Wouldn't be shocked to see George Edwards fired this week.

Cuze

I hate this argument. People on this D are in the wrong place all over the field. That's not talent guys. It's coaching. Yes, we have some small, weak players on D, but get them in the right spot and this offense can at least compete. 27 - 33 points is supposed to be enough to win in this league. George Edwards is an epic fail as DC.

+10

i saw guys in the wrong spots all day

i also saw defenders in the right spots getting creamed cuz they were the only one at the point of attack and had to take on two or three blockers

im not one to panic but yeah this defense looks very poorly coached. they are also getting pushed around, which is talent, but they just flat out cant consistenly construct a functioning defensive play. i suppose some of that still has to be placed on guys learning new jobs as they play but by the fifth game i would think a good d-coord would have them looking like they knew what to do a little more

interesting that the only good game they played so far was against the fish. they did start half the game at gb well but collapsed. and its been downhill from there. its going in the wrong direction

i would be shocked if edwards got canned this early, but as ive already posted on other places im thinking they decide to find a replacement well before next season

YE OLE will tell you this... our talent is far from outstanding on the defensive side of the ball, BUT... it's much better than what we are seeing out there. This defense is the stuff of legend right now in how bad it is. As bad as some of our defenses have been in the past we've NEVER in franchise history allowed 4 consecutive 30+ point games... until today.

What's more is, I'm constantly seeing plays where Poz or Kelsay are chasing other teams #1 WR's downfield. WTF is that?! How many times did Sims-Walker or this Davis cat make catches downfield today with Poz trailing 10 yards behind the play? It's happening way too often for this not to be by design. At worst, our secondary looked to be very talented coming into this season, and they've suddenly been rendered completely useless. The players are an issue... the talent's not great, but it's certainly not as bad as this garbage. There's clearly no ability right now to put guy's into position to make plays on that side of the ball.

Offensively, we're becoming more watchable than this team has been in sometime, but the regression on defense has made it impossible to win any games in the forseeable future. We are not going to win when we are giving up 30-40 points every single week.

Hank Bullough, the "Doctor of Defense" is probably available. In addition to bringing in an experienced D coordinator, Chan can hear Hank's old war stories of what it's like to coach the NFL's worst team in Buffalo. Hank will then pull out a bumper sticker from his head coaching days that says "Bring Pro Football Back To Buffalo" and say to Chan "There are none of these popping up on cars yet, you've got it easy, son."

Edwards should get canned this week. Our D has been nothing short of Terrible, and while I realize we dont have the most talent, George Edwards' D has been inexcusable. He has to be fired, anything less would be yet another epic fail for this team. If this is a "rebuilding" year then cut our losses now with him and bring in someone else, and lets rebuild with someone whos D doesnt allow 30 a game.

And yes, I know we switchd schemes, and we lost our ony decnt pass rusher, and our offense rarely sustains drives. But there is no question the blame falls squarely on Edwards shoulders. This is still a professional football team, and under no circumstances should they be allowing 30 points every game.

I was at the game today and as always are D didn't have a clue. I don't think if i'm head coach of a Nfl football team i'm not gonna hire a DC thats never been one before. All our other head coach;s hired OC with no experience, and they paid for it. Our new coach now made the same mistake with defence now he's paying for it. I'd like to see someone in there who has at least done it before and has been proven like Ted Cotrel for thought.

I could not agree more with you. I was there too and they were horrible. They literally are horrendous. 80-90% of this board last year seemed so enamored with the 3-4 screaming for a change and as I stated back then there is just no talent for a 3-4 on this team and in so doing creates about 5 more needs on the front 7. The D was not very good last year but kept the Bills in almost every single game last year and if allowed to stay off the field for more than a minute as the Bills were at the top of the league in 3 and outs they would have been even better statistically. They also created turnovers. This team looked twenty times better with Fewell as coach and played with energy and heart. Had we kept our "old" defense (I know we were minus Schobel but he maybe comes back in a 4-3 with some leniency for his scheedule) this offense is fair and 26 points on the Jags wins games for 95% of the league. The Bills are probably 2-3 or 3-2 with even a fair defense.

Edwards is WAY over his head and an objective defensive eye could come in and make it better. They are by far keeping this team back. If you looked at our D last year you would say get me a stud DT and get me a stud LB and I'll keep everything else the same. The way we are now makes you think we need a new front 6 of 7.

This is directed to Ray and those of you who were at the game. Is what I'm seeing on TV accurate, in terms of coverage? It seems that we keep getting LB's covering WR's down field, consistently enough that it seems by design. If you were at the game, I'd like your thoughts on this as you'd have a much better view of what was going on. It seems like, the strength of our defense (the secondary) isn't even around on many pass attempts. What are they doing out there?

This is directed to Ray and those of you who were at the game. Is what I'm seeing on TV accurate, in terms of coverage? It seems that we keep getting LB's covering WR's down field, consistently enough that it seems by design. If you were at the game, I'd like your thoughts on this as you'd have a much better view of what was going on. It seems like, the strength of our defense (the secondary) isn't even around on many pass attempts. What are they doing out there?

I think our secondary talent is fine. I do think Byrd has been out of place a few throws. However, most of it has to do with EVERY QB we play having 6-7 seconds to survey the field and you can literally see every route develop just as scripted. No pressure at all. But you are correct in that some plays....like the TD play with Kelsay covering a TE yet again (really?? The coaching staff has not learned this doesn't work). I saw that play develop and as soon as the snap occurred you could see the mismatch. Same as on the TD where Poz was covering.

The Bills coaches seem to have a knack for putting the players in the positions they are least likely to succeed. The CBs overall had very good coverage, it is just very hard to cover for 5-7 seconds while at the same time letting the QB step into throws as there is no pressure up the middle at all.

I was at the game today and as always are D didn't have a clue. I don't think if i'm head coach of a Nfl football team i'm not gonna hire a DC thats never been one before. All our other head coach;s hired OC with no experience, and they paid for it. Our new coach now made the same mistake with defence now he's paying for it. I'd like to see someone in there who has at least done it before and has been proven like Ted Cotrel for thought.

I initially thought George Edwards was going to be alright. In reality, the problem could be him as a d-coordinator, or the problem could be the talent he is working with. I think the problem is most likely the lack of talent at key positions that are needed for the 3-4 to be succesful.

Everyone says the Dolphins defense is so much better without George Edwards, especially the linebackers...most notably the inside linebackers. But they have Mike Nolan coaching the defense, instead of Paul Pasqualoni...and most importantly, they added Karlos Dansby and Koa Misi. I also think missing Channing Crowder has hurt them a little. However, one of their biggest improvements has been their defensive line and especially their secondary. So, of course their defense is going to be better.

I wouldn't put all the blame on Edwards, or compare anything to his stint with the Dolphins and say, "He doesn't have what it taks to be an NFL Defensive Coordinator." I think if he had quality talent at HIS position, he would be a little better. But...if there HAD to be a change...why not George Catavolos? :thumbsup:

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

btw - you cant just put kelsay back at DE. he changed his body weight to play the lb position, if you put him on DE hes gonna be too small. and since he was never a pass rusher he would be even less productive as the containment DE that he was fairly decent at doing

Edwards will survive until the season is over. After that the Bills should look to improve all position, including coaching staff.

We played a 4-3 against the Jags and it did not help. Prior to that we had been playing the 4-3 a lot. Are defense is bad for these reasons:

1 - We have the worst LBs in the league. None of them can rush the passer like a 3-4 requires; and none of them can cover like a 3-4 requires. They are very poor in any alignment.

2 - We have a very weak DL. They believe that Kelsey is their best so there you go. Stroud is at the end of the road. Edwards is not a pass rusher. Kyle Williams is a solid role player at best. There is no bench strength as Troup and Carrington are learning. Spencer and McCargo will be cut next year and out of football for good.

3 - Secondary - a good unit that suffers from no pass rush. I also see a difference in the play of the safeties this year. They are very deep and always late to the play. Byrd is playing so deep that he is never in the play and as a result has no pics. Byrd and Whitner have been horrid in the red zone as they play deep in the end zone and watch opposing reciever catch TDs. I think you can blame the new coaches for this aspect of bad play.

I'm in agreement that it's largely the coaching. I think the players look lost, and when you're a player and thinking too much about where you are suppossed to be, you're slow, or overpursue.

Despite the fact Kelsay gets burnt time and time again, there remains no adjustment for it.

The secondary, despite being one of the best in the league, is rarely in the position to get a takeaway.

I think it's an act of desperation to try all these schemes. 4-3, 4/2/5 and the occasional 3-4. Again, this isn't Madden where you can have the same group of players running out there with a different defense every down. What's next? Will we see the 46?

I'm still perplexed as to why this team does not bring in some available outside linebackers like Burgess or Thomas.

I think where people like myself have the problem are that this "regime" came in looked at the personnel and said let's change to the 3-4 when you had absolutely NO players suitable to it. Stroud had never played it, Williams is NOT a NT. You were switching Kelsay to an OLB where he would be playing in space against TEs etc....Anybody who has watched this team (we did not need to watch the game tape) could tell you this was a huge prescription for disaster. And it has been. If you watched this team last year you would say this team is a LB and very good DT away from being a very good defense as the secondary is fine.

I know yesterday they tried different things....things they have not been doing and by doing so many players looked lost. Do you really want Poz covering a WR and Kelsay a TE?

Why not blitz at all?