We Don't Blitz

The Big Cat

I'm on record as touting our defensive secondary as our team's strongest unit. I stand by that claim, and would go so far as to say we should give them more responsibility in the scheme.

IMO, the most effective way to accomplish this by doing something we rarely do: BLITZ.

Posters here are right to rail against our pass-rush. But the truth of the matter is, the only time we ever see anything which even remotely resembles a pass rush is when we send an extra linebacker, or a corner, or a safety on a blitz. What a novel idea! Watching other teams who consistently pressure the quarterback, they're always sending a guy from the backfield.

I think our secondary is strong enough to lock up on the receivers (see: Jets defensive strategy). It's high risk, high reward, no doubt, but at this point, our defense couldn't POSSIBLY be worse, so we might as well do something to put ourselves in a position to make a big play.

Trent Edwards wasn't cutting it, he gone.

Marshawn Lynch wasn't cutting it, he gone.

IMO, George Edwards, by playing too conservatively (something we're not strong enough up front to do) isn't cutting it. Bye week coming up, he gone?

Another factor in lack of pass rush is when we run a four man front there are really no 4-3 ends rushing. We basically play a 4-3 with 4 dts rushing with stroud and dawn Edwards at end, Williams and troup or s Johnson at dt. Serious lack of speed and explosiveness

I'm on record as touting our defensive secondary as our team's strongest unit. I stand by that claim, and would go so far as to say we should give them more responsibility in the scheme.

IMO, the most effective way to accomplish this by doing something we rarely do: BLITZ.

Posters here are right to rail against our pass-rush. But the truth of the matter is, the only time we ever see anything which even remotely resembles a pass rush is when we send an extra linebacker, or a corner, or a safety on a blitz. What a novel idea! Watching other teams who consistently pressure the quarterback, they're always sending a guy from the backfield.

I think our secondary is strong enough to lock up on the receivers (see: Jets defensive strategy). It's high risk, high reward, no doubt, but at this point, our defense couldn't POSSIBLY be worse, so we might as well do something to put ourselves in a position to make a big play.

IMO, George Edwards, by playing too conservatively (something we're not strong enough up front to do) isn't cutting it. Bye week coming up, he gone?

Where in the world is the zone blitz? It's the main reason you'd want to use a 3-4, and yet we're so generic up front. It seems like Edwards is content with playing 2 deep man under and rush 4 the entire game, it's really pathetic. He's in over his head.

My questions is, why/how was hired at Florida and then Buffalo? It's not like we were the only program that saw potential in him, something's missing. He's going to get the ax, it's inevitable at this point, unless we see a massive turnaround in our D.

Edited by bouds

Couldn't agree more. Chan was supposed to be the guy that got the most out of what he had and called plays to use his personals best sttributes. Edwards has done the opposite. Can his arse

I wholeheartedly agree. Edwards has not only not helped any facet of this defense since coming here, he has taken a pass defense that was rated in the top 5(mostly top 3) in every single defensive passing statistic last year and turned it into a bad unit that covers noone and gets no interceptions(other than on tipped passes that would have been completed).

Bills had 28 int's last year, 2nd in the NFL, and have 1 this year in 5 games. It is an absolute indictment on Edwards that you could turn this strong of a unit into one that sucks. Run defense is as bad if not worse. Team doesn't even hold in the redzone like they used to anymore. Have allowed the most points and rushing yards in the NFL, and set a franchise record for having 4 straight games allowing more than 30 points. I don't know how he could be doing a worse job than he is right now, IMHO.

Good thread Big Cat.

Today they sent Reggie Corner on a blitz and two positive things hapened, the Jaguars were flaged for holding and Corner was able to hit the QB. After that? One time is enough I guess. We tried a couple of stunts but as FluffHead said the front four consisted of the all DT formation.

Edwards needs to snap fast of this inept defense or he will find himself without a job.

If we could only cover a Tight End we might be able to do that.

But wouldn't it be better if you know it but still you try to hurry the other QB in order to not get killed by said TE?

you don't blitz because you're the best, you blitz because you don't have the best personell and you never will, realistically speaking. We're playing as if we had Bruce and Reggie rushing the passer with only four. The results are painfully obvious, we can't affor to rush four because we will never get to the QB. We need to be a little more daring and I don't see it with Edwards.

Absolutely. name Sanders interim for rest of year.

Edited by Big Bad Broise

Another factor in lack of pass rush is when we run a four man front there are really no 4-3 ends rushing. We basically play a 4-3 with 4 dts rushing with stroud and dawn Edwards at end, Williams and troup or s Johnson at dt. Serious lack of speed and explosiveness

One-man pass rushes like B.Smith, Freeney, etc, these aren't manufactured defenses. Theses are defenses anchored by rare and superior talent. To rely on your push from up front is a luxury.

Where in the world is the zone blitz? It's the main reason you'd want to use a 3-4, and yet we're so generic up front. It seems like Edwards is content with playing 2 deep man under and rush 4 the entire game, it's really pathetic. He's in over his head.

My questions is, why/how was hired at Florida and then Buffalo? It's not like we were the only program that saw potential in him, something's missing. He's going to get the ax, it's inevitable at this point, unless we see a massive turnaround in our D.

Point in case: when we blitzed Byrd AND Corner from the same side today. The result? A sack AND a hold on the play. Gee, funny how that works.

I wholeheartedly agree. Edwards has not only not helped any facet of this defense since coming here, he has taken a pass defense that was rated in the top 5(mostly top 3) in every single defensive passing statistic last year and turned it into a bad unit that covers noone and gets no interceptions(other than on tipped passes that would have been completed).

Bills had 28 int's last year, 2nd in the NFL, and have 1 this year in 5 games. It is an absolute indictment on Edwards that you could turn this strong of a unit into one that sucks. Run defense is as bad if not worse. Team doesn't even hold in the redzone like they used to anymore. Have allowed the most points and rushing yards in the NFL, and set a franchise record for having 4 straight games allowing more than 30 points. I don't know how he could be doing a worse job than he is right now, IMHO.

Agreed completely, why are our defensive backs NO WHERE TO BE FOUND when the quarterback throws 10+ yards? Not to mention, what's the historical precedent on giving up 34, 38, 38, and 36 points in CONSECUTIVE game?

If we could only cover a Tight End we might be able to do that.

The tight end wouldn't have 4 seconds to find a secondary cushion if there was a safety/corner blitz. They'd be a release valve, but that's why you rush a quarterback, to reduce his accuracy, even on those short, quick, timing throws needed to beat a heavy blitz.

But wouldn't it be better if you know it but still you try to hurry the other QB in order to not get killed by said TE?

you don't blitz because you're the best, you blitz because you don't have the best personell and you never will, realistically speaking. We're playing as if we had Bruce and Reggie rushing the passer with only four. The results are painfully obvious, we can't affor to rush four because we will never get to the QB. We need to be a little more daring and I don't see it with Edwards.

Exactly my point. Look at the Jets. They went out and got elite talent at cornerback so they could leave those guys on an island and constantly put pressure on the quarterback from the secondary. I think our cornerbacks from McGee (when he's back), McKelvin, and Florence, could fit this role almost as well.

Edited by The Big Cat

Yep. What do we possibly have to lose by getting more creative /aggressive? (except more games, which we will lose anyway as each opposing QB sits back there all day)