt.

On another note, if they NFL wants to get serious about the helmet to helmet contact I think any time it happens and the player on offense gets knocked out the defensive guy who did it should be thrown out. Really amazing the LB Harrison wasn't penalized on the Cribbs hit. Replays showed the guy lowered his head and led with the helmet. Then he comes back and does it on Massaquoi.

I remember reading an article regarding how the college stats translated to the NFL. The # 1 stat that translated well was completion percentage. Colt McCoy's completion % was sick as a longhorn. Up in the 70's. Jimmy Clausen's first year was 56% by his JR year it was up to 66%. We'll see how that plays out.

Jake Locker's 2009=56%

Ryan Mallet's 2009=55.6%

Andrew Luck 2009=56%

Who knows???

I think you may be referring to this SI article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html

The idea being that college QBs with at least 26 starts, a career completion pct. of 60% or higher, and a minimum 27 score on the Wonderlic test have a higher rate of NFL success than those that do not qualify. Colt McCoy falls 2 Wonderlic points short, but that type of stat differential in this case is considered negligible.

Interestingly, of the current NFL QBs that meet each of the 3 requirements (P.Manning, E. Manning, Rivers, Brees, Romo, Schaub, Ryan, etc.) one is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited to add:

Although it should be noted that the "26-60-27" measurement is based on career numbers, not only one season. The 2010 completion pcts. for each of the 3 collegiate QBs you mention:

Ryan Mallett: 69.1

Jake Locker: 56.2

Andrew Luck: 65.7

It's possible (actually, more than likely) that both Luck and Mallett's career completion %s will be above 60% by the end of 2010.

Edited by Punch

Jake Locker's 2009=56%

Ryan Mallet's 2009=55.6%

Andrew Luck 2009=56%

Who knows???

Good point. Accuracy is the number one trait scouts look at when evaluating college QBs. None of the three you list suggest they're going to be any more accurate in the pros where it's a helluva lot harder to complete passes. Mallet and Luck may be better off staying in school and learning the game a bit more. Locker is NOT worth a high pick, IMO.

But who knows.

GO BILLS!!!

You don't become the winningest QB in NCAA history by being anything but a leader. Colt will do well for the Browns.

I think McCoy will have some measure of success in the NFL--- but do you know which QB previously held the title of "Winningest QB in NCAA History"? Georgia's David Greene, who didn't exactly light the NFL on fire.

Peyton Manning was the record holder prior to Greene--- I'm guessing McCoy's pro career will fall somewhere between David Greene and Peyton Manning. Still, although a winning QB in college is certainly preferable (both Losman and Edwards had losing NCAA records) it is not alone indicative as to whether or not it will translate to success in the NFL.

Good point. Accuracy is the number one trait scouts look at when evaluating college QBs. None of the three you list suggest they're going to be any more accurate in the pros where it's a helluva lot harder to complete passes. Mallet and Luck may be better off staying in school and learning the game a bit more. Locker is NOT worth a high pick, IMO.

But who knows.

GO BILLS!!!

Mallett (69.1) and Luck's (65.7) completion pcts. have both gone up dramatically in 2010 from the 2009 numbers he posted. It's probably safe to say another year in college will help shape them into even better passers, though as you suggest.

I think McCoy will have some measure of success in the NFL--- but do you know which QB previously held the title of "Winningest QB in NCAA History"? Georgia's David Greene, who didn't exactly light the NFL on fire.

Peyton Manning was the record holder prior to Greene--- I'm guessing McCoy's pro career will fall somewhere between David Greene and Peyton Manning. Still, although a winning QB in college is certainly preferable (both Losman and Edwards had losing NCAA records) it is not alone indicative as to whether or not it will translate to success in the NFL.

Mallett (69.1) and Luck's (65.7) completion pcts. have both gone up dramatically in 2010 from the 2009 numbers he posted. It's probably safe to say another year in college will help shape them into even better passers, though as you suggest.

Thanks for the updated numbers. I'd like to see them stay in school and repeat those numbers or improve on them before I'd stamp a "can't miss" label on either. There's something about drafting senior QBs with consistent success that appeals to me. There is no harm in learning more about the game. Especially if you're a blue chip talent. If they improve, they solidify their positions. If they don't, they aren't what we thought they'd be anyway.

GO BILLS!!!